ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Brady wins Deflategate case

G0B1GRED

Walk On
Dec 3, 2014
Omaha,NE
Field YatesVerified account‏@FieldYates 1m1 minute ago

There it is: Judge Berman has overturned Tom Brady's 4-game suspension.

Tom-Brady-needs-a-high-five.gif

Good deal. Brady may have not been lily white in the deal, but the way Goodell handled this was despicable. I'm not a Pats fan, but Goodell needs to have his wings clipped for the good of the entire league. No doubt this will likely continue in courts but IF the NFL was smart they would just let this drop now and get on with the season. The owners can get together and find a way forward and set better policy in dealing with this kind of stuff moving forward. IMO, even though the NFL isn't a court of law, they had better damned well approach evidenciary things on matters like this as if it were going forward. Make no mistake, the uncertainty made the Pats pay a heavy toll in their season prep at QB.

It was definitely a heavy suspension on Brady but he knew what was going on and it was illegal. For that, he should have served at least 1-2 games with a heavy fine or suspensions within the organization. So when will the next cheating scandal be for the Patriots organization after this slap on the wrist? o_O

It was definitely a heavy suspension on Brady but he knew what was going on and it was illegal. For that, he should have served at least 1-2 games with a heavy fine or suspensions within the organization. So when will the next cheating scandal be for the Patriots organization after this slap on the wrist? o_O
You assume he had full knowledge of what was going on. That is exactly what I meant when I posted that the NFL needs to follow at least some semblance of rules of evidence in order to avoid situations like this. If they can't prove it, they need to shut the hell up. There is no doubt that the NFL leaked false information to try to bolster their case and it became personal. This was handled horribly by Goodell and HE is one that should pay a price his crappy job performance. IMO ,the NFL needs leadership change.

And if you think this is the final word, just wait for the appeal... Brady may end up wishing he'd lost this case if the appeal comes down and he ends up suspended during the final games of the season.

Reactions: otismotis08
Why did they fire those ballboys? Anyone willing to wager those guys suddenly have different lifestyles as long as they keep up the silent treatment?

I don't understand why the two fired employees from the Patriots organization weren't called to testify. Put them on the stand, ask a few simple questions.

My guess is, Brady would have been squirming, and been a lot more willing to quietly go away and take his lumps.

Let's pretend that there's evidence that he knew and was actively involved. EVEN THEN, there was nothing that indicated a 4 game suspension was the penalty for this. On the books, tampering with equipment was a $25,000 fine. If the NFL wants to change that rule, they are welcome to, but they aren't allowed to change it because they caught someone doing it.

This was a personal vendetta that Goodell had because he felt Brady wasn't cooperating and he wanted to punish him for that. Reality - Brady didn't cooperate, but you can't go above and beyond simply because someone doesn't cooperate. Without the smoking gun, all he really had was an intelligent opinion that Brady was involved (which was probably right) but no evidence to back it - AND the fact that 4 games was not in any rule book for such an activity.

I don't understand why the two fired employees from the Patriots organization weren't called to testify. Put them on the stand, ask a few simple questions.

My guess is, Brady would have been squirming, and been a lot more willing to quietly go away and take his lumps.

Exactly, if Tomy Brady is innocent he should be begging for those ball boys to testify under oath. They are the only ones who know if those balls were deflated and who told them to do it.

Say what you want. In a matter involving this much money you had better have HARD evidence. The NFL doesn't have it PLUS they spread FALSE information to bolster their case. Judges deal in EVIDENCE and take a VERY dim view of liars. IF they were to come up with some hard EVIDENCE that Brady was directly involved in seeing that the balls were deflated, it might become a different matter but until that happens Goodell needs to go.

And if you think this is the final word, just wait for the appeal... Brady may end up wishing he'd lost this case if the appeal comes down and he ends up suspended during the final games of the season.
The NFL will never appeal this. The regular season is here, they don't need the ability to stay in the new cycle, and they won't win.

You will never convince a neutral party that Roger Goodell can be fair and impartial and the Wells Report is a joke. The NFL got what they wanted staying relevant in the off season, now its time to move on.

Completely foreseeable outcome here. The league totally overplayed its hand, Brady called them on it and then whipped their fanny in court. Goodell should have got off this train months ago but his ego wouldn't let him.

Field YatesVerified account‏@FieldYates 1m1 minute ago

There it is: Judge Berman has overturned Tom Brady's 4-game suspension.

Tom-Brady-needs-a-high-five.gif
Has

Has nobody ever put air in a tire and then it got cold ? Cold makes pressure go down. The balls were inflated before pre game practice and checked at halftime. Oh, and it was da** cold at that game. Colts had some balls underinflatd also that you never hear mentioned. Cold affects the pressure the same for both teams.

Has nobody ever put air in a tire and then it got cold ? Cold makes pressure go down. The balls were inflated before pre game practice and checked at halftime. Oh, and it was da** cold at that game. Colts had some balls underinflatd also that you never hear mentioned. Cold affects the pressure the same for both teams.
Your Colts claim is false. And I hate the Colts.

The NFL will never appeal this. The regular season is here, they don't need the ability to stay in the new cycle, and they won't win.

You will never convince a neutral party that Roger Goodell can be fair and impartial and the Wells Report is a joke. The NFL got what they wanted staying relevant in the off season, now its time to move on.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/03/tom-brady-deflategate-suspension-nfl-roger-goodell-statement-appeal

“We are grateful to Judge Berman for hearing this matter, but respectfully disagree with today's decision. We will appeal today's ruling in order to uphold the collectively bargained responsibility to protect the integrity of the game. The commissioner's responsibility to secure the competitive fairness of our game is a paramount principle, and the league and our 32 clubs will continue to purse a path to that end. While the legal phase of this process continues, we look forward to focusing on football and the opening of the regular season.“

Reactions: otismotis08
Goodell is a joke; I have stopped watching the NFL a few years ago. Brady is probably guilty, as his actions were fairly consistent with a guilty party; if this wasn't a star QB, this may have ended differently. However, it's comedy to see Goodell get owned in all of this. Unfortunately, the NFL has become nothing more than a glorified Arena football league (Look for QB's to play until age 45). College is slowly getting to that point; people want to see offense (is it really surprising to see both the single-game rushing and passing records broken in the same season?). Those of us who have played football in the late 90's and early 2000's appreciate defense, tackling, and a solid power-run game. I played varsity football in high school, and some of the hits we encountered would be 15-yard penalties in the NFL; what a joke. The Pats know what they can get away with; they also understand that they have a big market behind them; I'm not entirely sure that the Browns, Bengals, or Bills would receive the same treatment. The same goes for college football; the big market schools are given a much longer leash, and refusing to cooperate is the best way to avoid punishment. The NFL (Goodell) and the NCAA are far less powerful when you refuse to cooperate. Brady did the only thing he could do without getting completely screwed over.

Reactions: Zerk
Goodell is a joke; I have stopped watching the NFL a few years ago. Brady is probably guilty, as his actions were fairly consistent with a guilty party; if this wasn't a star QB, this may have ended differently. However, it's comedy to see Goodell get owned in all of this. Unfortunately, the NFL has become nothing more than a glorified Arena football league (Look for QB's to play until age 45). College is slowly getting to that point; people want to see offense (is it really surprising to see both the single-game rushing and passing records broken in the same season?). Those of us who have played football in the late 90's and early 2000's appreciate defense, tackling, and a solid power-run game. I played varsity football in high school, and some of the hits we encountered would be 15-yard penalties in the NFL; what a joke. The Pats know what they can get away with; they also understand that they have a big market behind them; I'm not entirely sure that the Browns, Bengals, or Bills would receive the same treatment. The same goes for college football; the big market schools are given a much longer leash, and refusing to cooperate is the best way to avoid punishment. The NFL (Goodell) and the NCAA are far less powerful when you refuse to cooperate. Brady did the only thing he could do without getting completely screwed over.

Heard judge Berman drafted Brady in fantasy earlier yesterday

I assume you had to take your Patriots gloves and Patriots keyboard cover off to type this.

Reactions: timnsun

HeadsetGate..... whats next for the Patriots? LaughingLaughing

Your Colts claim is false. And I hate the Colts.

Actually 3/4 colts balls checked were under the minimum, by a few tenth of a psi less than patriots balls. The caveat being they had sat inside in warm air longer. And only four balls were checked because in 15 minutes it was too hard for nfl officials to measure are the balls before halftime ended, but yet these patriot staffers were supposed to have deflated 15 balls to the same general psi limit in a one minute trip to the bathroom.

It all adds up to the nfl feels it owes the patriots more punishment for spygate and this was their shot. It's telling that the recent stories about other forms of patriot cheating have come to light after the ruling. Almost like the nfl went full smear mode after they lost.

Whatever envious teams and their fans can come up with.

Why is it that a large percentage of Patriot "fans" call fans of other teams "jealous", or "envious"; are we in high school? My team isn't the Patriots; however, I am definitely not "jealous". My team is garbage (I don't watch NFL, but I look at scores to see who won). Why would I be jealous or envious of a fanbase that is mostly filled with t-shirt fans? Why would I be "jealous" of people who merely have a rooting interest in another team? I'm sure most Nebraska fans could give two fricks about Ohio State or Alabama; most true fans are concerned about their team (note the word "true"), unless it deals with a hated rival.

The point was not that fans would be envious or jealous of Patriots fans. They'd be jealous and envious of Brady, Belichick, and the Pats organization.

You can't deny that success engenders hatred and envy. Think of any dominant sports team (90s Cowboys) or icon (Lebron James) and you'll find millions of people that just love to hate them and tear them down. Why?

My point is not that they are completely innocent and undeserving of the scrutiny or vitriol, but it's a basic fact about ourselves, call it human nature if you want, but I think that's simplifying it, that we don't like to recognize others as simply better than ourselves. So we tear them down in any way we can.

Despite Brady being a model athlete, deserving of the utmost respect and admiration, one of the best to play the game and a model person off the field, fans gleefully accused him of being a cheater and undeserving of all his accolades at the mere accusation the balls were deflated. I'm speaking of the witch hunt that was his press conference the week after.

The NFL's 'independent' investigation has since shown it was more probable than not he was at least generally aware of what was going on. (Quite sure I got all the necessary qualifications in). I think that's right as far as it goes, but I never for once thought it damned his character or said anything about his status as one of the best to ever play.

Meanwhile, while Brady proves himself to be the best QB in football, fans and the media tried to make a scandal out of another non-issue regarding communications systems the Pats weren't even in charge of.

Why? Don't sit here and tell me they really just are sticklers for the rules...

Reactions: huskersoxfan
Why is it that a large percentage of Patriot "fans" call fans of other teams "jealous", or "envious"; are we in high school? My team isn't the Patriots; however, I am definitely not "jealous". My team is garbage (I don't watch NFL, but I look at scores to see who won). Why would I be jealous or envious of a fanbase that is mostly filled with t-shirt fans? Why would I be "jealous" of people who merely have a rooting interest in another team? I'm sure most Nebraska fans could give two fricks about Ohio State or Alabama; most true fans are concerned about their team (note the word "true"), unless it deals with a hated rival.
Ironically, I don't have any T-shirts, but I'm a transplant from the East Coast that has been a Pat's fan since they got their ass's kicked in by the Bears in the 85 Super Bowl. Since the Pat's have won a few championships in this century (and have been accused of cheating for each championship), you might could see the reason why we're a bit touchy about fan's view our side. I'm also a big Husker fan (Thanks Mom) and a lot of people didn't like the Husker's in the late 90's because of their success. I reference your point about Alabama above.

ADVERTISEMENT