ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Computer Question

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Ever since Microsoft released the update for Windows, Windows now reinstalls itself every time I turn off and restart my laptop. In doing so I then always lose all of my saved passwords and favorites/bookmarks. Probably a dumb question but is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks.

It sounds like you might be logging in to a Temporary Profile. Known bug with some windows updates.

Can you browse the C Drive and see the Users folder and see if there is a temp folder under c:\users\

Some have success with restarting the computer 4 times logging in each time then restarting. For some that does not work and they have to take the long road like the article below.

Reactions: RedCap
It sounds like you might be logging in to a Temporary Profile. Known bug with some windows updates.

Can you browse the C Drive and see the Users folder and see if there is a temp folder under c:\users\

Some have success with restarting the computer 4 times logging in each time then restarting. For some that does not work and they have to take the long road like the article below.
Will try that tonight. Thanks.

Just came across this article this morning. Seems like I'm not the only one who has experienced Windows 10 Update frustration:

Windows 10 Article

I use Chrome for my surfing. I can log into Chrome from any device, it will automatically loads my bookmarks, usernames, passwords, etc. So my device can go bye-bye and it's very simple to log back into Chrome and get my internet browser up and running just the way I like it.

One option is to check if your laptop is set to automatically install updates. You can go to the Windows Update settings and disable automatic updates or configure them to install at a time that is convenient for you.

Another solution is to create a backup of your important data, including your passwords and bookmarks, before restarting your laptop. This way, even if Windows reinstalls itself, you can restore your data from the backup.

By the way, when I encountered similar issues in the past, I also made sure that I had a genuine windows key to ensure smooth performance and updates. It's always important to use legitimate software to avoid any unexpected issues.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Just came across this article this morning. Seems like I'm not the only one who has experienced Windows 10 Update frustration:

Windows 10 Article
It crashed my laptop and made multiple programs unusable without buying new updated versions from Microsoft. It also blocks me from installing an antivirus different from Windows defender.

It also blocks me from installing an antivirus different from Windows defender.
That would be illegal for them to do since they are abusing their OS monopoly to leverage their way into other areas. They’ve gotten in trouble for this before but they never stop trying.

By the way, what anti-spyware are you using. I have both spybot and Malwarebytes and haven’t had an issue with Windows. But I’m still on Win10 and haven’t upgraded to 11 no matter how many times they have tried to get me to.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
That would be illegal for them to do since they are abusing their OS monopoly to leverage their way into other areas. They’ve gotten in trouble for this before but they never stop trying.

By the way, what anti-spyware are you using. I have both spybot and Malwarebytes and haven’t had an issue with Windows. But I’m still on Win10 and haven’t upgraded to 11 no matter how many times they have tried to get me to.
Mine updated automatically. The issue is that I would have to completely inactivate all firewalls and Windows security to re-install Eset. I’m afraid to do that.

One option is to check if your laptop is set to automatically install updates. You can go to the Windows Update settings and disable automatic updates or configure them to install at a time that is convenient for you.
You all are responding to a bot about a 2 1/2 year old thread.

Ever since Microsoft released the update for Windows, Windows now reinstalls itself every time I turn off and restart my laptop. In doing so I then always lose all of my saved passwords and favorites/bookmarks. Probably a dumb question but is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks.
Take your favorite gun, now carryable w/o permit in Nebraska, and shoot your computer in the face.

ADVERTISEMENT