ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Best Mesh WiFi System

JaySker402

Blackshirt
Jan 14, 2017
Omaha
So, looking to upgrade my home wifi system. With more working from home, Im looking for a bit better setup as my router is a few years old.

I have a Nighthawk R8300 (its been good, but is 2-3 years old now) and an Arris SB8200 with Gigablast from Cox.

Each kid has a PS/Xbox in their room, so, I need to account for their usage as well as usage when I get my new xbox upstairs. The main level stuff is all wired in. Im not overly worried about only having 1-2 ethernet ports on the main base, as I can just get a cheap 4-5 port switch to handle that. Id like ethernet ports on the satellites, so that I can wire in the kids' gaming systems, but also have wired in the office. I like the triband that has dedicated channels for communication between the units.

And yes, I know the wired connections on the satellites are just enhanced wireless, since they is no physical connection to the modem.

Id like to spend less than $500.

Been looking at the Orbi system or the Nighthawk systems at costco. They are both wifi6, but all of our devices, outside of our iphones are wifi5 or lower. I have around 20 connected devices today between the nest, ring, fridge (basically just alerts me it the door doesnt close), tvs, ipads, etc.

I had the Netgear Orbi for a few years and it was pretty good.

I recently switched to the Nest Mesh system and I think I like it better - seems more consistent and the speeds are higher than what I was seeing with the Orbi.

iu

OP is on the right track. I have been eyeing the new Eero Pro as a housewarming gift for my daughter, but the initial reviews indicate that though its fast AF, it has "range issues" whereby speeds degrade pretty quickly the further you travel away from the WiFi units themselves.

The Linksyst MX10 Velop AX system has terrific reviews, but it's outside of OP's targeted price range (cry once, buy once, IMO). Sadly, it's at the same price point ($700) as the Orbi AX6000, which would be my upgrade pick.

Much like the OP, my entertainment areas are hard wired and I've not felt the need to upgrade yet as nearly all of my devices are not WiFi 6 compatible, so I'm still trudging along with my Orbi RBR-50's, which have been rock solid for me since day 1. They're getting a little "long in the tooth", so I'll wait for a good sale to take advantage of an upgrade.

Bottom line - there really are no truly bad choices with mesh WiFi routers these days. Even the sub-optimal ones are so much faster and better than the old ones that it's pretty hard to go wrong.

Reactions: Billbra5ky
I had the Netgear Orbi for a few years and it was pretty good.

I recently switched to the Nest Mesh system and I think I like it better - seems more consistent and the speeds are higher than what I was seeing with the Orbi.
My only issue with Nest is they're a Google product (full disclosure - I have several in my home), and the last thing I truly want is Google pulling even MOAR data about me out of my network devices. Beyond that, solid choice and I'm glad they're working out for you.

I wouldn't consider my needs to be that of a power user, but I bought Google's Nest before it was Nest and have been very happy. It's a little more budget-friendly, from what I can tell.

My only issue with Nest is they're a Google product (full disclosure - I have several in my home), and the last thing I truly want is Google pulling even MOAR data about me out of my network devices. Beyond that, solid choice and I'm glad they're working out for you.
We're used to it with our iPhones and Alexa's.

We'll be talking about a particular product and then boom, the next day we go on Amazon that product appears in our 'recommended' section...

Reactions: LoudHogRider
We're used to it with our iPhones and Alexa's.

We'll be talking about a particular product and then boom, the next day we go on Amazon that product appears in our 'recommended' section...
oh that crap happens all the time to us. My wife and I are going to start talking about winning the lottery to see if that works.

Reactions: LoudHogRider
If the eero pro6 ax4200 is really that good, I'd almost be willing to splurge a bit.

One of the downsides I see Orbi is the massive size of them. Id have to figure out how to fit it on my desk with my laptop and 2 27" monitors.
My wife and I have an Alexa in our bedroom, and just the other day Amazon suggested male enhancement pills to me. Ruthless.
must have heard your wife...

If the eero pro6 ax4200 is really that good, I'd almost be willing to splurge a bit.

One of the downsides I see Orbi is the massive size of them. Id have to figure out how to fit it on my desk with my laptop and 2 27" monitors.

must have heard your wife...
Or lack thereof.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Wire everything you possibly can is my philosophy. Still waiting to encounter a WiFi network that doesn't behave strangely or a device that doesn't have some bizarre inability to work properly on full signal.

Yet when you wire it in, it just works every time. Still have a ton of my cheap box of Cat 5e cable left, the stuff can handle up to what, a gig per second? Most people don't pay for that much speed anyhow.

We get like 95 Mbps for $45 a month and the only time I come close to needing it all is to download movies and game update files.

Honestly, what are you going to do wirelessly to use enough bandwidth that you'll notice the upgrade?

We have a TP-Link Deco 5 system and it works great. Our house is a long ranch with a main concrete structural wall in the middle and we always had issues getting a good signal throughout. No problem now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT