ADVERTISEMENT

OT Branson Yager already off the team?

I wonder if he is going to do an LDS mission? Our coaching staff had to assure him that if he took a 2-year mission after high school, there would still be a scholarship waiting for him.

He's from a small Mormon town in Utah, so he might have had a hard time adjusting to an environment where nobody else shares his faith.

I wonder if he is going to do an LDS mission? Our coaching staff had to assure him that if he took a 2-year mission after high school, there would still be a scholarship waiting for him.

He's from a small Mormon town in Utah, so he might have had a hard time adjusting to an environment where nobody else shares his faith.
I don't think that is true. I think we have at least one Mormon coach on our staff. In addition there are a pretty large number of Mormons in Lincoln. The mission idea is possible.

Did he even ever make it to campus? He graduated early but apparently wasn't on the spring roster. He had expressed some past anxiety, related or not I have no clue.

I don't think that is true. I think we have at least one Mormon coach on our staff. In addition there are a pretty large number of Mormons in Lincoln. The mission idea is possible.
I am pretty sure he wasn't meaning literally zero, none, nobody. Sometimes in the English language we use hyperbole to get our point across. In another thread, I wrote there were a million threads on realignment. Clearly there are not a million threads. When someone says nobody shares his faith, I am pretty sure that is hyperbole.

Statistics show that there are approx 25,000 LDS members in the state of Nebraska. That would put Nebraska at about 40th out of 50 in LDS population. The Lincoln archdiocese alone has nearly 100,000 Catholics, roughly 1 in 6 people in the area that makes up the archdiocese, as opposed to 1 out of each 75 in the state that are LDS. I would call this "nobody"

I am pretty sure he wasn't meaning literally zero, none, nobody. Sometimes in the English language we use hyperbole to get our point across. In another thread, I wrote there were a million threads on realignment. Clearly there are not a million threads. When someone says nobody shares his faith, I am pretty sure that is hyperbole.

Statistics show that there are approx 25,000 LDS members in the state of Nebraska. That would put Nebraska at about 40th out of 50 in LDS population. The Lincoln archdiocese alone has nearly 100,000 Catholics, roughly 1 in 6 people in the area that makes up the archdiocese, as opposed to 1 out of each 75 in the state that are LDS. I would call this "nobody"
I understand that but I do believe we have an assistant who his Mormon and there is in fact a fairly large Mormon community in Lincoln. No doubt we don't have dozens of LDS players. What might be more problematic would be if he started trying to convert teammates to his faith. I've seen that happen in an organization with a Mormon employee and it didn't go well.

There may be a million realignment threads.

But there are virtually zero Mormons his age in Lincoln, or at UNL. And they almost never date/marry outside their religion, which could make it a very difficult social environment for him here.

I'm sure it would also be very hard for a devout Catholic from small-town Nebraska, to fit in at BYU.

But there are virtually zero Mormons his age in Lincoln, or at UNL. And they almost never date/marry outside their religion, which could make it a very difficult social environment for him here.

I'm sure it would also be very hard for a devout Catholic from small-town Nebraska, to fit in at BYU.
That just isn't true. There are 4 LDS churches in Lincoln and one of them is very near campus. I'm not saying there are huge numbers of LDS families but it's more than some of you think. I've got news for you all. They don't all stay on the rez. There are over 25,00O LDS members in the state of Nebraska and many of them are in Lincoln.

I married into a devout catholic family…shoulda went to BYU

That happy little naked family you see on the huge bldg across the street from the Capital when you exit is obviously the reason he left. Duh.

I'd think he'd be happy to get out of Grantsville! Have lived in Utah since retiring from the Air Force in 2005. No, I'm not a Mormon but can relate to the fact many feel the need to bring you in to the fold. There are two types of Mormons, Utah Mormons and out of state Mormons. Utah Mormons tend to feel superior to Mormons living out of state. Out of state Mormons seem friendlier, down to earth and open to us heathens.
One thing I noticed is they like to rat on each other when when is seen not to be fully following the doctrine or speaking negative against the church. The church does keep them busy with functions and requirements to the point if you don't attend they'll come calling. They were very into Boy Scouts and used it as a stepping stone in there church and all meetings were held in the church. Not sure what they do now.
Just my observation after many years of living amongst them.

By your math then there are 3912 (293,446 / 75) LDS members in Lincoln.

They are found in 3 large and 1 smaller spanish speaking congregations.

If your guy wants to go to church, he can.

Go Blue!

That just isn't true. There are 4 LDS churches in Lincoln and one of them is very near campus. I'm not saying there are huge numbers of LDS families but it's more than some of you think. I've got news for you all. They don't all stay on the rez. There are over 25,00O LDS members in the state of Nebraska and many of them are in Lincoln.
Dingle, don't you love how people say shit like it's true? There are tons of Mormons in Lincoln. My best buddy in law school was a DEVOUT mormon from St. George, UT. I asked him, "Why did you come to Nebraska for law school?" His answer, "Because there is a very large Mormon population in Lincoln." He said when he didn't get into BYU his family and church steered him to Lincoln.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Dingle, don't you love how people say shit like it's true? There are tons of Mormons in Lincoln. My best buddy in law school was a DEVOUT mormon from St. George, UT. I asked him, "Why did you come to Nebraska for law school?" His answer, "Because there is a very large Mormon population in Lincoln." He said when he didn't get into BYU his family and church steered him to Lincoln.
I provided numbers from the LDS website on the number of LDS members in the state. Nebraska ranked 40th out of 50. Perhaps they directed him there to help spearhead a growth movement.

I provided numbers from the LDS website on the number of LDS members in the state. Nebraska ranked 40th out of 50. Perhaps they directed him there to help spearhead a growth movement.
Nebraska ranks 39th out of 50 in population so looks about right.

Go Blue!

I'm sure you're right when compared to other states. Because... Nebraska is 38th in population so whatever slice you look at, we're not going to have big number compared to more populous states. There's not many people here. But Lincoln has a strong support system for Mormon kids coming here for school.

I'm sure you're right when compared to other states. Because... Nebraska is 38th in population so whatever slice you look at, we're not going to have big number compared to more populous states. There's not many people here. But Lincoln has a strong support system for Mormon kids coming here for school.

the LDS population is as much or probably more, based on proximity to Utah as it is total population of the state.
New Mexico 2.5x the LDS pop as Nebraska
Wyoming 2.5x
Montana 2x
Idaho 20x

All but New Mexico have smaller populations than Nebraska and New Mexico is nearly the same.

I now know more about the LDS population than I ever wanted to know.

I'd think he'd be happy to get out of Grantsville! Have lived in Utah since retiring from the Air Force in 2005. No, I'm not a Mormon but can relate to the fact many feel the need to bring you in to the fold. There are two types of Mormons, Utah Mormons and out of state Mormons. Utah Mormons tend to feel superior to Mormons living out of state. Out of state Mormons seem friendlier, down to earth and open to us heathens.
One thing I noticed is they like to rat on each other when when is seen not to be fully following the doctrine or speaking negative against the church. The church does keep them busy with functions and requirements to the point if you don't attend they'll come calling. They were very into Boy Scouts and used it as a stepping stone in there church and all meetings were held in the church. Not sure what they do now.
The part about boy scouts was disturbing. All the ones I've met are super nice and big time into money. Creating wealth and keeping it.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
My law school buddy was devout but man he liked Mountain Dew! He'd be sneaking them like a cocaine junky checking to see if anyone was looking when he took a hit. Was afraid of another student ratting him out.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
The part about boy scouts was disturbing. All the ones I've met are super nice and big time into money. Creating wealth and keeping it.
Don't get me wrong, have a lot of Mormon friends living here, but many also avoid non members of the church. Dating was hard for my two daughter growing up simply because they were not of the faith.

What changed since he decided to come to Nebraska? The stats are the same as when he signed LOI

Don't get me wrong, have a lot of Mormon friends living here, but many also avoid non members of the church. Dating was hard for my two daughter growing up simply because they were not of the faith.
Locks on that magic underwear of theirs?

ADVERTISEMENT