ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Anyone know of a good furniture store?

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
Wife & I will be buying sofa, loveseat, and rocker recliner. We've checked online and this crap scares me. Most furniture is either cheap crap that will last 5 years or less or will have to pay 3K for 1 sofa. Brands like Ashley, Lazy Boy, & Flexsteel are popular but their reviews are AWFUL. Wanting to spend up to $2,500 but it seems that price will get me furniture that will only last a couple years. It seems I'm forced to buy junk or she'll out 5K. Help would be appreciated, thx

Same brands as NFM & Sumberlands. I guess I'm asking for too much. My last option is checking out some Amish places.

Same brands as NFM & Sumberlands. I guess I'm asking for too much. My last option is checking out some Amish places.
I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I haven't been there for 15 years and they were fighting it then. I guess the battle was lost.

Just got a sectional this summer. You get what you pay for. The cheap stuff is...well...cheap. Also about to buy a rocker recliner for baby's room.

I asked about gliders and the moms all said "spend a little extra to get a nice rocker recliner."

I've never felt like an idiot for paying good money for a nice product that lasted a long time. I have often felt like an idiot for going cheap and having the product fail on me.

Just got a sectional this summer. You get what you pay for. The cheap stuff is...well...cheap. Also about to buy a rocker recliner for baby's room.

I asked about gliders and the moms all said "spend a little extra to get a nice rocker recliner."

I've never felt like an idiot for paying good money for a nice product that lasted a long time. I have often felt like an idiot for going cheap and having the product fail on me.

Exactly. Quality costs money.

Ernies in Ceresco. Make sure to negotiate prices. Furniture is one of the most overpriced/marked up items out there.

Hutch in Midtown has nice stuff. Probably pretty pricey, but it's well-made. A lot of our stuff came from IKEA, which was worth the trip to KC. Both of these options tend towards the modern aesthetic, so if that's not your vibe, then my advice is worthless.

I had a buddy and a cousin that used to refinish furniture.. neither of them do that anymore and my guess is, it's just too cost prohibitive to have the older, well built, furniture refinished. For the furniture industry, they want you on the 3-5 year "upgrade" cycle just like every other industry. Why would they build something you only have to buy once? (being slightly sarcastic)

It may sound funny, but check out Costco. We live in Houston, and we bought some end tables and a few other items at Costco because we liked it. We then went through Gallery Furniture (Big Houston Store) and found the same stuff marked up almost 50%. Everytime I walk through Costco I test out their furniture and it seems to be legit.

Reactions: tpmcg
It may sound funny, but check out Costco. We live in Houston, and we bought some end tables and a few other items at Costco because we liked it. We then went through Gallery Furniture (Big Houston Store) and found the same stuff marked up almost 50%. Everytime I walk through Costco I test out their furniture and it seems to be legit.
And at Costco you can return all items purchased and get new ones at anytime for any reason (outside of food and electronics). I know a guy, who is super cheap, he returned his 15 year old washer and dryer and they replaced it with new ones- no cost, no questions. His girlfriends daughter tried to wash a glass dish after she took it out of the oven and it shattered. Getting glass in the disposal. Costco replaced it no questions asked. And lastly, he has an old leather couch that was beat up bad. Scratched and torn (he has a condo in Colorado that he rents so his furniture gets beat) and Costco replaced it. Every time you get something replaced it is always with the new model/style. Costco is an impressive company. And some people are cheap pricks.

Reactions: leodisflowers
And at Costco you can return all items purchased and get new ones at anytime for any reason (outside of food and electronics). I know a guy, who is super cheap, he returned his 15 year old washer and dryer and they replaced it with new ones- no cost, no questions. His girlfriends daughter tried to wash a glass dish after she took it out of the oven and it shattered. Getting glass in the disposal. Costco replaced it no questions asked. And lastly, he has an old leather couch that was beat up bad. Scratched and torn (he has a condo in Colorado that he rents so his furniture gets beat) and Costco replaced it. Every time you get something replaced it is always with the new model/style. Costco is an impressive company. And some people are cheap pricks.
So he's a thief.

My taste also is somewhat modern (think Eames lounge chair). Pain in the a$$ to find anything at most stores.

Reactions: theoriginalrealdeal
Just checked Costco.com most furniture is really dark, maybe in store has different stuff. That's an insane return policy. I called Costco to confirm and they agreed.

I bought a couple of barstools from the Amish furniture place in Greenwood. Excellent stuff but it will definitely lighten your wallet. Everything is custom order so I doubt prices are negotiable unless you spend a ton. Took 4 weeks to get our barstools.

Wife & I will be buying sofa, loveseat, and rocker recliner. We've checked online and this crap scares me. Most furniture is either cheap crap that will last 5 years or less or will have to pay 3K for 1 sofa. Brands like Ashley, Lazy Boy, & Flexsteel are popular but their reviews are AWFUL. Wanting to spend up to $2,500 but it seems that price will get me furniture that will only last a couple years. It seems I'm forced to buy junk or she'll out 5K. Help would be appreciated, thx

Yodersamishfurniture.com is an excellent place but is pricey. Furniture extremely well made. Greenwood NE. greyhairedfreak is correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT