ADVERTISEMENT

OT: best online shopping for livestock supplies

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
As some of you know I run a small sheep and goat operation. I go to various local stores like Tractor Supply for some of the things I need. But often their selection is lacking. So I sometimes use Jeffers or Premier Supplies online shopping for supplies. But lately, the quality of many of their products just suck.
So my plea is to anyone on here who is a farmer/rancher... if you shop online for supplies who do you use?
Thanks

Last edited:
I haven't done any online shopping for farm/ranch supplies. I shop local at TSC, Oschelns, and local feed supply place.

What type of supplies are you talking about - vaccinations, shot supplies, nipple pails, and food?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If you are buying a range of products, why limit yourself to one supplier? Use Amazon and let them find suppliers for you.

I haven't done any online shopping for farm supplies. I shop local at TSC, Oschelns, and local feed supply place.

What type of supplies are you talking about - vaccinations, shot supplies, nipple pails, and food?
Halters, harnesses, scales for weighing lambs and kids, shearing equipment, water tank heaters, milking stations, milking machines, stanchions for immobilizing sheep or goats for vaccinations, hay mangers and grain feeding troughs, etc...Tractor Supply carries very little of this sort of thing.

As some of you know I run a small sheep and goat operation. I go to various local stores like Tractor Supply for some of the things I need. But often their selection is lacking. So I sometimes use Jeffers or Premier Supplies online shopping for supplies. But lately, the quality of many of their products just suck.
So my plea is to anyone on here who is a farmer/rancher... if you shop online for supplies who do you use?
Thanks
Valley vet @ Marysville KS. However I have found others better in the sheep area. There's stockman's too. Good luck.

Thanks

Sullivan's supply. They have a store in Dunlap but they have a nice online store.

Valley vet @ Marysville KS. However I have found others better in the sheep area. There's stockman's too. Good luck.
A friend of mine here recommended Stockman's. So that is two endorsements for them. My problem is that the suppliers I have been using used to be good, but now I get their stuff shipped here and it lasts a week and breaks. Real crap. So I am looking for quality. So thanks for the suggestion.

Good idea but I am asking who are the reliable suppliers where the stuff you buy is of a high quality?
Murdoch's has a cult following in the Rocky Mountain region, and they have a pretty good online selection:

Murdoch's

But I can't really vouch for their quality. The stuff I have bought there has been fine, but it's seen very light duty compared to actual farming and ranching. Others here might have more experience with them. They do have a dedicated sheep and goat section, so that might be worth something.

Murdoch's has a cult following in the Rocky Mountain region, and they have a pretty good online selection:

Murdoch's

But I can't really vouch for their quality. The stuff I have bought there has been fine, but it's seen very light duty compared to actual farming and ranching. Others here might have more experience with them.
I have used them before. They are hit or miss. Depends on what you get from them. But thanks for the suggestion. I have not looked at them in a while so maybe I will look again. Winter is when I stock up on supplies for the Spring lambing season, which is why I am currently scouring the online places for stuff I need. So all suggestions are welcome

We raise club calves and also some simm angus cattle. Used to have sheep and goats. My daughter wants to get back into showing goats this year, but we will see.

so all on here who have offered suggestions... do you have livestock? If so what? Just curious....

Just got my first calf this September. My dad and a brother have a few head (less than 15) as we are just starting to learn and get into the cattle business to see if it is something we reeeeeally want to get into.

We just started getting fencing supplies and cattle products in the last 3 years and have been getting it all locally.

My family has been wheat farming since the 70's and got into corn around 2000 and raise wheat, corn, soy beans, millet, and milo/sorghum. With about 4000 acres of farmland, some of the land has pasture on it that we are talking about fencing if we get more cows.

I wish there was an easy way to learn about cattle as we are finding out how much more actually goes into it than we thought.

You can't drop the words "nipple pails" and just walk away. Esplain please.
Different than Pale Nipples... lol and not a bucket full of nipples either... :)

0615460.jpg

Reactions: dinglefritz
Just got my first calf this September. My dad and a brother have a few head (less than 15) as we are just starting to learn and get into the cattle business to see if it is something we reeeeeally want to get into.

We just started getting fencing supplies and cattle products in the last 3 years and have been getting it all locally.

My family has been wheat farming since the 70's and got into corn around 2000 and raise wheat, corn, soy beans, millet, and milo/sorghum. With about 4000 acres of farmland, some of the land has pasture on it that we are talking about fencing if we get more cows.

I wish there was an easy way to learn about cattle as we are finding out how much more actually goes into it than we thought.

Different than Pale Nipples... lol and not a bucket full of nipples either... :)

0615460.jpg
Too funny. I have lots of nipple pails for when I have to bottle feed lambs whose mothers won't nurse them.
Good luck with your calves! My next move will be to get some dairy cows.

Too funny. I have lots of nipple pails for when I have to bottle feed lambs whose mothers won't nurse them.
Good luck with your calves! My next move will be to get some dairy cows.

Dairy calves are so cheap! Have seen them in the last 3 years for $5 a head up to $55 a head.

Someone gave us 3 of them when we first got started and we like them, but other farmers say they are a waste of time for raising due to the amount of time it takes for them to gain weight, thus making them less profitable.

Local dairies will basically give their calves away every year.

You getting in it for the milk side I assume?

Dairy calves are so cheap! Have seen them in the last 3 years for $5 a head up to $55 a head.

Someone gave us 3 of them when we first got started and we like them, but other farmers say they are a waste of time for raising due to the amount of time it takes for them to gain weight, thus making them less profitable.

Local dairies will basically give their calves away every year.

You getting in it for the milk side I assume?
That is great to hear. I did not know this. I just want one dairy cow for milk for myself. Not to sell. I love raw milk, goat, sheep, and cow's milk. I have the first two, now I want the trifecta. I can't sell my dairy anyway. In PA, you will bring down the ag department nazi gestapo if you dare sell dairy without first investing in about a million dollars worth of equipment

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Yep, a ton of regulations in that area!

Since we raised ours from about 3 days old and bottle fed them daily, let the kids around them every day to feed them, basically treated them like a family pet, they are so friendly.

Yep, a ton of regulations in that area!

Since we raised ours from about 3 days old and bottle fed them daily, let the kids around them every day to feed them, basically treated them like a family pet, they are so friendly.
You have inspired me. I am going to start contacting local Dairy operations to see if they are selling calves soon

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT