ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bats in the attic!

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
Thought I’d seek feedback on any recommendations to address the likelihood that I have bats roosting in my attic. Live in Omaha and have used Critter Control in the past about 10 years ago for a similar issue. TIA.
GBR!

This might not help but it's kinda funny so here I go.....

I used to fish for bats at my buddy's farm in Missouri. Tied the largest noisiest lure with 2 or 3 treble hooks on the line, let out about 10-15 feet, swirl it around in the air where they were flying under the light and we'd snag 'em. It was pretty fun. Might not help you out much though.

Yes we were drunk.

Now that it is getting warmer they’ll leave at night and come back before dawn.. Somewhere around the roof their getting in and it does take much space for them to sneak in..

You need to get them out... Businesses that do pest control aren’t allowed to kill any bats during their breeding season which I believe is May- September, but don’t quote me on that timeline..

The company I work for bought part of a building in the Haymarket a few years ago, and we've learned that the area is loaded with bats. Very hard to keep them out of old buildings, and boy can they make a mess. Makes it hard to keep a tenant when they have bats hanging over their head shitting all day. Somewhere I've got a card for a guy in Lincoln that specializes in bats and other weird pests.

Reactions: scarletred
thumb_crazy-toys-in-the-attic-i-am-crazy-truly-gone-47191176.png

Reactions: WHCSC
they have parasite called " Bat Bugs" that are 1 evolutionary deviation from Bed Bugs. They are damn near identical. Disgusting things.

I had them in my house, get the pros out there ASAP to exclude them. They shit all over the insulation and they're also annoying to listen to scratching and squeaking up there.

They're a protected species so the animal control guys will seal off your attic vents with mesh screens etc. You can only do it certain times of year. Then they'll put in a one-way door at their entry point so they leave at night and can't come back.

Cost me something like $4,000 - $4,500 all in. But you'll never find all the access points yourself and you won't have any luck even if you wanted to kill them illegally. I never even saw them, there's no way I could have killed them.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Didn't have my reading glasses on when I first read the title. I thought it said bats on the attack...... AND would be good news about or baseball team.

• Haha
Reactions: EastOregonHusker
Whatever you do, do it quickly. Once they have babies you have to wait to remove them usually.
Correct. Pup season for bats is early May or so through August/early September. We do not...nor will most companies do them from June 1 through September.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I know this feeling. Dealing with pests is not the most pleasant experience. I have a vacation house in Dayton, and every summer when I come there, I have to call an eviction company. Because raccoons really love to get into my property and throw garbage around my backyard. If you are interested, I am using the services of the guys from https://dayton.aaacwildliferemoval.com/raccoon-removal. A friend of mine recommended me this company to me, and since then, I am calling only these guys to help me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
We had a couple try roosting last year in our attic area, they would get in the main part of our house through our basement, one must’ve tried drinking in our fish tank. I only knew this when my angel fish seemed sick. I cleaned the tank and found a few bat bones in a small cavity. My fish ate a bat.

After putting up a fiberglass screen along the wall in the only place they could get in for a few days, they went to another home and I put expanding foam up in a less than 1/2” gap between our chimney and soffit.

Today we have a few fly right over our heads right at dawn. Some neighbors obviously haven’t taken care of them.

Here’s a video of my extrusion, never saw them exit, but they obviously wanted back in.

Thought I’d seek feedback on any recommendations to address the likelihood that I have bats roosting in my attic. Live in Omaha and have used Critter Control in the past about 10 years ago for a similar issue. TIA.
GBR!

We have a small irrigation canal behind my house so in the warm months of the year I have bats flying around back there in the evening catching bugs. We are pretty dry so we don't have a lot of mosquitoes or other bugs. We had a bat living in an air vent in our house one winter a few years back. The bat sure made a mess of that side of our house. Noisy too. I checked for it in late March and it was gone so I put screens on all my air vents and have not had the problem since.

Now we have Killer Asian Wasps that are in HUGE in Western Washington in the farm country north of Seattle near the Canadian border. They destroy bees. I can tell you the farmers here in Eastern Washington do not want them on this side of the mountains. They could be devastating for the fruit industry.

Go outside at dusk and walk around your house to see where they’re flying out because the pest co will put a 1 way door in that area so they can’t get back in. You may need to disinfect. Look for piles of bat guano around your house - that’s where they’re roosting at least some of the time. Do you have kids cuz they can find ways into your house and if u wake up with a bat in your house - kill it and have it tested for rabies or you’ll have to get the injections.

ADVERTISEMENT