ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID-19 news. Out of over 3000 positive tests in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember late last year when all these blackmarket THC vapers were suffering lung injuries? Shortness of breath, trouble breathing, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and then needed to be hospitalized?
Funny thing; these cartridges by and large came from China.

There is a really good documentary series on Netflix now about this pandemic, narrated by J.K. Simmons. HIGHLY recommended.

Remember late last year when all these blackmarket THC vapers were suffering lung injuries? Shortness of breath, trouble breathing, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and then needed to be hospitalized?
Just like everything gives you cancer in Cali, it's because everything comes from china

Reactions: OzzyLvr and bluenrg
Social distancing definitely helps, but it’s impossible to say by how much. I know I talk a lot about S Korea, but they managed to keep it well controlled after the initial outbreak. And they did not have social distancing and lockdown to the same level that you see in a lot of places here. Intelligent social distancing and the widespread use of masks helped out a lot there. Their test, track and trace program worked wonders, but we aren’t capable of putting that into place here.
You have to remember that S. Korea is a lot different place than here. Their only land border is with a country they are technically still at war with. It was very easy for them to rapidly shut things down. There is no way in hell that our citizens would have allowed our government to do what S. Korea did when they did it. I said back at the end of January I believe that we needed to shut down air travel and mass transit in the U.S. Politically though at that time it would have been impossible to do.

Side note to all of this: I'm sure some have heard about the discovery that a lot more people may have had COVID 19 in California than previously thought because of the presence of antibodies. But now experts are wondering if they are false positives caused by the presence of other coronavirus antibodies, e.g. from people having the "common cold."
California studies are invalid because they only tested a limited cross-section of society...young...mobile people people who use facebook and had symptoms prior to getting the antibody test. The prison test just shows how easily this spreads in contained environments...but we already knew that...and we see it with packing plants. Thank gourd we shut schools early. The projections are that about 10% of America will have this by June 1st...which is is 30 million, and much higher than reported but...probably too small for herd immunity...

One of the articles I read said...don't start smoking just because of the study because smoking kills 50% of those who start. Mortality rate for Covid...0.5%, mortality rate for smoking 50%...lets start smoking.

Evidently the fatality rate is all that matters, so total death count is no biggie. I would agree. Take Vietnam for instance, of the over 9 million that served in the military during that time only 58,000 died for a 0.6% fatality rate. Very similar death rates, so it’s all good... shoot, 9/11 only killed a few thousand and it was totally blown out of proportion too.. why put up memorials as long as the percentages are low?

Lancaster Co, Lincoln, I will continue to wear my respirator in public at grocery stores. I am not ready to hang out downtown open-faced.

I think that relieving all DHM is a bad move without following with a DHM that makes masks a must for now and into the months ahead.

We have NOT beaten this virus and we need to be smart. We need to take it into our own hands and as a community lock it down.

A second wave is right around the corner and we are just asking for it.

I'm so mad on top of it all.... nobody in Lincoln wore masks until 2 weeks ago!!!!

Honestly, I'd walk in and people would stand shoulder to shoulder. WTF!?!

You have to remember that S. Korea is a lot different place than here. Their only land border is with a country they are technically still at war with. It was very easy for them to rapidly shut things down. There is no way in hell that our citizens would have allowed our government to do what S. Korea did when they did it. I said back at the end of January I believe that we needed to shut down air travel and mass transit in the U.S. Politically though at that time it would have been impossible to do.
Well, Korea didn't shut down their borders rapidly though. In fact, their President took a lot of heat early on for acting slowly to shut down flights from China. And Korea was one of the first countries where this whole thing blew up after China. Most travel restrictions were the result of other countries shutting down flights from Korea and discouraging their citizens from traveling there. Korea gradually increased restrictions on incoming travelers as it spread to other countries. I have followed this on a daily basis since I had multiple trips planned there and I was affected directly.

Give us the “Dudz notes.”

It just explains what is going on and how it happened. Dudz Notes:

1.) There are 7 types of Corona Viruses currently known to infect humans. 4 cause common colds. 1 is the first SARS, 1 is MERS. This new one is SARS-2. SARS-1 and MERS were scary but not anywhere near as dangerous as SARS-2, because you had to be pretty virulently infected to spread those two diseases. This one is much, much easier to spread.
- The 4 that cause common colds come with immunity for 1-2 years after infection. Immunity to SARS-1 and MERS was never fully established, but likely. Same with SARS-2; it will probably provide immunity for at least 1-2 years if you get infected/get the vaccine, once it exists.

2.) This one came from bats. They can tell because it is 96% identical to a virus that had already been studied in Southern China. It is slightly mutated, which means it either got into contact with humans, or first a pangolin, snake, fish, or pig, then a human. This is actually how the Spanish Flu started: on a farm in Kansas, where the flu went from a bird, to a pig, to a human, very quickly.
- Bats, weirdly, carry a shit-load of viruses because they have really bizarre immune systems and viruses don't really bother them that much. It made it sound like bat immune systems kind of ignore viruses, so they carry them for a long period of time without getting infected.

3.) Viruses that hop from animals to humans are very scary and could be increasingly more common; deforestation and industrialized farming puts humans in contact with animals in close proximity for periods of time that are kind of unique to our modern way of life. This is why viruses come from China and Africa often these days; these are countries where industrialization, mining, and intensive farming are bringing humans into contact with wild animals more and more often. This is also why the whole "this came from a lab" bullshit is so misleading and stupid; countries, and the WHO, pay for teams to go to these areas and take samples from bats and other animals in the vicinity to prepare for anything that "could" be coming. These things are done for preventative and research measures, not for any other reason.

4.) Herd Immunity is the best way to stop a virus in its tracks. By decreasing the number of people a virus can jump to, you increase the odds that it won't transmit and it'll just die off. They had a really great visual on this using circles. The herd-immune people act like a road block, so maybe only 30% of the population is immune, but it makes it that much harder for the virus to travel around, which often means it fails. Vaccination, by the way, is simply a short-cut to herd immunity. This makes sense, I just hadn't thought of it before.

5.) Supply chain problems for tests and protective gear and inadequate preparation are why the outbreaks have been so bad. China's was like 90% worse than it could have been if they'd just acted 3 weeks sooner. Same goes for Italy, and for the US. South Korea is an example of a country that mobilized quickly and was able to test widely, which allowed them to track the virus's movement accurately and not have to shut their country down (much).

6.) There is no hope of beating this until we reach herd immunity. We may devise treatments to lower mortality (good), but this novel virus only goes away when it can't really spread and not very many people can be made sick by it.

California studies are invalid because they only tested a limited cross-section of society...young...mobile people people who use facebook and had symptoms prior to getting the antibody test. The prison test just shows how easily this spreads in contained environments...but we already knew that...and we see it with packing plants. Thank gourd we shut schools early. The projections are that about 10% of America will have this by June 1st...which is is 30 million, and much higher than reported but...probably too small for herd immunity...
They aren't invalid, they just aren't correct. Its like not getting 100% on a test, a 95% is still good enough to give you an idea of things.
To get glimpses is superior to the models excluding the majority of infected people,which are much more skewed, yet, as we pass 60,000, those are what we're using.

Excuding these numbers has been our folly in trying to get things right, so, even a fuzzy glimpse shows just how foolish our modeling has been.

Evidently the fatality rate is all that matters, so total death count is no biggie. I would agree. Take Vietnam for instance, of the over 9 million that served in the military during that time only 58,000 died for a 0.6% fatality rate. Very similar death rates, so it’s all good... shoot, 9/11 only killed a few thousand and it was totally blown out of proportion too.. why put up memorials as long as the percentages are low?
Whole thing is, since it seems you knew this from thebeginning, the rest of the world was concerned thered be a 6-10% death rate, but hey, some can scough now it seems?
Know its likely 30-80 less lethal is good news,except for those that already knew?

Lancaster Co, Lincoln, I will continue to wear my respirator in public at grocery stores. I am not ready to hang out downtown open-faced.

I think that relieving all DHM is a bad move without following with a DHM that makes masks a must for now and into the months ahead.

We have NOT beaten this virus and we need to be smart. We need to take it into our own hands and as a community lock it down.

A second wave is right around the corner and we are just asking for it.
As we should, until we realize there's no stopping it. None, nada, zip, can't stop this monster.
We can slow it, more humid weather, higher uv rays from the sun, wearing our PPE, washing our hands etc, but it's still coming.

Just to be clear, the "California Test" isn't invalid - it just hasn't been peer reviewed yet (which doesn't mean it is invalid at this point). This is just another piece of information that could be used to determine how widespread this is already and how deadly it could eventually be.

Today's Fresh Air does a great job of explaining why we absolutely cannot open the economy back up and stop social distancing yet. We have 30,000+ new cases of this illness a DAY here.

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Sorry. I started to listen to the podcast, even though it was NPR. I even kept an open mind when the guest was from the NY Times. I got all the way to 2:45 into the podcast when the guest said that China didn't allow their economy to reopen until there were 0 new reinfections a day. That was strike 3 as far as I am concerned - yer out! Maybe there was something worthwhile after that, but if the guest (who is supposed to be an objective reporter) is touting China propaganda then the entire segment lost all credibility.

Sorry. I started to listen to the podcast, even though it was NPR. I even kept an open mind when the guest was from the NY Times. I got all the way to 2:45 into the podcast when the guest said that China didn't allow their economy to reopen until there were 0 new reinfections a day. That was strike 3 as far as I am concerned - yer out! Maybe there was something worthwhile after that, but if the guest (who is supposed to be an objective reporter) is touting China propaganda then the entire segment lost all credibility.

You need to listen to the whole show. Also, this will clear up what he's talking about for you. This shows China's reported numbers with the virus. It also explains how they get their data, and which organizations rely on their data. Pay particular attention to the New Cases graph.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

It turns out that that reporter, who has been on The Daily a lot and who has, so far, been pretty much dead on target with his analysis and predictions, and who has been working as a reporter since the 1970's, was not mis-speaking or disseminating propaganda, he was accurately describing China's response.

Also, NPR, along with PBS, provide the best reporting and analysis available in our country. If you don't like them, then you probably should think pretty hard about why that is.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...robably-wont-agree-with-this-chart-2018-02-28

Also, NPR, along with PBS, provide the best reporting and analysis available in our country. If you don't like them, then you probably should think pretty hard about why that is.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...robably-wont-agree-with-this-chart-2018-02-28

As someone who is pretty moderate politically (outside of 2A issues) that chart is laughably slanted in favor of the left. I think their rating of NPR is a tad more center than I would put it, and I would shift PBS a little more towards the center, so those aren't terrible. The big things I noticed though...

-Fox News is farther right than Vox, Mother Jones, HuffPo, and Slate are left, and Fox News is propaganda whereas the other are closer to analysis? Fox News no doubt skews right in their opinion programs, less so in their news reporting. But come on.

-Those 4 are probably comparable to The Daily Wire on the conservative side as far as bias in reporting. So, either move The Daily Wire up or move those 4 down.

-The chart is older I believe so maybe it doesn't account for it, but CNN has shifted farther left or at least as far left as MSNBC. Honestly, I've long considered MSNBC and Fox News to be the two sides that balance, and CNN WAS the center. However, since the last election, CNN has shifted massively. Honestly, if you watch much commentary on CNN, it's hard to argue it's any less propaganda than Fox News is.

My favorite quite from the article though...

"If you look at this chart and are convinced your 'extreme' source belongs in the middle, you just might be part of the problem plaguing America today."

So, if you don't agree with our analysis, YOU'RE the problem. Laughing

As someone who is pretty moderate politically (outside of 2A issues) that chart is laughably slanted in favor of the left. I think their rating of NPR is a tad more center than I would put it, and I would shift PBS a little more towards the center, so those aren't terrible. The big things I noticed though...

-Fox News is farther right than Vox, Mother Jones, HuffPo, and Slate are left, and Fox News is propaganda whereas the other are closer to analysis? Fox News no doubt skews right in their opinion programs, less so in their news reporting. But come on.

-Those 4 are probably comparable to The Daily Wire on the conservative side as far as bias in reporting. So, either move The Daily Wire up or move those 4 down.

-The chart is older I believe so maybe it doesn't account for it, but CNN has shifted farther left or at least as far left as MSNBC. Honestly, I've long considered MSNBC and Fox News to be the two sides that balance, and CNN WAS the center. However, since the last election, CNN has shifted massively. Honestly, if you watch much commentary on CNN, it's hard to argue it's any less propaganda than Fox News is.

My favorite quite from the article though...

"If you look at this chart and are convinced your 'extreme' source belongs in the middle, you just might be part of the problem plaguing America today."

So, if you don't agree with our analysis, YOU'RE the problem. Laughing

I think the key word there is "extreme." You are kind of defending Fox News a whole bunch, which absolutely IS propaganda. And what you just articulated about CNN drifting left (as you suggest, this is probably in response to Trump and his long-standing antagonism towards CNN and Ted Turner rather than a deliberate ideological shift, and thus I would argue it's just that they are anti-Trump in their commentary, not so much "left"), is absolutely true about Fox News shifting...it's not even "right," its crack-pot bullshit. Which is what this chart shows.

As to the "extreme" part, well, even if we accept your slight reclassification of NPR and PBS, (which I do not, this is just a hypothetical, but I would call what you said at least a fair-minded differing view on them from myself), they're still pretty darn close to the center and they still provide "green rectangle" information, or "news." The grey circle they reside in, as it indicates, can drop down into "interpretation" of the news, but it's still considered at least "fair."

Other telltale signs of a sinister conspiracy:
  • Most people who were in a bicycle accident in the past 10 years were riding a bike made in China.
  • Most of the dopes who blew off part of their hand while holding a lit firecracker - China!
  • When someone drops a plate on the floor and it breaks, there's a good chance it said Made in China on the back.

Other telltale signs of a sinister conspiracy:
  • Most people who were in a bicycle accident in the past 10 years were riding a bike made in China.
  • Most of the dopes who blew off part of their hand while holding a lit firecracker - China!
  • When someone drops a plate on the floor and it breaks, there's a good chance it said Made in China on the back.

Lol that's awesome

Lol. If someone believes that China has achieved zero new cases in any day since this thing has started, they have probably been freshly lobotomized (best case scenario).

So it turns out the Chinese aids has less than a fraction of a percent kill rate and overall this just wasn't nearly the big deal it was made out to be...it's past time to stop the nonsense and open the country back up and let this run it's course...but everyone who is still unsure is free to stay home if they like. Biggest overaction to anything in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT