ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car Buffs...If you had the chance to purchase a car that

Gemini6

All-American
Sep 19, 2009
you loved during your youth and this time was a convertible version of that car (which I've always wanted).

would you buy the one that was more stock (Interior I had and loved, stock engine etc.) and looks almost identical (except for paint color) when you owned the car and was $2,000 less expensive

OR

would you buy the one that wasn't completely stock, (different interior/wheels, both which I'm ok with but don't love) but had a rebuilt engine and new muffler/exhaust? The asking price is $2,000 more.

My head says the second is the better deal, but my heart says go with the one that i fell in love with the first time around.
Both cars are the same color (white) btw.

I'm really torn.

Or.......go nuts and buy a modern day version with all the perks!

6 figure 1965 mustang......this would be my toy if i won the lottery. My son wants one to restore, I don't have the patience so I'd take this.

Revology

I'd go stock, the one you loved, as the decision maker. Follow your heart (before your mind stops you) on your classic car. You'll most likely have to put $$ in it.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

Originally posted by Gemini6:
you loved during your youth and this time was a convertible version of that car (which I've always wanted).

would you buy the one that was more stock (Interior I had and loved, stock engine etc.) and looks almost identical (except for paint color) when you owned the car and was $2,000 less expensive

OR

would you buy the one that wasn't completely stock, (different interior/wheels, both which I'm ok with but don't love) but had a rebuilt engine and new muffler/exhaust? The asking price is $2,000 more.

My head says the second is the better deal, but my heart says go with the one that i fell in love with the first time around.
Both cars are the same color (white) btw.

I'm really torn.
I have an old car and go to great lengths to keep everything stock. My fan didn't work on the high setting due to the high setting having a separate circuit off the battery with its own fuse. I shredded the fuse holder trying to get the old fuse out that had been in there for 40 years. I cut the holder off the wire and replaced it with a plastic fuse holder from Radio Shack. The heater fan works fine now, but a little piece of me died that day since my car is no longer 100% OEM.

I'd go with the stock, unless you plan on this as an every day driver. That's what I did with the 1968 AMX I bought, which was the car I always wanted as a kid. Never regretted it.

Originally posted by tarheelhusker:
I'd go stock, the one you loved, as the decision maker. Follow your heart (before your mind stops you) on your classic car. You'll most likely have to put $$ in it.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
that's what i'm thinking or should say, feeling too tar heel. i can't get over thinking if i go with the other one with the modifications etc., i will look back and regret not going with the one that i really had an emotional connection with.
besides, i'm never going to do this again, so i might has well get this decision correct the first time.

i'll update this board when i purchase one and put pics up. thanks again tar heel.

Let's hear it for the, "keep it stock" pollsters!

Excellent Gemini6. The Mecum & Barrett-Jackson guys folks would also applaud your choice!

ps...I f I recall correctly, Litespeedhusker was in the refinishing business. He can most likely answer questions on metal or the ragtop concerns.

This post was edited on 4/18 7:18 AM by tarheelhusker

Originally posted by tarheelhusker:
Let's hear it for the, "keep it stock" pollsters!

Excellent Gemini6. The Mecum & Barrett-Jackson guys folks would also applaud your choice!

ps...I f I recall correctly, Litespeedhusker was in the refinishing business. He can most likely answer questions on metal or the ragtop concerns.

This post was edited on 4/18 7:18 AM by tarheelhusker
that's interesting that you mention the Barrett Jackson folks, because that's where the guy in Miami is right now and think he's showing his car there too.

Would love to heard from LItespeedhusker. the Mustang in Kentucky (I'm flying to see next week) has a brand new rag top. the other one has the stock one, which will need to be replaced.

I've found a number of great sites for purchasing stock items for this car. I'm amazed there are so many options still available.
Definitely a ton of affinity for classic Mustangs.

It would be this one:
tumblr_mdwehrjyvE1rldp35o1_1280.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT