OT: Bruce Springsteen in Nebraska?

No conspiracy with me Julie. But here is one of his lyrics:

‘Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
Foreman says "These jobs are going, boys
And they ain't coming back
To your hometown."’

It seems hypocritical that a guy who sings a lot about working men and women, factories closing and unions, etc. so roundly hated a President who took actions to help working men and women, keep factories and bring them back, and had widespread rank and file union support. In my way of thinking, his philosophy is more about dogma than people's welfare and that just sucks.
I wish people actually took the time to deepen their knowledge about things they profess to know so much about. I don't mind you having an opinion, but good grief you are misinformed. If you look at the numbers, really look at them, Trump did extraordinarily little for blue collar workers. He blathered on about how much he was doing, and people who were predisposed to his particular brand of politicking declared him a hero, but the numbers do not match the rhetoric. Trump was a president for rich people, most presidents are. If a president actually pushed through policies that benefited the working class the right wingers on this board would be howling about communism all day long. Don't get me started on hypocrisy.

Reactions: GILL T
Heck, would even rather see Gordon Lightfoot over Springsteen.
[/QUOTE]

Trust me, no you would not. Saw Lightfoot a couple of years ago. He was nearly a corpse onstage. Seriously, he was TERRIBLE. :)

As far as music artists go I'm not much of a Springsteen fan. I appreciate many of the musicians mentioned here, but they are all so old. What about something slightly more contemporary?

As far as music artists go I'm not much of a Springsteen fan. I appreciate many of the musicians mentioned here, but they are all so old. What about something slightly more contemporary?
Newer usually isn't better

Newer usually isn't better
I don't know about that. There is just a ton of stuff out there that even the most avid music enthusiast will never hear on the radio or find on Spotify, or where ever you get your music. And as for attending a concert, I would much rather go to a smaller venue with 100-200 people to listen to a local or regional artist rock the house than a massive concert with 50,000 people to see a big name like Springsteen.

Reactions: 9and4
2 things odd about the dude from back in the day. 1. He would change his voice when talking to Clarence Clemons to sound more street.(seemed demeaning and racist). 2. He picked Patti S over Julianne Phillips
2. in a heartbeat as an odd choice...

Reactions: Bugeater
I like springsteen but if we are talking top 5 it's
zeppelin, floyd, skynard, stones and ac/dc....
with the eagles and rush as honorable mentions.

springsteen is like in the 70 - 90 place all time

I don't know about that. There is just a ton of stuff out there that even the most avid music enthusiast will never hear on the radio or find on Spotify, or where ever you get your music. And as for attending a concert, I would much rather go to a smaller venue with 100-200 people to listen to a local or regional artist rock the house than a massive concert with 50,000 people to see a big name like Springsteen.
Give me a Richard Thompson show over a Springsteen show in person. The cost and the crowd are not my bag, though I appreciate Springsteen's artistry, energy and passion.

Reactions: schuele
Prince says "Hello!" (or would if he were still alive). :) If there were an actual ranking, Prince would be #1-#5 - and then maybe you can start considering others...

Never got the fascination with Springsteen, or Dylan (and others of that genre), but that's just me.
Yes, this.

Reactions: Bugeater
I love his music...i HATE it when people threaten to leave the country if 'they don't get their way'...

Having said that...LOVED the Campbell/Blue Hill/Red Cloud area in my two years there...Excited he passed through...
What was your job?

That's your opinion. I loved the 80's. Thought the 70s was dinosaur rock. Miss the 80's/90's rock for sure.
Oh I like some of it too. I just can’t stand the ones that changed their whole sound to meet the trend and sell records. Dancing in the Dark, We built this city, jump. All crap.

I like Bruce the entertainer but not the political activist. Others I downright despise because of their contempt for my ilk. Dinero, Carrey, Colbert, Messing, and everyone on the View are just awful, awful people. While I don't respect anything they say, I do respect their right to say it.

Yikes. So much for making a joke around here. Too much sensitivity.
Well on a message board you usually need to indicate you're making a joke or being sarcastic so people understand that - usually with an emoji. People can't tell your intent in just straight sentences so they most often assume you're being serious.

I like Bruce the entertainer but not the political activist. Others I downright despise because of their contempt for my ilk. Dinero, Carrey, Colbert, Messing, and everyone on the View are just awful, awful people. While I don't respect anything they say, I do respect their right to say it.
I liked a couple tunes on madonna's first album, then she went off the deep end..
called for blowing up the white house to a huge crowd in washington and ccn, msnbc, and the networks covered it for 2.3 seconds

It's cool that you can differentiate between the artist and their activism. Do you have a problem with the political activism of the right?

I like The Boss, but I wish Jeep would have spent the money developing a suspension system instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT