ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Any good street pothole stories?

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Here in Omaha I'm sure there are many. I was driving west on 'L' st and exited to go south on 72nd. I couldn't believe the potholes on that exit ramp. There was no way to avoid them and those potholes were big, wide and deep. I don't think they can be patched. That exit ramp off of L st. west to 72nd will have to be torn up and resurfaced. I could imagine that some cars are being damaged because of the potholes and accidents too as people swerve to avoid the holes. Caution and patients needed.

Reactions: scarletred
Q and Millard Avenue in the same area are bad. I'm thinking of buying a lunar rover to get me through the summer.
b02ff41dbe23c388740063bc483326af.gif

Q and Millard Avenue in the same area are bad. I'm thinking of buying a lunar rover to get me through the summer.
We sound like we have driven some of the same paths. It is like Harrison street is like driving off-road as you go west and generally much tamer coming back east. Douglas/Sarpy line. Just a coincidence. Millard Ave takes me right to my two favorite wing places so I travel it often.

Reactions: newAD
Hit one over in Counciltucky the other morning that swallowed my damn duals. The front hitting it sounded like a bomb went off. You know a pothole is big when that happens..

We sound like we have driven some of the same paths. It is like Harrison street is like driving off-road as you go west and generally much tamer coming back east. Douglas/Sarpy line. Just a coincidence. Millard Ave takes me right to my two favorite wing places so I travel it often.

I take Q every day. I’m afraid to drive my Mazda 3 right now, so it’s the old beater truck for awhile.

Beware the highways around Lincoln. Absolutely god awful and you can expect a trip to the mechanic if you take them.

Some of those holes could fit a whole bed and bath in them.

Had a friend who drove an old truck (maybe late 80s) and he was driving on saddlecreek under dodge and hit a pothole and his tailgate fell off. Not surprisingly, knowing him, he just let it go and drove away

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Worst pot holes I can remember and unfortunately we're going to have them around a while because they are going to be real hard to patch when their full of water with all this snow melting.

Reactions: Suvey101885
Passing through Omaha on my way back to Minnesota, and where interstate 80 meets 680, police were out on 80 with it blocked down to one lane. I expected to see a bad accident, but instead I found road crew filling a massive pothole. Past the pothole there was a car that was turned around facing me and three more cars on the shoulder all with flat tires.

They are everywhere. I lived in South Dakota for 12 years andMN for 2 have never seen such a poor job of managing pot holes by a city.

Reactions: LikeNebraska
My gal pal the other day had a pothole on a side street near 30th and L pop two of her tires. She did some digging and found out QT actually owned that stretch of road. She called them and complained, sent pics. They sent her a check for all towing and tire costs and a $25 gift card.

L street is a joke near all the industrial areas like 30th. I assume due to semi trucks, mixed with shitty concrete. I’ve heard stothert is in bed with some shithole company that’s contracted to build cheap shitty roads. There really is no other excuse when you go to other cities. Especially when you have a surplus in money as a city. It’s really bad

I grew up on a farm and I would rather drive on and pay less for a gravel road that gets graded a couple times a year than drive on L street. Those gravel roads were nowhere near that bad.

there's a couple on south 84'th by don and millies that could high center a small car

Reactions: WHCSC
For as much as it seems we pay in wheel taxes and other street related taxes, the roads in this state suck ass. If the roads are going to suck regardless, can we at least have residential streets plowed at some point?

For as much as it seems we pay in wheel taxes and other street related taxes, the roads in this state suck ass. If the roads are going to suck regardless, can we at least have residential streets plowed at some point?
Mayor uses that tax money to travel the U.S. and tour other cities to learn how they handle potholes.

Holy crap. I was joking about it earlier in the thread, but I drove down Harrison street tonight to go eat wings. For those not familiar, Harrison street is the county line dividing Douglas(Omaha) and Sarpy County. Driving there on the Omaha side was like driving through Beirut. The drive back was like driving through Sarpy County. Literally the same exact stretch of road and the Omaha side felt rougher than when I off-roaded in Moab. The Sarpy side was amazing. Omaha really sucks at road repair.

They have always been bad but It's the worst I've ever seen. Another reason to live down south.

Holy crap. I was joking about it earlier in the thread, but I drove down Harrison street tonight to go eat wings. For those not familiar, Harrison street is the county line dividing Douglas(Omaha) and Sarpy County. Driving there on the Omaha side was like driving through Beirut. The drive back was like driving through Sarpy County. Literally the same exact stretch of road and the Omaha side felt rougher than when I off-roaded in Moab. The Sarpy side was amazing. Omaha really sucks at road repair.

It’s the same with snow removal. Giles will be bone dry on the same day where Q is completely snow packed or ice.

I don't understand how a city where we expect 25-30" of snow anually does not have a more adequate road clearing operation. Is Omaha just trying to save money or what?

Another thing that baffles me and has nothing to do with the city is how after a day of rain followed by below freezing temperatures and gusty winds I hear two different KETV meteorologists say there may be some patchy icy spots. WTF.

I drive for Lyft and Uber on the weekends and am about to put four new struts on. Haven't driven much since the potholes really started popping up, but from the pictures I've seen along with the news stories and complete closure of an important section of 144th, I may have to shut it down for awhile.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a city where we expect 25-30" of snow anually does not have a more adequate road clearing operation. Is Omaha just trying to save money or what?

I drive for Lyft and Uber on the weekends and am about to put four new struts on. Haven't driven much since the potholes really started popping up, but from the pictures I've seen along with the news stories and complete closure of an important section of 144th, I may have to shut it down for awhile.

How long you been driving, and do you do OK with it??? Always been very curious about that.

How long you been driving, and do you do OK with it??? Always been very curious about that.

Friday and Saturdays I usually go from 8 or 9pm until 3 or 4am depending on number of ride requests coming in. I'd say I average between $150-200 depending on the number of surge rides I get. Made over $400 last St. Pat's and over $400 during the first snow with accumulation this year. I personally love it. It's pretty fun meeting different people from all over the city as well as from other states and countries. There are douches and weirdos here and there, but otherwise it's a pretty sweet gig.

Friday and Saturdays I usually go from 8 or 9pm until 3 or 4am depending on number of ride requests coming in. I'd say I average between $150-200 depending on the number of surge rides I get. Made over $400 last St. Pat's and over $400 during the first snow with accumulation this year. I personally love it. It's pretty fun meeting different people from all over the city as well as from other states and countries. There are douches and weirdos here and there, but otherwise it's a pretty sweet gig.

If I understand it correctly, you are a sub contractor and are responsible for your own taxes??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT