ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best concert you've been to.

Bugeater

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Surprise, AZ via North Platte
Just wondering what the best concert you ever went to? Could be your kids at school, a Philharmonic performance, rock, country, whatever. I've been to a variety over the years, not a lot, but Van Halen in 1980, The Eagles, a few classical music performances, The Cars, Pavarotti, a few 50's & 60's variety concerts with groups from those era's. I think the two I enjoyed the most were the Eagles and the Bee Gees, the former at the Cow Palace 1980, the latter back in 1989 in Melbourne. Both groups seemed to be perfectionist and it showed when they got on stage. You?

***Hell, almost forgot, the Highwaymen back around 1986. Cash, Nelson, Jennings, Kristofferson, and I remember Willie was clean shaven for that one, weird seeing him like that.***
This post was edited on 2/28 9:34 PM by Bugeater

Originally posted by Bugeater:

Just wondering what the best concert you ever went to? Could be your kids at school, a Philharmonic performance, rock, country, whatever. I've been to a variety over the years, not a lot, but Van Halen in 1980, The Eagles, a few classical music performances, The Cars, Pavarotti, a few 50's & 60's variety concerts with groups from those era's. I think the two I enjoyed the most were the Eagles and the Bee Gees, the former at the Cow Palace 1980, the latter back in 1989 in Melbourne. Both groups seemed to be perfectionist and it showed when they got on stage. You?
Elton John at Sandstone Ampitheater in Kansas City 1989.

Boston in Lincoln in about 1987.
This post was edited on 2/28 9:24 PM by BornNBredRed

I have to rate them in this order:
1. Zac Brown Band
2. The Eagles on their Histroy of The Eagles tour last year
3. Aerosmith (circa 1997 pink tour, they sucked in Omaha when they played with Kiss when Quest first opened)
4. Rob Zombie when he opened up for Korn in the late 90s.
5. Green Day numerous times
I have seen alot of different shows from all genres (besides hip hop). I would not hesitate to go see Zac Brown Band again, wife and I have seen them twice. I enjoy watching Uncle Ted (especially when he sings Ted Bear). Summer after High School I saw Weezer open for No Doubt at Westfair over in Counciltucky, got to the front and gave Gwen a rose. She ran her hand down my arm, winked at me and blew a kiss. My gf at the time was less than impressed. Haha.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Best
1. Kiss
2. Rush
3. Pink Floyd
4. Poison

Worst
1. Counting Crows
2. Smashing Pumpkins (They did not play any of their big hits)

Reactions: huskers360
Best concert seen in Lincoln: Kiss/ Segar warmed up for Kiss.

Best concert seen in Omaha : Queen and John Couger Mellencamp.

Best concert seen in the Music Hall in Omaha: Rush and the other was original AC/DC warm up for Cheap Trick.

In Ames seen Billy Joel and Elton John
This post was edited on 2/28 9:44 PM by scarletred

Reactions: Wasker77
Top:
The Who
ELO
Moody Blues

Remember for the wrong reasons:
Badfinger (amps too big for the small auditorium, my ears rang for 2 days)
Jethro Tull (music fine but Ian Anderson kept telling the audience to be quiet, "this is a concert, not a rabble"

Woodstock or was it Snoopystock

I just can't remember back then man!

happy0025.r191677.gif

Foo Fighters at the Forum a month ago
U2 at the Rose Bowl (unreal atmosphere)
Pearl Jam in San Francisco
Mumford and Sons in Santa Barbara

I've been lucky enough to see lots of great concerts for still being in my 20s. AC/DC about 4 years ago was amazing. Motley Crüe puts in a great show. Eagle (twice) were pretty good as well. Brooks and Dunn also did a good job. Springsteen was good, but didn't play a lot of his hits.

Top 3: AD/DC, the Crüe, and then RHCP.

One of the worst: Kiss and Areosmith. Total disappointment. In Omaha about 10-11 years ago. No encore. Just want not that impresses.

EDIT- Ben Folds last year in Lincoln. He was tremendous. Can't believe I forgot him. He may be in the top 3.
This post was edited on 2/28 11:10 PM by GretnaShawn

Originally posted by BornNBredRed:

Originally posted by Bugeater:

Elton John at Sandstone Ampitheater in Kansas City 1989.

Boston in Lincoln in about 1987.
This post was edited on 2/28 9:24 PM by BornNBredRed
As far as the quality of how they sounded I'm with you on Boston at Devaney, but I think it was in 1986. They sounded so clear that I almost couldn't believe it was a concert.

The real Journey. Bryan Adams opened for them and put on a pretty good show himself. Head East played outside of Wahoo in about1979 when Lincoln wouldn't let them play in town. The beach boys at Rosenblatt was a great party! Finally Brooks Nd Dunn farewell concert was pretty special.

Reactions: jlh19801
Prince.
Does not matter where.

Faith No More at the ranch bowl.
Maybe 200 people there and it was freaking amazing.

I was there to bowl.

That's an easy one. It was a warm day in London at Wembley Stadium in 1975. It was called the Mid Summer Music concert. This massive event was planned and advertised for Elton John's new album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. The line up ran Stackridge, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Joe Walsh, The Eagles, The Beach Boys, and finally John himself. Simply the most amazing concert I have ever or will ever see.

saw Paul McCartney 10 years ago in Omaha. Nice.

I might be in the minority here but when both my daughters were in High School at the same time we were able to see their fall & spring concerts for regular band & jazz band. Sitting in the auditorium watching them play was fantastic. One was a senior & one was a freshman. Not a better feeling in the world then that of a proud parent.

Now on a different front, the Sparktessa & I have been to numerous concerts, outdoor, indoor, Omaha, KC. Believe it or not Kenny Chesney at Arrowhead, Three Dog Night in Grand Island( I actually was able to understand every word from every song) and then the Eagles at Pinnacle Bank were all great. Different energies at all 3. The Eagles was 3 hours of fantastic music where we just sat there and listened. On a side note the Kenny Chesney concerts at Arrowhead are awesome. It's 5 hours of tailgating then a great outdoor concert. BTW, If anyone is going to the one on August 1st let me know. We'll be tailgating in full force.

Reactions: TheNewNU
OAYO Symphony kicks butt every year, but they are particularly strong this year.

Some of the better ones I have seen: Triumph, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi opening for Ratt, REM, Sonic Youth, Sin City Disciples, Sting. But Prince probably tops the list, with Lefty Dizz a close second. That was one fun guy.

Rush Time Machine tour would be #1 for me.

Joe King Carrasco running through the streets of the Old Market might have been the most fun.

1) Dierks Bentley's Riser Tour at 2014 for Country Jam in Eau Claire, Wisconsin (outdoors)
2) Coldplay's Viva la Vida Tour in 2008 (Qwest)
4) Jake Owen's Days of Gold Tour 2014 in Norfolk, NE (Outdoors)
3) Toby Keith 2006 Unleashed Tour with Ted Nugent (Qwest Center)
4) Fleetwood Mac's farewell tour 2015 (Pinnacle Bank Arena)
5) Collective Soul at Stir Concert Cove 2014

Reactions: TheNewNU
1. Rush-Time Machine Tour Red Rocks
2.ZZ Top World Texas Tour with J. Geils Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd The sugar Bowl New Orleans
3. 38 Special Iron Maiden and Aldo Nova Hirsch Coliseum Shreveport LA.

Reactions: otismotis08
Interesting lists, heavy on the rock legends. Let me add:

Steve Martin (I guess that qualifies as a "concert") in Pershing Auditorium in Lincoln in about 1970, at the height of his standup career and just about the time "King Tut" came out. Great audience that included local "two wild and crazy guys" and "American girls with big American breasts."

Some others of note:

Most bizarre (but with an electric audience nonetheless): Stephen Hawking (The Universe in a Nutshell tour) here in Seattle.

I've had the good fortune to see many other great performances live, some that come to mind--Rolling Stones, Mannheim Steamroller, Transiberian Orchestra--total sensory overload (all in Seattle), Donovan (K.C.), Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, YoYo Ma, Liza Minelli & Joel Grey, Neville Brothers (small club), Pud Brown (small club), Dave Brubeck (all in New Orleans), the Byrds, BeeGees (both at UNL. BeeGees sang their biggest money maker, a Coca Cola commercial), Linda Ronstadt when she was still with Stone Pony (UNL-East Campus), Elton John and Billy Joel (Tacoma).

Extraordinary theatrical/dance performances that come to mind: Sandy Duncan in Peter Pan on Broadway, Richard Burton in Camelot (New Orleans), Cynthia Gregory and Mikhail Baryshnikov (New Orleans), and Alexander Gudonov with the Bolshoi (St. Louis).

Other memorable live event: Bobby Kennedy speaking at UNL not long before he was murdered.

Originally posted by c2o:
Prince.
Does not matter where.

Faith No More at the ranch bowl.
Maybe 200 people there and it was freaking amazing.

I was there to bowl.
Yep, Prince. Musicology tour in the round was pretty incredible.

My Top Baker's Dozen =

1] Springsteen. I have a top 4 that are all tied & one was at the Bob just behind Gov. Rockin Bob Kerry and Deborah Winger.
2] The Clash & The Tubes in San Fran back in the early 80s.
3] The Stones at Red Rocks
4] Prince. I have a top 3 that are all tied
5] No Nukes Concert in Las Vegas in early 90s in The Joint at the Red Rock. Included surprise appearances by several musicians like Springsteen to play with Bonnnie Rait, Jackson Brown, Indigo Girls, CS&N, Shawn Colvin and a little known local group at that time called The Killers.
6] George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars in 99 at Rome, NY.
7] Billy Joel & Elton John. Bally's, Las Vegas 2007.
8] Michael Jackson Thiller Tour (twice)
9] B-52s at Mandalay Bay's Beach Party
10] Every concert I've seen with Gustavo Dudamel conducting. We have a membership to the LA Phil so we've seen several. Linked is an example in case anyone ever has the chance to attend when in LA. He's probably better in the Disney Concert Hall than at the Vatican but I haven't been to the Vatican so that's just a guess. Dudamel is a force of nature.
11] U2. I have 3 that are tied.
12] Greatful Dead. Several are woven together as a tie. I can't seem to even separate them from each other. I wonder why that is?
confused0006.r191677.gif

13] Rascal Flatts last year.

Gustavo Dudamel @ Vatican

u2 joshua tree '87. kemper arena in kc. it was a great road trip. one of the last hurrahs with some of my college buds.

Reactions: bigboxes
Moody blues Hollywood bowl
James Taylor Hollywood bowl
Sting Irvine Meadows
Rod Stewart Irvine Meadows

Best: Springsteen '84 at the Devaney Center.
Worst: REO Speedwagon at the Civic Auditorium
First: Rush on the "Signals" tour at the Civic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT