ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone have a robotic mower?

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
I have a neato vacuum and it vacuums in nice straight lines, do they make robotic lawn mowers that do that?
or are they like rumba's that go everywhere randomly?

and if you do have a robotic lawnmower, do you like it and what kind? does it do hills ok?

d-illustration-robot-lawnmower-lawn-mower-78986213.jpg
Yes...

Reactions: keilwitzg and tpmcg
They dont hit edges well, and they are more trouble than they are worth. You just bury the probes around the border and it does its thing.

yard work is good exercise, so I don't want to get a robotic lawn mower unless it's reasonably priced and does a good job

Husqvarna makes a robotic lawnmower, but it is similar to the rumba. You set a boundary with an underground wire. The same concept as an e-fence for your pet. I would not recommend one. Toro, John Deere, and Jacobsen are still in the early stages of development for sports turf and golf course robotic mowers. I don't see one available for homeowners that can mow straight lines and patterns for several years.

Reactions: redwine65
I had a robotic mower but I had to sell it because I didn’t like the way it works. He didn’t cover all my loan like it should. Anyway, I was looking for a great solving of the situation and I find out about https://lawn.com.au/ that helped me a lot with taking care of my garden in general, more particularly the loan. I am in love with my garden and I would never let anyone touch it. Maybe I am just obsessed with it, but I am like this.

Last edited:
I have a neato vacuum and it vacuums in nice straight lines, do they make robotic lawn mowers that do that?
or are they like rumba's that go everywhere randomly?

and if you do have a robotic lawnmower, do you like it and what kind? does it do hills ok?
Mowing my lawn has been great therapy after watching the first half of Husker football for several years.

Husqvarna makes a robotic lawnmower, but it is similar to the rumba. You set a boundary with an underground wire. The same concept as an e-fence for your pet. I would not recommend one. Toro, John Deere, and Jacobsen are still in the early stages of development for sports turf and golf course robotic mowers. I don't see one available for homeowners that can mow straight lines and patterns for several years.
I have a neighbor that has one of these. It's always going but it never appears that it actually mows. He still mows his yard once a week with his walk behind as well.

I had a neighbor with a german shepard and an invisible fence. I think the fence failed during/after a thunderstorm&rain as I saw it running around the neighborhood after these events. I wonder if the mowers would do the same thing. The point being if it fails will it mow over the neighbors flower garden? I don't trust it.

I had a neighbor with a german shepard and an invisible fence. I think the fence failed during/after a thunderstorm&rain as I saw it running around the neighborhood after these events. I wonder if the mowers would do the same thing. The point being if it fails will it mow over the neighbors flower garden? I don't trust it.
Sounds like Maximum Overdrive II

I have a neighbor that has one of these. It's always going but it never appears that it actually mows. He still mows his yard once a week with his walk behind as well.
I also have a neighbor with one and I asked him about it. He loved it because he's lazy and literally never mowed traditionally again. However, the damn thing runs basically all the time because it can only do part of the lawn on a charge, and the grass looks like hell. In no way, shape or form does the lawn "look" freshly mowed. More like it has been trampled down by a crowd of people.

Reactions: Trojanhorse13
The powersports place down the street sells the Husqvarna robotic mowers. They range from $1500-3500. He's had a couple sitting on display for a couple years now. From talking to him, it sounds like you'll need to have it set to mow a couple days a week if you have a bigger yard because it might not have the juice to do it all in one mow.

I bought one last fall, a husky 430hx, from a place in des moines
set the wires, made a 2 holes in the fence so it can hit everywhere
built a garage outta brick and a steel top
ran it for a awhile. it all set to go
I mowed for 45 years so it will be nice looking out the window on a 95 degree day,
and knowing it's handled

Reactions: 6OSK3RS
I bought one last fall, a husky 430hx, from a place in des moines
set the wires, made a 2 holes in the fence so it can hit everywhere
built a garage outta brick and a steel top
ran it for a awhile. it all set to go
I mowed for 45 years so it will be nice looking out the window on a 95 degree day,
and knowing it's handled

I used Husqvarna as a subject for a final in college, and many of my class mates thought the robotic mower was awesome. They make damn good dirt bikes also.

I bought a no name Chinese robot vacuum and it wanders around the house and bumps into walls like it just got no home from 3 day bender. It takes two hours to vacuum an area I could do for myself in under 10 minutes. If Dewalt ever makes a cordless stick vac, I am buying it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT