ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any SAEs on this board?

OwlsRule

Walk On
May 29, 2001
Am interested to hear your thoughts on what happened at the OU chapter. Did any of you experience anything similar while in that fraternity?

You do realize OU means Oklahoma right? If one chapter is bad that doesn't mean the entire country lock step has all the same views and opinions. I wasn't a SAE but I went to a chapter house for another fraternity in Mizzou and everyone was shocked at how terrible they acted.

Cool houses at one school might be nerd houses at another...racist houses at one school might be polite houses at another.

It is like anything else. Depends who is in the house

My understanding is that the song is one that has been around for decades. It's been slower to die out in southern schools.

Each chapter is different but I did see they are looking into the song at other schools in Texas. The fraternity was born during the Confederacy in the deep South and likely has some old traditions still yet to be totally removed in the Southern chapters.

Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
Cool houses at one school might be nerd houses at another...racist houses at one school might be polite houses at another.

It is like anything else. Depends who is in the house
Bingo. My house at Mizzou were some of the most awful human beings I've ever met.

Originally posted by huskerbux:
Originally posted by Cornicator:
Most of my high school friends were Sig Eps at UNL. They were too drunk to be racist.
Sig Eps are not SAEs.
Well then, I guess that explains why the Sig Eps were not racists. My bad...

Originally posted by huskerbux:

Most of my high school friends were Sig Eps at UNL. They were too drunk to be racist.
Sig Eps are not SAEs.
Well then, I guess that explains why the Sig Eps were not racists. My bad...
Lol. You had the drunk part right.....I was one at KU.

ATO from Lincoln checking in here.... I knew/know a lot of SAE's, they did not sing this song in the early/mid 90's.

Let me assure you, fraternity "song books" are FULL of things that they do not want put on the internet. I was in a house for a year. I don't recall ours having anything racist in it. We had several non-white members. But you know, as much profanity and sexually suggestive language as you could pack in per line seemed to be the goal. I don't remember any of them now.

I remember guys would call up the house late at night and be like, "Let me hear the house cheer!" which was basically nothing but a string of things you can't say on TV. Then they'd just demand that you do it louder and louder til you realized there was no such thing as loud enough and hung up on them.

Teenage guys who drink a lot come up with some very sophisticated ideas.

I would bet there have been a lot of meetings lately about updating those songs and destroying any old copies, and just generally not ever filming things on your phone ever.

They were easily the biggest numskulls on campus. Here's a review about ten years after I left but it is accurate back in the late 80's too.

SAE: Chardonnay (White Wine)
It's fairly classy, popular with the ladies, and fashionable for a Thursday night. But it is as white as "Friends" and often served with cheese.

Originally posted by B1G RED RULES:
Bingo - many fraternity songs have the same topics and lyrics as many hip hop songs.
Haven't heard of a rap song that raps about wanting to lynch blacks. I might have to check out the kkk's latest mixtape though

Agree the comparison is crazy yet you did have

Sista Sollja (sp?) talking about black folks taking a week off (from shooting each other) to shoot white folks. Don't I have that right?

mad.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/13 7:49 PM by BradWesley

I was an SAE in Lincoln In the 90s, I never heard this song while I was there. We had two African American gentleman in the house while I was there as well.

Originally posted by worldstarhusker:
Bingo - many fraternity songs have the same topics and lyrics as many hip hop songs.
Haven't heard of a rap song that raps about wanting to lynch blacks. I might have to check out the kkk's latest mixtape though
But you have heard the rap songs about killing cops and others right?

Originally posted by suhnami:
Originally posted by worldstarhusker:
But you have heard the rap songs about killing cops and others right?
It's not the 80's/90's, man. Rap songs haven't been about that in a long time. At least no more than country songs are about drinkin, beatin your wife, and shootin everything.

ADVERTISEMENT