ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Automotive/Electrical experts help!

newAD

Head Coach
Oct 14, 2007
Omaha
Because the knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me, if anyone can solve this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a Mazda with the radio on the left, NOT the "Infotainment" screen on the right.

I started my car yesterday and I can not change the radio station, change the input menu (play music from my phone via bluetooth) adjust the volume, or shut it off by using the buttons on the unit itself nor the radio controls on the steering wheel. All the other controls on the steering wheel work (cruise, trip odometer, blue tooth phone).

I have checked and changed the "audio" fuse, and have disconnected the battery for a few seconds, but not an extended period of time, but when re-connecting the battery the problem still remains. I don't know if disconnecting it for a few hours will make a difference?

Searching online I can find information on how to reset the "Infotainment" unit, but not this base radio.

Any ideas?

9102.jpg

Or disconnect the battery and connect the two terminal leads together for about 5 mins to reset all the electricalizers.
This is a good place to start. I'd give it more like a half hour because it can take a long time to discharge the little amount of charge it takes to run something like a radio.

Try disconnecting the battery, then turning the key to completely drain the system. After about fifteen to twenty minutes, reconnect the battery. Might work.
Without knowing anything about the setup I like this suggestion. Give it a "hard reset" and if that doesn't work, start googling the symptoms.

Does it have some kind of anti-theft lockout that you have to enter a code or something? A lot of them if they're disconnected from the battery they go into lockout mode.

Upgrade to the infotainment unit. What's wrong with you, do you have something against being simultaneously educated and entertained?

I couldn’t find one when I was looking that had it. The upgrade afterwards was well....I’m a cheap bastard.

Reactions: BigredN
Without knowing anything about the setup I like this suggestion. Give it a "hard reset" and if that doesn't work, start googling the symptoms.

Does it have some kind of anti-theft lockout that you have to enter a code or something? A lot of them if they're disconnected from the battery they go into lockout mode.

No reset code that I know of.

i can’t get the leads to touch. So I did what this guy said. However I couldn’t get the negative lead to touch the positive, so I had to use a piece of metal to touch the two. Good news, everything re-set & the radio is off. Bad news, I can’t get the radio to turn on, or change modes. So I’m disconnecting both battery leads overnight. Then I’ll see what happens. Thanks for the replies. Maybe the Fletch in me will figure it out? Any further ideas would be appreciated.

i can’t get the leads to touch. So I did what this guy said. However I couldn’t get the negative lead to touch the positive, so I had to use a piece of metal to touch the two. Good news, everything re-set & the radio is off. Bad news, I can’t get the radio to turn on, or change modes. So I’m disconnecting both battery leads overnight. Then I’ll see what happens. Thanks for the replies. Maybe the Fletch in me will figure it out? Any further ideas would be appreciated.
Disconnecting both leads won't do anything. Just take the positive off of the battery and pin it to any metal part you can clamp it to. Doubt it will matter though, its probably either a fried radio or a bad ribbon in the steering column, neither of which are you going to fix on your own.

Reactions: newAD
Could it be that you have a radio button stuck? Maybe stuck in place so that it overrides all other commands to the radio?

I've had something similar one time, got the button to pop out and everything worked again.

I say take that gun you have in your hand and shoot it, worked for Callahan! ;)

Disconnecting both leads won't do anything. Just take the positive off of the battery and pin it to any metal part you can clamp it to. Doubt it will matter though, its probably either a fried radio or a bad ribbon in the steering column, neither of which are you going to fix on your own.

Im thinking you are right. When I left both leads off for a few hours the clock reset again.

Could it be that you have a radio button stuck? Maybe stuck in place so that it overrides all other commands to the radio?

I've had something similar one time, got the button to pop out and everything worked again.

I wondered with how cold it has been if that was the case, but I’ve really looked them over.

Because the knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me, if anyone can solve this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a Mazda with the radio on the left, NOT the "Infotainment" screen on the right.

I started my car yesterday and I can not change the radio station, change the input menu (play music from my phone via bluetooth) adjust the volume, or shut it off by using the buttons on the unit itself nor the radio controls on the steering wheel. All the other controls on the steering wheel work (cruise, trip odometer, blue tooth phone).

I have checked and changed the "audio" fuse, and have disconnected the battery for a few seconds, but not an extended period of time, but when re-connecting the battery the problem still remains. I don't know if disconnecting it for a few hours will make a difference?

Searching online I can find information on how to reset the "Infotainment" unit, but not this base radio.

Any ideas?

9102.jpg

Any ideas?

9102.jpg
Any stuck buttons on the key fobs?
Try driving the car on a rough road to see if that shacking uncovers a short.

Reactions: newAD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT