ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colonel Taylor Bourbon

Had that a while back, good stuff. It's from the Buffalo Trace family, right?

Yes. Made at that distillery. Explains why I like it. I love Buffalo Trace too. But that stuff is hard to find out here in PA. We have to buy liquor in the State run liquor stores. And those idiots never order enough. It is gone off the shelves in hours
Communist PA

Communist PA
You got that right. We have the most backward liquor laws of any State, save Utah. All liquor has to be bought in State stores. That includes wine. All beer has to be purchased at an officially licensed beer distributor AND you have to buy a case of it. No six packs. They passed a law a few years ago that finally allows grocery stores to sell six packs of beer and wine. BUT, it has to be in a designated area where there must also be a dining area with a small cafe. Absurd.

Reactions: headcard
Yes. Made at that distillery. Explains why I like it. I love Buffalo Trace too. But that stuff is hard to find out here in PA. We have to buy liquor in the State run liquor stores. And those idiots never order enough. It is gone off the shelves in hours

State run? WTF- move to Texas—never had problems getting Buffalo or any other bourbon..... hell they have a distillery here in Ft. Worth (TXwhiskey) and a whiskey garden that’s awesome.
Breweries (rahr and Martin house) as well...
That sounds as stupid as those idiots in Oregon with the gas pumping....

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Which type did you get? Small batch is great and not too pricey, single barrel steps up in both but may be my favorite whiskey right now. Their rye is even more but excellent. The one I want to find I have only had a pour in a bar, that is the four grain, very limited distribution from what I understand but fantastic.

Reactions: Huskerflick
State run? WTF- move to Texas—never had problems getting Buffalo or any other bourbon..... hell they have a distillery here in Ft. Worth (TXwhiskey) and a whiskey garden that’s awesome.
Breweries (rahr and Martin house) as well...
That sounds as stupid as those idiots in Oregon with the gas pumping....
It is completely stupid. And everyone out here admits that it is stupid. But the state liquor workers are unionized and have all kinds of contracts with various clauses basically guaranteeing them a job for life.

Which type did you get? Small batch is great and not too pricey, single barrel steps up in both but may be my favorite whiskey right now. Their rye is even more but excellent. The one I want to find I have only had a pour in a bar, that is the four grain, very limited distribution from what I understand but fantastic.
I have the rye

I’m sipping on an Old Forrster 1920 right now and it’s terrific.

You got that right. We have the most backward liquor laws of any State, save Utah. All liquor has to be bought in State stores. That includes wine. All beer has to be purchased at an officially licensed beer distributor AND you have to buy a case of it. No six packs. They passed a law a few years ago that finally allows grocery stores to sell six packs of beer and wine. BUT, it has to be in a designated area where there must also be a dining area with a small cafe. Absurd.
Same in Oregon, except for Beer & Wine, you can buy that at any food store . Either in ones, or twos.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
You guys ever try Jefferson’s Reserve or Ocean Aged? Both are excellent IMO.

I’d love to try the Presidential Select but I don’t have the money to be paying that much for brown liquor.

I need to get something from the Buffalo Trace family. Toured the distillery and liked the samples we tried. Their bourbon cream is awesome, a prefer it over Bailey's when it comes to cream liquors.

My go-to is Woodford Reserve, followed by Makers Mark and/or Maker's 46 depending on my mood. My father in law got a bottle of Old Granddad from us for Father's Day (his first as a grandpa, so fitting) and its pretty nice.

I recently got into scotches, my first spendy bottle is Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask that my wife got me for Valentine's Day last year, and I waited until my son was born to open it and celebrate. As someone who likes rum, it was a good way to dip my toe in given it has some rum notes and is on the sweeter side since it is a speyside.

On another note, if you ever get a chance I highly recommend hitting the distilleries in Kentucky for tours. Woodford was a really good tour, as was Makers (BEAUTIFUL property). Four Roses was meh, Buffalo Trace was nice but you don't get to see much. The bus was broken at Wild Turkey so we didn't get to actually go I'm the tour there. I'm hoping to try to complete the rest of the "Bourbon Trail" distilleries the next time we're down there.

Last edited:
But maybe it is worth it. This rye I am drinking is damn good
The rye is close to $90 a bottle in Denver, small batch is something around $30. I have found single barrel as low as $55.

The rye is great so much pepper and spice up front. What sold me on the Colonel is the flavor and burn seem more in the taste and less in the finish, it just seems to go down smooth but you get an explosion of flavor. A lot of fire in the initial taste and sweet finish. Sound anything close to how you experience it?

I've had two Old Forester and really liked the 1897 BIB. I have a bottle Jefferson reserve but don't recall it...I've been trying too many others which tells me I must not be sold on it. (Friends and family indulge my habit and gift whiskey way too often). I'll pour myself some soon though and refresh my memory.

A sneaky good rye, that is an any day kind of drinker is Redemption Rye which is around $30.
My favorite for introducing people to bourbon is Angel's Envy with port wine barrel finish. Just seems to be more drinkable for those who haven't had much whiskey.

I need to get something from the Buffalo Trace family. Toured the distillery and liked the samples we tried. Their bourbon cream is awesome, a prefer it over Bailey's when it comes to cream liquors.

My go-to is Woodford Reserve, followed by Makers Mark and/or Maker's 46 depending on my mood. My father in law got a bottle of Old Granddad from us for Father's Day (his first as a grandpa, so fitting) and its pretty nice.

I recently got into scotches, my first spendy bottle is Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask that my wife got me for Valentine's Day last year, and I waited until my son was born to open it and celebrate. As someone who likes rum, it was a good way to dip my toe in given it has some rum notes and is on the sweeter side since it is a speyside.

On another note, if you ever get a chance I highly recommend hitting the distilleries in Kentucky for tours. Woodford was a really good tour, as was Makers (BEAUTIFUL property). Four Roses was meh, Buffalo Trace was nice but you don't get to see much. The bus was broken at Wild Turkey so we didn't get to actually go I'm the tour there. I'm hoping to try to complete the rest of the "Bourbon Trail" distilleries the next time we're down there.
I would love to do that tour! Are there different companies who offer them? Any you recommend? Or is it better just to do it on your own?

The rye is close to $90 a bottle in Denver, small batch is something around $30. I have found single barrel as low as $55.

The rye is great so much pepper and spice up front. What sold me on the Colonel is the flavor and burn seem more in the taste and less in the finish, it just seems to go down smooth but you get an explosion of flavor. A lot of fire in the initial taste and sweet finish. Sound anything close to how you experience it?

I've had two Old Forester and really liked the 1897 BIB. I have a bottle Jefferson reserve but don't recall it...I've been trying too many others which tells me I must not be sold on it. (Friends and family indulge my habit and gift whiskey way too often). I'll pour myself some soon though and refresh my memory.

A sneaky good rye, that is an any day kind of drinker is Redemption Rye which is around $30.
My favorite for introducing people to bourbon is Angel's Envy with port wine barrel finish. Just seems to be more drinkable for those who haven't had much whiskey.
Yes, the Rye I had yesterday tasted just as you describe. Excellent! And I did not know it was so expensive. Damn. Now I owe my friend big time.

I would love to do that tour! Are there different companies who offer them? Any you recommend? Or is it better just to do it on your own?

You do it on your own, but there are a group of them that are considered the "Bourbon Trail" and you get a "passport" that can be marked off at each one. If you get them all, you get an exclusive T-shirt or something I think.

The ones on the trail are (according to Wikipedia):
-Angel's Envy Distillery in Louisville
-Bulleit Frontier Whiskey Experience at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville
-Evan Williams Bourbon Experience in Louisville
-Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg
-Heaven Hill's visitor's center in Bardstown
-Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont
-Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto
-Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company in Lexington
-Wild Turkey Distillery in Lawrenceburg
-Woodford Reserve Distillery near Versailles

For some reason I think they might have another, but I can't get their website to work on my phone right.

Of what I've been to so far, Makers and Woodford are my favorites. Makers is #1, like I said before absolutely beautiful property it sits on, good tour, and you can pay to dip your own bottle (which I gladly did!). Woodford is a close second, the distillery has a very upscale feel and the tour was very informative. Pretty much all of them have tastings at the end, but at Woodford the guide actually TAUGHT us how to taste bourbon which is what got me into it more.

Four Roses wasn't terrible, but the tour wasn't as cool IMO and I'm not a fan of their bourbon. Architecture was cool though. Wild Turkey I didn't actually get to go on the tours since their tour bus was broken down, but the gift shop was nice. Woodford and Makers definitely had a more upscale and classy feel, IMO.

Buffalo Trace is also worth a stop even though they aren't part of the trail. You don't get to see as much but it's very informative. To be fair, you can make reservations and do a "hard hat" tour where you get to see more, but they weren't doing those when we went because they were in a shut-down period so can't comment on that. The cool thing with Buffalo Trace is their tours are free.

ADVERTISEMENT