ADVERTISEMENT

OT - advice on HVAC installation - Lincoln

2NU67

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2004
Need advice on good companies for Furnace, Air conditioner installation in Lincoln
TIA

GBR

Highly recommend Bill's Heating and Cooling. Great work and $3000 cheaper than anyone in town .Family owned business that is great to work with. Ask for Mike and he will give you a free quote.

I would LOVE to see proof of your claim of 3 grand cheaper than anybody else. You have no idea if you think that is true.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

From recent experience, stay away from Lennox (probably Carrier and Bryant as well). Highly overpriced and service is insanely high. Five and half year old furnace blower failed was told the parts (blower motor and control module were under warranty) labor to repair $1950.00. Turns out the parts were not under warranty, only a control module was needed for $375.00. Bottom line purchase a furnace with as few bells and whistles on it as possible. The bells and whistles are what cost and they are what fail. There are three manufactures of furnaces in the U. S. Basically just different hardware and the added bells and whistles. A fire box, an ignition or better yet a pilot light with thermo couple and a thermostat. If you have an older furnace run it as long as you can. The furnace business has become and expensive luxury with frequent repair visits required. Just absolutely nuts.

Originally posted by rowdy roddy piper:
Bigger companies with a high overhead can be that much higher compared to a smaller, family owned company. Its very common in omaha and im sure lincoln is the same.
I agree.

We built a new home and our contractor used Comfort Techs. They did a nice job and built a tightly sealed duct system (verified by duct blaster testing).

Originally posted by ForeverHusker:
From recent experience, stay away from Lennox (probably Carrier and Bryant as well). Highly overpriced and service is insanely high. Five and half year old furnace blower failed was told the parts (blower motor and control module were under warranty) labor to repair $1950.00. Turns out the parts were not under warranty, only a control module was needed for $375.00. Bottom line purchase a furnace with as few bells and whistles on it as possible. The bells and whistles are what cost and they are what fail. There are three manufactures of furnaces in the U. S. Basically just different hardware and the added bells and whistles. A fire box, an ignition or better yet a pilot light with thermo couple and a thermostat. If you have an older furnace run it as long as you can. The furnace business has become and expensive luxury with frequent repair visits required. Just absolutely nuts.
The company ripped you off. All the major companys give a 10 year warranty on all parts. Plus, unless its like a 5 ton variable speed mortor which could be 5 or 6 hundred dollars, a common price for a blower motor changeout is about 300 dollars, labor included. A/C motors dont have a control module, just a capacitor. Variable speed motors have a computer board.

Carrier is the most expensive to repair and with that reputation of overkill on bells n whistles

If you think 1 company is really 3 grand cheaper than everyone else, you're dreaming. Cost is cost on units. Nobody gets them cheaper (especially a smaller company that buys less volume). Red flag on the claim, and even moreso after pimping a standard "free quote"

The company ripped you off. All the major companys give a 10 year warranty on all parts. Plus, unless its like a 5 ton variable speed mortor which could be 5 or 6 hundred dollars, a common price for a blower motor changeout is about 300 dollars, labor included. A/C motors dont have a control module, just a capacitor. Variable speed motors have a computer board.

Carrier is the most expensive to repair and with that reputation of overkill on bells n whistles
I work on HVAC also.. If I'm understanding you right, they wanted $1,950 for just labor on a blower and circuit board replacement?... Guess it's legal to charge whatever they want, but that is what I call getting screwed.

Whatever you do, have them tape/seal the joints on ALL ductwork they can get to. Bought a house with 70s era HVAC on the lower floors and with certain vents you can barely even tell if the furnace is running. You don't want to pay to leech air in between the walls for the rest of your life.

Originally posted by N-sane:

I work on HVAC also.. If I'm understanding you right, they wanted $1,950 for just labor on a blower and circuit board replacement?... Guess it's legal to charge whatever they want, but that is what I call getting screwed.
Your understanding is correct. Reset circuit breaker, thermostat good, tested ignition (it was good), check blower motor (it seemed fine), purchased a control module (pulling out old unit could visually see burnt resistors). Fired up furnace, everything works fine. After further investigation this Model Lennox furnace appears to have many issues (perhaps a lemon). Lennox fails to disclose this and not only fails to support the product but uses the product to rip people off. I realize there is some separation between manufacturer and distributor (and service), however both are taking undue advantage. Just stay away from the big name brands and KISS.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
If you think 1 company is really 3 grand cheaper than everyone else, you're dreaming. Cost is cost on units. Nobody gets them cheaper (especially a smaller company that buys less volume). Red flag on the claim, and even moreso after pimping a standard "free quote"
I guess all the customers that get quoted 9 grand to do a whole furnace and ac system by the bigger outfits that I go in and do for 6 grand are dreamers then. Sometimes a person has to be humble to admit they dont know everything.

He said 3 grand cheaper than "anybody in town" that is a bullshit claim. You should probably just stop, it's ok to admit you don't know everything.

Yes, I did. Apparently you are having trouble following..... Look at this thread. I called bullshit about the 3 grand cheaper than anyone else. And then you claim to be able to do the same. You are both full of crap. NOBODY is that much cheaper than EVERYBODY else. Please try following along.

Give ya credit where credit is due...consistent posting.... even in an HVAC thread...kudos

ADVERTISEMENT