ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Christmas Eats

F5Tornado

Senior
Jul 19, 2018
Staying home or going to someone else's place, what are you having? Taking chili, cornbread, and deviled eggs over to the in-laws house, what are you up to eats wise? Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
Staying home or going to someone else's place, what are you having? Taking chili, cornbread, and deviled eggs over to the in-laws house, what are you up to eats wise? Merry Christmas!
Did the 2 family Christmases last 2 days. Ham, Turkey, deviled eggs, chili, pickled herring, smoked oysters, BBQ smokies, green bean casserole, rolls, meat and cheese trays, mashed potatoes, baked beans, shrimp. And ya...many beers and cookies. Feel like a fat bastard.Sick

Last edited:
Did the 2 family Christmases last 2 days. Ham, Turkey, deviled eggs, chili, pickled herring, BBQ smokies, green bean casserole, meat and cheese trays, mashed potatoes, baked beans, shrimp. And ya...many beers and cookies. Feel like a fat bastard.Sick
Awesome!

Reactions: Lincoln100
Staying home.

Making Herb-Crusted Prime Rib. Dry Brined for 3 days. Roasted Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes. Red Wine Au Jus. Cherry Cheesecake. All from scratch. I am a fat bastard, not just feelings.

My dad brought over a prime rib yesterday. He cooked it at 500 in the oven for 5 minutes for every pound the meat was . Then turn the heat off and let it sit for 2 hours. It turned out awesome. Works for all kinds of meat.

Dun that before as well, and then put it over a wood burned flame and stayed with it and manually rotated it to give it the perfect crust, works amazing...

My dad brought over a prime rib yesterday. He cooked it at 500 in the oven for 5 minutes for every pound the meat was . Then turn the heat off and let it sit for 2 hours. It turned out awesome. Works for all kinds of meat.

Did it that way for years. I’ve now reversed it to low and slow (250°) until the temp I want then sear in 500° oven. I’ve been using a traeger for the low and slow. Gets more even medium rare edge to edge.

Did it that way for years. I’ve now reversed it to low and slow (250°) until the temp I want then sear in 500° oven. I’ve been using a traeger for the low and slow. Gets more even medium rare edge to edge.

Done both. The low and slow followed by the 500 sear is better imo. Have had a smoked prime rib which was delicious but don’t have a smoker. Just got a Sous Vide so that’s going to be the next thing I try.

My workplace provided a turkey for all the employees so we're having that tonight. In addition to turkey, we're having mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, green bean casserole, and a couple dessert options.

Reactions: huskerfan66
We’ve done takeout La Mesa the last 2 years. Price is right. Quality and service were much better last year than this year though.

No cinnamon rolls? Sacrilegious!!

Christmas eve is always cheddar chowder, shrimp cocktail, summer sausage and cheese tray, cannibal meat followed by watching a Christmas Carol w/George C Scott.

Christmas day at my Mom's house with all the siblings, grand kids and great grandkids.
Ham balls, roast beef, crock pot potatoes, salads too many to count, corn, bacon wrapped asparagus, sweet potatoes, rolls and homemade dill bread, pecan pie and berry medley pie. There was probably more!!

Christmas eve is always cheddar chowder, shrimp cocktail, summer sausage and cheese tray, cannibal meat followed by watching a Christmas Carol w/George C Scott.

Christmas day at my Mom's house with all the siblings, grand kids and great grandkids.
Ham balls, roast beef, crock pot potatoes, salads too many to count, corn, bacon wrapped asparagus, sweet potatoes, rolls and homemade dill bread, pecan pie and berry medley pie. There was probably more!!

Ham balls...that seriously sounds freaking fantastic.

Reactions: PennsylvaniaPride
Lobster tail and butter, with crimini risotto, green beans. And mead. Yep. Autumnal ****ing mead.

giphy.gif

Prime rib, mashed potatoes, gravy, fresh green peas. Would've preferred to cook the roast to Medium Rare but wife and a numbers of others wanted well done so I we compromised and cooked it to just over medium. Still it was delicious. (Just not as much as it could've been :rolleyes:)

Reactions: bigboxes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT