ADVERTISEMENT

OT: auto mechanic hep

battery and alternators? Sorry I’m a novice...

Today's cars are full of computers and sensors. Stable power is important. It can and does effect things like your fans. All I was saying is that you should have those checked out if your fans don't work before you replace the fan assembly. Also, you may have a restricted radiator. Luckily, new ones are cheap and easy to install.

Reactions: little a
Today's cars are full of computers and sensors. Stable power is important. It can and does effect things like your fans. All I was saying is that you should have those checked out if your fans don't work before you replace the fan assembly. Also, you may have a restricted radiator. Luckily, new ones are cheap and easy to install.

thanks, I’m taking it to local mechanic who my family has known for a long time.... the older I get the more I want to “figure it out” or at least try to fix myself. Cheers

Reactions: dinglefritz
thanks, I’m taking it to local mechanic who my family has known for a long time.... the older I get the more I want to “figure it out” or at least try to fix myself. Cheers

This is what I'd use to test for a blown head gasket. Search for Block Tester BT-500 Combustion Leak Test Kit on Amazon. It seems that this board is not letting me post links.

I used to have a mechanic friend whom I could barter services. But I always wanted to do what I could myself. Never wanted to take advantage of our friendship.

Reactions: little a
All the guys that posted before me know 100x more about cars than I do. Throwing I n my two cents, From personal experience with an older Camry years ago a water pump going bad where the impellers are mostly broken can cause a car to overheat.

I had a cracked water pump on my old 99 Accord and it would overheat below a certain RPM. If I had to sit idle or there was traffic I would have to throw it in neutral and rev the engine to keep it from creeping up.

It was like clockwork. Sit at idle, up bounces the temp gauge. Start moving and down goes the temp gauge.

I had a cracked water pump on my old 99 Accord and it would overheat below a certain RPM. If I had to sit idle or there was traffic I would have to throw it in neutral and rev the engine to keep it from creeping up.

It was like clockwork. Sit at idle, up bounces the temp gauge. Start moving and down goes the temp gauge.
Ha...it seems we had the same car!

Ha...it seems we had the same car!
I'm sure they were prone to the same issues with the same parts. When they fixed the misfire issue on my 2012 Odyssey I didn't think twice about having them replace the water pump while they had it apart.

That Accord still ran great well over 100K miles, but the heat got really fussy. Probably needed an all new radiator. I traded it in for a 13 Civic a few year back.

I hit the jackpot with that misfire problem, I got the van used and it happened in the last year of Honda coverage for that problem. Got several rebuilt cylinders at about 70K miles at no cost, plus I got the water pump and timing belt work cheaper since they had to open up the engine anyhow.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I would check to see if the fans are spinning properly. With the car in park and the engine running oh, turn the AC on full-blast. Both fan should be spinning. If not, you can replace the fan assembly. But first, I would have the battery checked and the alternator as failing components can cause similar symptoms.

Nissans are known for blown head gaskets. You can buy kit on Amazon that will allow you to check to see if that's the case. If that's the case you can decide if you want to put any more money into this vehicle. Nissan was a middle of the road manufacturer of automobiles until Renault bought them out. Now they have awful transmissions and blown head gaskets.

thanks- I took it to a mechanic - he pressure tested and found no gasket or pump problems; radiator clamp missing, replaced and charged $75. Car no longer overheating but the temp. gauge now oscillates from 25-50%, is that normal? Also today on a whim and remembering your post I stopped at O’reillys and had battery and alternator checked- he found alternator bad- battery at 12.79 but it didn’t jump to 14.2— so I guess now I have to deal with that too... ugh. Thanks again

Reactions: bigboxes
Those altenator testers they use exclusively at auto parts chains are notoriously inaccurate. They can test it a few times in a row and get inconsistent results.

Thank you! I just used multimeter (luckily my wife said “don’t we have multimeter?”)and found out it was an inaccurate test-12 at first and then 14.

Reactions: BigRedRising
ADVERTISEMENT