ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone else know some interesting music?

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Ok- it’s real late, i’ve been self-partying, and I think it’s time to reach out from my usual self-imposed shell...
Here’s an eclectic, obscure list of some musical artists that represent a random fraction of sonic explorations I find appealing, and in some cases epic:
Anyone know these?
(order not significant- it’s music, not d*ck measuring)

1. Bersuit Vergarabat (Argentina’s genius)
2. Fishbone (there’s gotta be some takers here- sooo underrated)
3. Bright Light Social Hour (Austin quality with a modern hipster appeal)
4. Snarky Puppy- (just watch Sleeper video and tell me you have a pulse- Texas again)
5. Bernhoft (talented Norwegian pop soul anyone?)
6. Tauk- (holy f*ck if you like a drummer who can tickle you)
7. JJ Grey & Mofro (swamp soul with class)
8. Vulfpeck (funky funkity funk)
9. KC Roberts and the Live Revolution (spend some time and learn to appreciate boundless Toronto talent)
10. listing a few more: Umphrey’s McGee (bottomless song catalog), Walker Lukens (Austin TX quality quirk), Pat Methany (Lee Summit MO), Chano Dominguez (flamenco jazz piano) The RH Factor (Hard Groove is well done), Grupo Fantasma/Brownout (horns getting perrenial local awards),
Organ Freeman (name deserves an award), Manu Katche’ (ummm yeah), etc etc etc. This could go on for days but has to end someday.

Pretty random, but it got posted none-the-less.

Joshua Ray Walker - voices or canyon. Good, old school country. Not this poppy crap they're churning out nowadays. Kid is a good song writer.

I happened upon Dustbowl Revival at a summer concert.... I have been to 2 shows since and love their live shows! A true mix of genres with some brass!

They were voted best live band in California about 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinomatic
I happened upon Dustbowl Revival at a summer concert.... I have been to 2 shows since and love their live shows! A true mix of genres with some brass!

They were voted best live band in California about 4 years ago.
Your to young to remember spike and and the Sputnik’s, they would play at the 4 thieves in the 1970’s. Do any other posters ever remember coming down to Alexandria Ne to any of the dances they had? My gosh Main Street would be full of cars along with the side streets and along highway 53. Aw the good ole days

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Ok- it’s real late, i’ve been self-partying, and I think it’s time to reach out from my usual self-imposed shell...
Here’s an eclectic, obscure list of some musical artists that represent a random fraction of sonic explorations I find appealing, and in some cases epic:
Anyone know these?

4. Snarky Puppy- (just watch Sleeper video and tell me you have a pulse- Texas again)
9. KC Roberts and the Live Revolution (spend some time and learn to appreciate boundless Toronto talent)
10. listing a few more: Umphrey’s McGee (bottomless song catalog), Walker Lukens (Austin TX quality quirk), Pat Methany (Lee Summit MO), Chano Dominguez (flamenco jazz piano) The RH Factor (Hard Groove is well done), Grupo Fantasma/Brownout (horns getting perrenial local awards),
Organ Freeman (name deserves an award), Manu Katche’ (ummm yeah), etc etc etc. This could go on for days but has to end someday.

Not gonna lie but other than Fishbone, your list of bands sounds like a Key and Peele skit describing next years second and third stage line-up at Coachella. I will look a few of them up and see what I think.

If you enjoy legit old school sound country, Cody Jinks is the man. He refuses to do the Nashville thing and is the exact opposite of bro-country with a clickbeat. He records all this stuff independently now. He had TWO number one country albums last year. Here is a great song from a few years ago.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Not gonna lie but other than Fishbone, your list of bands sounds like a Key and Peele skit describing next years second and third stage line-up at Coachella. I will look a few of them up and see what I think.

If you enjoy legit old school sound country, Cody Jinks is the man. He refuses to do the Nashville thing and is the exact opposite of bro-country with a clickbeat. He records all this stuff independently now. He had TWO number one country albums last year. Here is a great song from a few years ago.

Love Cody Jinks...how about Cross Canadian Ragweed, Jason Boland, Whiskey Myers, Casey Donahew or Turnpike Troubadours?

Your to young to remember spike and and the Sputnik’s, they would play at the 4 thieves in the 1970’s. Do any other posters ever remember coming down to Alexandria Ne to any of the dances they had? My gosh Main Street would be full of cars along with the side streets and along highway 53. Aw the good ole days
My Dad had a collection of fliers/advertisements/posters from the bands that played in Alex, starting in 1976.... And I remember the Sputnik's name on a poster. There were three bars for about five years...... And I cannot remember the name of the other two! One down next to Hinrich's garage and the park. The other two next to Vetch's garage..... And I do remember when the 4 Thieves moved across the street into the other place. Matt Buchli working there..... and then it became Wolf Den or something. History..... And the death of a small farming community.

Love Cody Jinks...how about Cross Canadian Ragweed, Jason Boland, Whiskey Myers, Casey Donahew or Turnpike Troubadours?
I'm not familiar with them all. I enjoy Turnpike and Boland. If they still have the Lincoln On The street thing in July, I will go see Whiskey Myers along with Jamie Johnson.

My Dad had a collection of fliers/advertisements/posters from the bands that played in Alex, starting in 1976.... And I remember the Sputnik's name on a poster. There were three bars for about five years...... And I cannot remember the name of the other two! One down next to Hinrich's garage and the park. The other two next to Vetch's garage..... And I do remember when the 4 Thieves moved across the street into the other place. Matt Buchli working there..... and then it became Wolf Den or something. History..... And the death of a small farming community.
Bob and Bobby’s was the other one but I can’t remember the other one, since at that’s time I was living around Daykin

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Anyone know these?

Normally it takes 3 or 4 posts before a thread here goes to total crap, but you came out of the gate like Paul Walker driving a racecar after having 7 whiskey sours.

Props

Dive into Zappa. Just phenomenal
I saw Dweezil does (Frank) Zappa open for Return to Forever w/ Jean Luc Ponty in KC. I’m not into the too bizarre lyric songs of Frank, but sonically an excellent show. Return to Forever also rocked the Holland Performing Arts Center in Omaha possibly louder than any other to play there... and to tie it all together RTF’s Chick Corea’s Ultimate Adventure show at the Holland was one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Girish and the Chronicles. Band from India that absolutely destroys that old classic hard rock sound from ACDC to glam. The singer has an incredible voice.

ADVERTISEMENT