ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 7 McCook

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
This is the last in the series. May 24-25, 2018. Drive from North Platte to McCook ,where we spend the night. Wannie wasn't feeling well, so I got some take out from Mac's and took it back to the hotel.

Got up early the next morning and walked all around McCook. It was probably the nicest of the communities that we passed through. They had a wonderful old post office that was no longer being used for a post office. I'm not sure who owned it. I'm mad at myself at not getting something from the Sehnert Bakery. It was a coin-toss in my head and "keep moving" won that time.

As a bonus, I will throw in the state signs at the border with Kansas. Thank god the sign didn't say, "Nebraska... It's not for everyone." Laughing

DkFJ0qql.jpg

XpUB2X0l.jpg

QRqQlrDl.jpg

RK2II71l.jpg

XRhFtJTl.jpg

rcHUMZtl.jpg

6bVltPzl.jpg

BdWTtfPl.jpg

0I5oGYal.jpg

lXbex0Hl.jpg

0YGUyiPl.jpg

\
1ypqH9hl.jpg

TUcD5MOl.jpg

R0EWhYVl.jpg

c0KHJXcl.jpg

4Jh0VGFl.jpg

KXuFsOnl.jpg

4ziOXTPl.jpg

QweE5Qpl.jpg

L6obBwVl.jpg

VRvJKskl.jpg

6L5YqR8l.jpg

BTzh9b6l.jpg

128G33Vl.jpg

TjxizZOl.jpg

WAwg9t3l.jpg

s0LqvhJ.jpg

dD8lUO4l.jpg
ZX7FCuol.jpg

OLn89X5l.jpg

zlLuFbjl.jpg

lBvfWJHl.jpg

EW8iqxZl.jpg

KJ2d8UGl.jpg

h81TZaAl.jpg

mh5TeZO.jpg

7RH7JZul.jpg

rQVbi5il.jpg

UYYDE3Ul.jpg

74BqUIql.jpg

9U0a11Xl.jpg

jDg5C84l.jpg

YQorBGzl.jpg

q681RvMl.jpg

NMiF2fQl.jpg

APf1opfl.jpg

K9JkDGRl.jpg

NS7aZAOl.jpg

jaBmvCfl.jpg

lRTDW09l.jpg

zEHLa8Ml.jpg

OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 1 Chadron
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 2 Alliance
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 3 Scottsbluff
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 4 Chimney Rock
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 5 Ogallala
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 6 North Platte

Last edited:
This is the last in the series. May 24-25, 2018. Drive from North Platte to McCook ,where we spend the night. Wannie wasn't feeling well, so I got some take out from Mac's and took it back to the hotel.

Got up early the next morning and walked all around McCook. It was probably the nicest of the communities that we passed through. They had a wonderful old post office that was no longer being used for a post office. I'm not sure who owned it. I'm mad at myself at not getting something from the Sehnert Bakery. It was a coin-toss in my head and "keep moving" won that time.

As a bonus, I will throw in the state signs at the border with Kansas. Thank god the sign didn't say, "Nebraska... It's not for everyone." Laughing

DkFJ0qql.jpg

XpUB2X0l.jpg

QRqQlrDl.jpg

RK2II71l.jpg

XRhFtJTl.jpg

rcHUMZtl.jpg

6bVltPzl.jpg

BdWTtfPl.jpg

0I5oGYal.jpg

lXbex0Hl.jpg

0YGUyiPl.jpg

\
1ypqH9hl.jpg

TUcD5MOl.jpg

R0EWhYVl.jpg

c0KHJXcl.jpg

4Jh0VGFl.jpg

KXuFsOnl.jpg

4ziOXTPl.jpg

QweE5Qpl.jpg

L6obBwVl.jpg

VRvJKskl.jpg

6L5YqR8l.jpg

BTzh9b6l.jpg

128G33Vl.jpg

TjxizZOl.jpg

WAwg9t3l.jpg

s0LqvhJ.jpg

dD8lUO4l.jpg
ZX7FCuol.jpg

OLn89X5l.jpg

zlLuFbjl.jpg

lBvfWJHl.jpg

EW8iqxZl.jpg

KJ2d8UGl.jpg

h81TZaAl.jpg

mh5TeZO.jpg

7RH7JZul.jpg

rQVbi5il.jpg

UYYDE3Ul.jpg

74BqUIql.jpg

9U0a11Xl.jpg

jDg5C84l.jpg

YQorBGzl.jpg

q681RvMl.jpg

NMiF2fQl.jpg

APf1opfl.jpg

K9JkDGRl.jpg

NS7aZAOl.jpg

jaBmvCfl.jpg

lRTDW09l.jpg

zEHLa8Ml.jpg

OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 1 Chadron
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 2 Alliance
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 3 Scottsbluff
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 4 Chimney Rock
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 5 Ogallala
OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 6 North Platte
You hit Mac’s drive in...nothing better

I assume the signs were between McCook and Oberlin? I grew up in McCook and the area and my bride is from Oberlin. Those pictures brought back many memories.

I assume the signs were between McCook and Oberlin? I grew up in McCook and the area and my bride is from Oberlin. Those pictures brought back many memories.

Yup. US Hwy 83. I took the Nebraska sign pic on the Kansas side. I would've taken a pic of the sign at Whiteclay, but maybe they don't have a sign because it's native american land? Not sure. But I made sure to take a pic of the Nebraska sign on my way out!

Reactions: huskerfan66
Grew up there. Don't get back much, so really appreciate those shots. They include the railroad depot (my Dad was an engineer), the Y where I learned to swim, the newspaper where I used to work, the old Keystone Hotel where my granny worked the desk and the old First National Bank building where she lived in an upstairs apartment. Thanks again!

We used to go to Oberlin to buy M-80's. And the 3.2 beer was legal down there too.

Back in the day, the thing to do was ride one's bike to just over the border to that house down the hill from the state line prior to July 4th. Kansas had all sorts of things that Nebraska didn't have.

Much later the 3.2 beer was the target of choice. :) Alibi and the Oasis? The old Alibi on the east side of main.

On Sunday when main street in McCook was closed down I would get on my skateboard around the Methodist church in the picture and try to get stopped before hitting B street. Spent a lot of time around the train station and played tons of football in Norris park.

Back in the day, the thing to do was ride one's bike to just over the border to that house down the hill from the state line prior to July 4th. Kansas had all sorts of things that Nebraska didn't have.

Much later the 3.2 beer was the target of choice. :) Alibi and the Oasis? The old Alibi on the east side of main.

On Sunday when main street in McCook was closed down I would get on my skateboard around the Methodist church in the picture and try to get stopped before hitting B street. Spent a lot of time around the train station and played tons of football in Norris park.

We lived on the west side of town and hunted prairie dogs where the golf course is now. Plus we'd get a sniff of the rendering plant when the wind was blowing just right. Dragged main many times and flipped a U at Gibson's Discount store. Lots of good times in Cookie town.

We lived on the west side of town and hunted prairie dogs where the golf course is now. Plus we'd get a sniff of the rendering plant when the wind was blowing just right. Dragged main many times and flipped a U at Gibson's Discount store. Lots of good times in Cookie town.

Who could forget the rendering plant, that place was awful! Ever been in it? I was once, the worst thing I ever smelled, didn't think I would ever that off me. I remember the drag as well, no one bothered to stop coming out of Gibson's onto B. Then a few cars would stop in Gibson's to drink some beers and an occasional fight. The drive in was a favorite place in the day. Wasn't it the Bison? What year did you graduate? From McCook?

Reactions: bigboxes
Who could forget the rendering plant, that place was awful! Ever been in it? I was once, the worst thing I ever smelled, didn't think I would ever that off me. I remember the drag as well, no one bothered to stop coming out of Gibson's onto B. Then a few cars would stop in Gibson's to drink some beers and an occasional fight. The drive in was a favorite place in the day. Wasn't it the Bison? What year did you graduate? From McCook?

Lived there from 1970-76. Graduated in '74 and Milt Tenopir was our coach. We were bad. Our record was 4-6. McCook got so much better after that as we won a couple state championships. We were Class A when I was there.
My friend, Rodney V. and I smuggled a young lady in our trunk to get into the drive-in theatre. The movie was rated R and she was quite a bit younger. We behaved ourselves.
One time we went to the drive-in and Rodney's little brother caught a bunch of frogs at some pond down south of the concrete plant across from Barnett Park (I think that was its name). We had the frogs in a minnow bucket.
Lo and behold Sid D. pulls up about 6 spaces away with his girlfriend. They're making out and such. Then they get up and go to the concession stand. We get out and pour the whole thing in Sid's back seat of his Mercury Cougar.
Him and his girlfriend come back and start drinking their coke and eating popcorn. A few minutes later we hear and blood-curtling scream!!! Sid new exactly who did it and started hurling the frogs towards Rodney's pickup. We laughed so loud.
A few months later we visited with Sid in Kelly Park. He thought he smelled something bad in his car. He reached up inside his front seat springs, and sure enough, he pulled out a dried up frog!!!

When did you live there?

Grew up there. Don't get back much, so really appreciate those shots. They include the railroad depot (my Dad was an engineer), the Y where I learned to swim, the newspaper where I used to work, the old Keystone Hotel where my granny worked the desk and the old First National Bank building where she lived in an upstairs apartment. Thanks again!

I went back to my 40th class reunion a few years ago. It was fun seeing classmates again. We just picked up where we left off. I did a lot of remodeling and construction in McCook. It was a great start to a very good career.

Reactions: saluno22
Lived there from 1970-76. Graduated in '74 and Milt Tenopir was our coach. We were bad. Our record was 4-6. McCook got so much better after that as we won a couple state championships. We were Class A when I was there.
My friend, Rodney V. and I smuggled a young lady in our trunk to get into the drive-in theatre. The movie was rated R and she was quite a bit younger. We behaved ourselves.
One time we went to the drive-in and Rodney's little brother caught a bunch of frogs at some pond down south of the concrete plant across from Barnett Park (I think that was its name). We had the frogs in a minnow bucket.
Lo and behold Sid D. pulls up about 6 spaces away with his girlfriend. They're making out and such. Then they get up and go to the concession stand. We get out and pour the whole thing in Sid's back seat of his Mercury Cougar.
Him and his girlfriend come back and start drinking their coke and eating popcorn. A few minutes later we hear and blood-curtling scream!!! Sid new exactly who did it and started hurling the frogs towards Rodney's pickup. We laughed so loud.
A few months later we visited with Sid in Kelly Park. He thought he smelled something bad in his car. He reached up inside his front seat springs, and sure enough, he pulled out a dried up frog!!!

When did you live there?

We moved there when my parents divorced, I was in the 4th grade. Stayed there until 8th grade and moved 30 miles away so McCook and Oberlin were the closest "big" towns. I graduated in 72. As teens we ran around McCook chasing girls, never caught any. I had to go to Kansas to find my bride. If you weren't from McCook, it was a fight looking to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedBeliever
Me and my gal pal are headed up to Valentine in 2 weeks to do a day long kayak trip down the river, camp next to the river....gonna be epic and I have no doubt your series of photographs in western Nebraska set the internal wheels in my brain in motion to want to do that again.

Hooray for Boxes!!!!!!

Me and my gal pal are headed up to Valentine in 2 weeks to do a day long kayak trip down the river, camp next to the river....gonna be epic and I have no doubt your series of photographs in western Nebraska set the internal wheels in my brain in motion to want to do that again.

Hooray for Boxes!!!!!!

I'll be waiting for your pictures of Valentine, the river and your kayaking. No tent pics, please! :D

I went back to my 40th class reunion a few years ago. It was fun seeing classmates again. We just picked up where we left off. I did a lot of remodeling and construction in McCook. It was a great start to a very good career.
I know who you are, 54. You can run but you can't hide.

Reactions: BigRedBeliever
Fat kid. Spelling bee champion. Wrestling teammate of your brother. That's all the hints you're gonna get.

I lived in McCook for 8 years. Its a wonderful town. Thanks so much for the pictures. They invoked many memories. BTW, I built the fireplace inside of Mac's Drive in.
Oh my. When was it built? I’ve been going there since I was a baby and I’m 45, and it’s been there since I’ve been around.

I know who you are, 54. You can run but you can't hide.
You boys graduated with my brother in 72. He was at your 40th. I was also going in and out of your reunion as my wife had her reunion going on across the lot at fairgrounds at the same time.

You boys graduated with my brother in 72. He was at your 40th. I was also going in and out of your reunion as my wife had her reunion going on across the lot at fairgrounds at the same time.
Graduated in 1975.

Oh my. When was it built? I’ve been going there since I was a baby and I’m 45, and it’s been there since I’ve been around.

Wow. I believe we put the addition on in the winter of 1975. The fireplace rock was a white random rubble granite and we used black mortar. The east wall was finished out with some black faux "lick and stick" rock. My boss, Charlie Boehm and the owner were good friends. Most high schoolers hung around Macs on the weekends. I loved their chocolate malts.

Reactions: BradWesley
Wow. I believe we put the addition on in the winter of 1975. The fireplace rock was a white random rubble granite and we used black mortar. The east wall was finished out with some black faux "lick and stick" rock. My boss, Charlie Boehm and the owner were good friends. Most high schoolers hung around Macs on the weekends. I loved their chocolate malts.
Do you remember Larry’s Cafe or Modrells Cafe?

Thank you for all the wonderful pictures! I will admit that I had to google McCook as I had no idea where it was! (I've heard of it, of course, but that's about it.)

I believe that there was a United Methodist Church in each town that you went thru, which certainly confirms why I was raised a UM!

Now that you're done with your pictures, Boxes, I hope someone else steps up and posts their photos as these are the only posts I now read.

Thank you!

Reactions: bigboxes
Fat kid. Spelling bee champion. Wrestling teammate of your brother. That's all the hints you're gonna get.

Hey #56!! Gotcha. (Sorry I cheated and called my brother). Publisher of Etcetera; Discus thrower or shot putter; and M Club member. I still admire you for coming back out for football after temporality walking away. No one did that and those were hot, sweaty practices. I hated the sand burrs that would stick in our forearms after tackling someone. BTW, you're not fat any more. I read you ran it off.
I just lost 65 lbs since Christmas. I weigh 185# the same as what was listed in the football program. I walked 60 min daily and cutting back the meals....and NO snacking. I was using food as my narcotic.

Reactions: gomerxx
Thank you for all the wonderful pictures! I will admit that I had to google McCook as I had no idea where it was! (I've heard of it, of course, but that's about it.)

I believe that there was a United Methodist Church in each town that you went thru, which certainly confirms why I was raised a UM!

Now that you're done with your pictures, Boxes, I hope someone else steps up and posts their photos as these are the only posts I now read.

Thank you!

I'm a Methodist. It was something my wife and I got into in our travels across Texas. There's invariably a First Methodist or First Baptist in most towns in Texas. So, we'd make the effort to find each one in our travels. When we went to Montana and back we found the same where ever we went. We renewed our vows on our 25th wedding anniversary in Stevensville United Methodist Church on this very trip. She thought it was random, but I had planned it all out. I sure do miss her!

Last edited:
I'm a Methodist. It was something my wife and I got into in our travels across Texas. There's invariably a First Methodist or First Baptist in most towns in Texas. So, we'd make the effort to find each one in our travels. When we went to Montana and back we found the same where ever we went. We renewed our vows on our 25th wedding anniversary in Stevensville United Methodist Church on this very trip. She thought it was random, but I had planned it all out. I sure do miss her!

You my fine sir,

Kick ass.

Hey Jazz: Great to catch up. Yeah, Milt was a great guy for letting me come back. And just for plain making football fun. However, sadly, I spent much of the summer of 74 horking down cheeseburgers and fries and chilidogs and malts at Mac’s, and Milt had moved on, so that summer I ended up quitting AGAIN in a pile of puke and shame. I weighed about 255 then. ... Congrats on the weight loss. I’ve basically run 10-15 miles a week from late 70s (Fat and stupid is no way to get, uh, dates in college) until my knees started to feel like toothaches last year. Now retired from newspapers (thank the Lord) and walking the 10,000 steps a day. Weigh about 195. … This Covid stuff sucks, huh? Just when I started to figure out I could leave town without dying, we got hit with a bunch of tax/storm damage/home repair stuff and then my wife got a new knee. So I haven’t made it down to see the grandkids in months. Take care. Good to hear from you. Great story about Sid. He always was a ladies’ man.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
He was. CB&Q, then BN, from 1938 to 1980. (He kept his seniority after going to war)
That’s what I thought. I spent a lot of time on West 1st. This will take you back, remember L club above garage? Last time I saw you was at a party on Norris Ave when Russ and Diane came home early. As a hint my last name is the same as your first name.

Reactions: gomerxx
That’s what I thought. I spent a lot of time on West 1st. This will take you back, remember L club above garage? Last time I saw you was at a party on Norris Ave when Russ and Diane came home early. As a hint my last name is the same as your first name.

Did you graduate in '72? First name begins with a D? Played football for Uncle Milty?

ADVERTISEMENT