ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Bourbon drinkers?

All good stuff. The Blanton's is kinda overpriced at the site I buy it at. Eagle Rare has been the best bang for the buck. Just bought a bottle of Bulleit for 30 bucks. Pretty solid bourbon for the price.
I like that also. When you live in a dry county and the closest store is 40 miles and expensive, I learn to drink a lot of things.

While I do enjoy Blantons- it would be much better at $50 and available. In other words, not worth the hype. I'll always buy one at retail, but there is much better stuff on the shelf. OF 1910 and 1920 both extremely good and under $50. Rare Breed is fantastic for around $50- both bourbon and rye. Don't sleep on the Penelope picks either- very solid pours in the same range. Although I enjoy EC Barrel Proof, I still miss their 12 year old that was about $35!

Reactions: Greg Smith
Doing a bourbon taste this weekend....so I will report back with our completely unscientific results :)
The lineup is...
Booker's.....Blanton's.....Eagle Rare....Weller 12 and Knob Creek 15. If you get the chance try Widow Jane 10...very good and you can generally find it.

FWIW I have the Widow Jane 10 and it's the worst bottle I have ever bought. Should be a $20 bottle of bourbon. Would love to know why you like it so much.

As for your shootout I got my money on KC15 if it's a blind testing.

You can go to a club like our local Country Club and drink but no bars or Liquor stores.

33 of like 75 counties in Arkansas are dry. I live in 1 and surrounded by 3 others. I go to Bastrop, LA to get my drinks.

Was in Story Arkansas mtn biking with my son two falls ago...I admit I had no idea there was such a thing as dry counties...oh we made the drive to the county line...bet your ass we did....and we passed 50 Confederate flags flyin high and proud along the way. Weird area...Babtist church on every corner to.

Was in Story Arkansas mtn biking with my son two falls ago...I admit I had no idea there was such a thing as dry counties...oh we made the drive to the county line...bet your ass we did....and we passed 50 Confederate flags flyin high and proud along the way. Weird area...Babtist church on every corner to.
That's about 2 hours north of me. Same down here in a lot of areas. Not a ton of confederate flags but every little area has a babtist church and each church has a cemetery. Family cemeteries often. Believe it or not there are still segregated cemeteries in many places. 2 funeral homes.

FWIW I have the Widow Jane 10 and it's the worst bottle I have ever bought. Should be a $20 bottle of bourbon. Would love to know why you like it so much.

Bourbon tastes in some way seems to be similar to wine tastes. There’s lots of variability in what people like. A buddy served me Eagle Rare 10 year last night and I thought it was just okay.

1792 is okay.

Let's be clear what we are talking about when we mention 1792: are we talking about 1792 small batch and other bourbons in that $20-40 price range or 1792 Full Proof? Because there is a big difference between the two. 1792 Full Proof is 125 proof and blows a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread out of the water.

The Kirkland Single Barrel is 1792 product clocking in at 120 proof which is pretty darn close to the 1792 Full Proof. Without further digging, I would assume Kirkland is basically the same as 1792 Full Proof at a massive discount. Regardless of what it is, it is much more flavorful and fragrant than the Blanton's and Buffalo Trace that are sitting on my shelf. When I pop this Kirkland bottle open the first thing that I smell coming out of the bottle is toasted marshmellows. I'm not sure you can find this year's version at Costco anymore but I highly recommend it.

Doing a bourbon taste this weekend....so I will report back with our completely unscientific results :)
The lineup is...
Booker's.....Blanton's.....Eagle Rare....Weller 12 and Knob Creek 15. If you get the chance try Widow Jane 10...very good and you can generally find it.
Which Bookers? Interested to hear the results!

Let's be clear what we are talking about when we mention 1792: are we talking about 1792 small batch and other bourbons in that $20-40 price range or 1792 Full Proof? Because there is a big difference between the two. 1792 Full Proof is 125 proof and blows a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread out of the water.

The Kirkland Single Barrel is 1792 product clocking in at 120 proof which is pretty darn close to the 1792 Full Proof. Without further digging, I would assume Kirkland is basically the same as 1792 Full Proof at a massive discount. Regardless of what it is, it is much more flavorful and fragrant than the Blanton's and Buffalo Trace that are sitting on my shelf. When I pop this Kirkland bottle open the first thing that I smell coming out of the bottle is toasted marshmellows. I'm not sure you can find this year's version at Costco anymore but I highly recommend it.
The 1792 I had was in a decanter so I don’t know which one it was. I think my friend had a bourbon taste test deal for some of his older buddies so he had 7 or 8 decanters of bourbon with no labels on them. He told me the one I was drinking was 1792 but didn’t specify which one.

My understanding is that it is a blend of Whiskey from 5 different sources so there could be some variation from batch to batch....I must gave gotten lucky and got a good batch : )Also, I'm a port drinker so I also enjoy Angel's Envy. Bourbon drinking is subjective and much like Nebraska's slogan ....it's not for everybody:)

My understanding is that it is a blend of Whiskey from 5 different sources so there could be some variation from batch to batch....I must gave gotten lucky and got a good batch : )Also, I'm a port drinker so I also enjoy Angel's Envy. Bourbon drinking is subjective and much like Nebraska's slogan ....it's not for everybody:)

It's not a single barrel which is where you would get more variation from bottle to bottle. I'm just curious what it is you like about it.

It's not a single barrel which is where you would get more variation from bottle to bottle. I'm just curious what it is you like about it.
The taste......I'm admittedly no bourbon expert. I just know what I like...and I really like the taste of Widow Jane.

The lineup is...
The results of this blind test test have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's
porch :)......and the results are....

The Booker's ( Pinkie's batch ) narrowly beat the Knob Creek 15 for first place. Weller 12 narrowly beat Eagle Rare for third place and the Blanton's came in last which surprised us all.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
The results of this blind test test have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's

The Booker's ( Pinkie's batch ) narrowly beat the Knob Creek 15 for first place. Weller 12 narrowly beat Eagle Rare for third place and the Blanton's came in last which surprised us all.
Your taste testers were pot smokers…..

John Wick is comin’ for ya..
7abzoo.jpg

• Love
Reactions: HBK4life
Not a bourbon guy personally, I prefer wine/beer...but I am curious about those of you who are into it...do you guys look for something new a lot? .....my wife and I always look for a bottle of wine we've never had, same for beer....curious if bourbon drinkers do the same? With wine it's eazy because we like most reds and there are a million different wineries...not sure if that's the case with bourbon?

Not a bourbon guy personally, I prefer wine/beer...but I am curious about those of you who are into it...do you guys look for something new a lot? .....my wife and I always look for a bottle of wine we've never had, same for beer....curious if bourbon drinkers do the same? With wine it's eazy because we like most reds and there are a million different wineries...not sure if that's the case with bourbon?

I buy new stuff all the time. My bar houses 10 to 15 bottles and I have my go to brands, but I like to get new stuff and see what's out there.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I get mine from HyVee who I’m pretty sure gets theirs direct from Buffalo Trace.

Dingle I have 5 bottles of Blanton's I can part with for $1k. I'll throw in 2 bottles of Eagle Rare. All purchased at grocery stores and legit.

Rarely. Sometimes I'll stumble upon a barrel proof offering I haven't seen before and give it a shot. The established players in the bourbon space are the ones that know what they're doing and have the best product. Most of the new stuff I see is majorly overpriced and usually terrible. If you go to Total Wine that place is a huge trap for inexperienced consumers.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Went to the liquor store today to buy another bottle of JD bonded. Usually $38. I know...most people snub their nose at any JD products, but I rather like it. This place had it at $48. On a nearby shelf, I saw Maker's Mark Cask Strength around 112 proof. Just $38...seems like a steal. Snagged it.

Went to the liquor store today to buy another bottle of JD bonded. Usually $38. I know...most people snub their nose at any JD products, but I rather like it. This place had it at $48. On a nearby shelf, I saw Maker's Mark Cask Strength around 112 proof. Just $38...seems like a steal. Snagged it.
Get what you like. I know I ragged on your Old Grandad, but I would not hesitate to purchase what I like. I'm not much into snobbery.

Reactions: otismotis08
ADVERTISEMENT