ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bomb Cyclone

Just home from the office in downtown Denver, which closed early due to the storm. Pretty bad in the city but the people on the eastern plains of Colorado will get the worst of it. The good news is it will be in the 50s by the end of the week and the snow will be gone.

We usually get one big March snowstorm, so that’s no surprise. But the high wind here in the city is an added twist we don’t see very often - thankfully.

Reactions: 9and4
Just home from the office in downtown Denver, which closed early due to the storm. Pretty bad in the city but the people on the eastern plains of Colorado will get the worst of it. The good news is it will be in the 50s by the end of the week and the snow will be gone.

We usually get one big March snowstorm, so that’s no surprise. But the high wind here in the city is an added twist we don’t see very often - thankfully.

One of the great things about Denver - any snow is usually gone within a week.

One of the great things about Denver - any snow is usually gone within a week.
I was living in Fort Collins during the 2003 March blizzard. We got 38 inches, and roofs were caving in around Fort Collins. It was the same weekend as the U.S. invasion of Iraq and CSU's appearance in the NCAA Tournament against Duke (Dale Layer's shining moment of his tenure at CSU). That snow did not melt quickly.

I was living in Fort Collins during the 2003 March blizzard. We got 38 inches, and roofs were caving in around Fort Collins. It was the same weekend as the U.S. invasion of Iraq and CSU's appearance in the NCAA Tournament against Duke (Dale Layer's shining moment of his tenure at CSU). That snow did not melt quickly.
We got 45 inches of snow from that storm, but the weather got nice pretty quickly. Worst storm I've been through in Colorado was December 2006 - not as much total snow but combined with really cold temperatures. And at one point it was snowing about 5 inches per hour.

Welp, not too bad in my opinion, but my dog would run out about 10 feet and come back in. She snuck away at one point and left a nice present for us at the base of the stairs.

Driving through Yankton South Dakota today HWY 81 was closed in town due to water over the road. It was 48F and raining with very rapid snow melt. Water was flooding the mall. Multiple side streets closed with deep water running over them. Cars stranded with water up to their windows. Had to go several miles west and take some washed out roads to get around the mess and back to 81. I've heard there's multiple roads closed in NE Nebraska due to flooding. They evacuated Pierce and Randolph NE today.

Today outside Boulder we only got about 5 inches of snow but paired with 60 mph winds things get wild. Much more snow to the east and south of me. 165,000+ people without power and lots of schools are without power. They never cancel school around here but it seemed like every district cancelled the day before this storm. Was a good call.

Was almost 70 here yesterday too. Will be in 50s by weekend and 60 next week.

We got 45 inches of snow from that storm, but the weather got nice pretty quickly. Worst storm I've been through in Colorado was December 2006 - not as much total snow but combined with really cold temperatures. And at one point it was snowing about 5 inches per hour.
That one did not go away quickly in Fort Collins. It seemed like we were driving in ruts for a month.

That one did not go away quickly in Fort Collins. It seemed like we were driving in ruts for a month.
We're kind of fortunate when it comes to snow removal. The 'burb that we live in likes to brag that it dedicates a higher percentage of its budget to snow removal than any municipality in the Denver metro area - and actually, it shows. When I cross the city boundaries the streets are never as clear.

We're kind of fortunate when it comes to snow removal. The 'burb that we live in likes to brag that it dedicates a higher percentage of its budget to snow removal than any municipality in the Denver metro area - and actually, it shows. When I cross the city boundaries the streets are never as clear.
We lived in Washington Park in Denver in the '90s, and the streets were usually cleared in a timely manner. We spent the '00s in Fort Collins, which did not do as good a good. Boulder in the '10s was the best at it, of the three cities we lived in in Colorado.

I miss Colorado, and not just because I now live in hell, but because of the beautiful weather and the fact I never needed a snowblower while living there, despite the heavy snows.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Well, apparently we up here in the upper mid part of the state are experiencing "historic" and even "biblical" flooding. Man, good thing we live on top of a hill. Unless we go sliding down it.

Was in the mountains for that storm...at a Christian camp...the previous days were 80 and sunny...I worked on the kitchen to be able to go to the camp because it was quite costly...they threw away so much food and then BAM! 70 inches of snow, we were snowed in for 4 days, 50 kids with no food, we probably tossed 25 big trash cans full of it at the start of the week. Some brave souls had to drive through avalanche warnings to get some cheese and sauce from a nearby domino's...probably won't walk through 6 foot tall snow tunnels again.

Reactions: 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT