ADVERTISEMENT

OT: All-Time Great Passers

PeliniTheCrutch

Defensive Coordinator
Jul 4, 2016
Watching a replay of the Carolina-Denver Super Bowl right now(NFL Network is one of the few semi-watchable sports channels these days). Who has worse throwing mechanics:

Cam Newton or Taylor Martinez?

I think it’s a closer battle than some would believe.

TM sure had a strange delivery. But man could that kid run circles around defenders. Tecmo Bowl.

TMart does not get the credit he deserves. Kid could flat out ball, when healthy, and gave it everything he had at all times. It sucks that injuries crippled his career. We may have won a couple of conference titles had he been able to play full strength.

TMart does not get the credit he deserves. Kid could flat out ball, when healthy, and gave it everything he had at all times. It sucks that injuries crippled his career. We may have won a couple of conference titles had he been able to play full strength.

Mechanics were awkward and he didn't run as strong as some QB's we've had, but that first step and speed were dynamic when healthy. His performance against K-State in 2010 was a jaw dropper.

Reactions: leodisflowers
T-Mart was incredible and then not incredible. Fumbling issues, YOLO bombs and then awe inspiring runs. He was the most confusing QB because you went front being amazed to furious so often.

T-Magic played hard and did what he could with what he had. no doubt he could run like a deer but was severely limited as a passer.
Some stats:

in 2012, his best season & the year he threw his most passes (368 att), he completed 10% of balls thrown 15-19 yards downfield, 17% of balls thrown 20-24 yards downfield, and DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT A PASS THAT TRAVELED LONGER THAN 25 YARDS.

a quote from ESPN's director of analytics, Bill Connelly: "Taylor Martinez should never throw a pass further than nine yards."

here's a link for any interested in digging in & how his passing compares to 42 other D1 QBs that year. pretty good breakdown.
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...pletion-percentages-collin-klein-matt-barkley

T-Magic played hard and did what he could with what he had. no doubt he could run like a deer but was severely limited as a passer.
Some stats:

in 2012, his best season & the year he threw his most passes (368 att), he completed 10% of balls thrown 15-19 yards downfield, 17% of balls thrown 20-24 yards downfield, and DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT A PASS THAT TRAVELED LONGER THAN 25 YARDS.

a quote from ESPN's director of analytics, Bill Connelly: "Taylor Martinez should never throw a pass further than nine yards."

here's a link for any interested in digging in & how his passing compares to 42 other D1 QBs that year. pretty good breakdown.
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...pletion-percentages-collin-klein-matt-barkley

The 25 yard pass thing is false. He had multiple just in game 1 vs Southern Miss.

The 25 yard pass thing is false. He had multiple just in game 1 vs Southern Miss.
a receiver catching a pass then running past the 25-yard marker isn't the same as the pass traveling 25+ yards in the air.

EDIT: you're right. just watched the highlights and he completed 2 (26 and 30 yards) for touchdowns in that game.

I just quoted the link I posted, which was made by some credible sources. not sure why they were wrong there. good catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball31ne
a receiver catching a pass then running past the 25-yard marker isn't the same as the pass traveling 25+ yards in the air.

EDIT: you're right. just watched the highlights and he completed 2 (26 and 30 yards) for touchdowns in that game.

I just quoted the link I posted, which was made by some credible sources. not sure why they were wrong there. good catch.

Wasn’t trying to play gotcha...just thought it was an incredible stat if true, so I had to check it out for myself a bit. The laziest way for me was to watch the 2012 highlight on YouTube.

Wasn’t trying to play gotcha...just thought it was an incredible stat if true, so I had to check it out for myself a bit. The laziest way for me was to watch the 2012 highlight on YouTube.
glad you caught it. I'll take a look at their stats again to make sure I'm not quoting it incorrectly.

QBCompletion.jpg

here's the table I used

This reminds me of those stat lines where someone has analyzed the tackles, blocking, pass coverage of every person at their position. Imagine the enormous difficulty in doing that? I put very little stock in those stats.

As crazy as it sounds... Taylor Martinez is probably the best and most accomplished quarterback we've had since we fired Solich. Two division titles, first team all conference, crazy highlights and lowlights.

Maybe the most "oh no, oh no, oh no..don't do THAT... wait.. GO GO GO... YES!!" player of all time.

It is too bad we didn't have a healthy Rex in 2012 or a healthy Tmart in 2013. He had a bit of a slump in 2011, but he had some really good games that year too. He played great against Washington, Northwestern (in a loss he played great) and in a few other games as well.

Man he could fly in a straight line, but he had absolutely no juke in him at all. Just imagine his speed with Abdulla or Burkhead ability to move side to side. He would have been unstoppable. Nobody would give two shits about his mechanics throwing the ball if he had that.

When he was good he was damn good, when he was bad it was bad.

Last edited:
This reminds me of those stat lines where someone has analyzed the tackles, blocking, pass coverage of every person at their position. Imagine the enormous difficulty in doing that? I put very little stock in those stats.
I'm not sure something as easily as quantified as completion % for passes thrown certain distances compares to those more subjective stats.

I agree with you about those, too. how they quantify a good blocker/coverage guy is at best an inexact science.

Man he could fly in a straight line, but he had absolutely no juke in him at all. Just imagine his speed with Abdulla or Burkhead ability to move side to side. He would have been unstoppable. Nobody would give two shits about his mechanics throwing the ball if he had that.

When he was good he was damn good, when he was bad it was bad.
Lots of different kinds of speed. DPE always looked like he was jogging out there but could change directions without losing any speed. TM looked like he was being shot out of a canon but almost had to come to a complete stop to change directions. Especially later in his career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT