ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A Drive Through Western Nebraska - Pt 6 North Platte

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
This is Part 6 in my journey through western Nebraska, the drive from Ogallala to North Platte. I've only got one pic while driving. I would guess that it is a controlled burn, but I suppose that a train could have ignited some dry grass. Probably a controlled burn. Maybe some of the locals can tell me what I'm seeing.

North Platte is different than the other towns I've been through on this journey. Probably due to the fact that it is the most populous city on our route and more industrial. I texted Sparky as I left Ogallala. I was looking for somewhere to buy his world famous Sparky's Sauce™. After all, it's not often that I'm in the state of Nebraska. Carpe diem! Well, Sparky calls me back as I'm walking around North Platte taking pictures. You would think that his product would be in a local grocery store. Nope. He gave me the address to a local HVAC business. After I finished with downtown, I stopped by the business right before they closed. I was able to get a bottle of each kind. One regular and one hot. Yay!
pQZ6QaY.png

MBb6e7yl.jpg

Yc6Ai17l.jpg

NUf3QJbl.jpg

Z5w2aSCl.jpg

t4QRJIDl.jpg
a8Y3AWrl.jpg

V6om51jl.jpg

iZve5THl.jpg

ma7kHOEl.jpg

xkvGyj5l.jpg

jhsLN5el.jpg

zQZQS1sl.jpg

zV1jLGQl.jpg

h7Wkmfdl.jpg

fh1lFgWl.jpg

BcLdThhl.jpg

hlil96rl.jpg

XVUHKoyl.jpg

t73Vo8Ll.jpg

WHUEnael.jpg

8oZW2vil.jpg

TuNc6hWl.jpg

mYlyTntl.jpg

tEazLiGl.jpg

GIP0j7bl.jpg

q83JgJml.jpg

WMWtuoXl.jpg

xzFEoE1l.jpg

wToOxyJl.jpg

RKbITJPl.jpg

7nEM7Ofl.jpg

KwakWs7l.jpg

l23r4HSl.jpg

PwaiVFCl.jpg

Gt1I5hEl.jpg

NXWycsDl.jpg

hL4NYt5l.jpg

ohfVBjYl.jpg

STuknF9l.jpg

Sdn9SxBl.jpg

ld8QEYwl.jpg

vzI62dbl.jpg

WeWiTSGl.jpg

3nyUnU7l.jpg

XmhJ2yxl.jpg

0lrcyg1l.jpg

RXl0Smsl.jpg

0rq1QN8l.jpg

TDj4sJRl.jpg

aQjWTKtl.jpg

UnGEi6yl.jpg

vhGBKh7l.jpg

tgkPkNml.jpg

h6cQQ5Bl.jpg

9DqkQywl.jpg

BGLSV7Gl.jpg

JPV9Sqtl.jpg

LCIokmNl.jpg

lVry5BMl.jpg

WRzzo7pl.jpg

usfm386l.jpg

Last edited:
A reminder for folks asking me if I've been somewhere or suggesting that I go somewhere in particular, this is in the past. May 24, 2018. What you see is what you get!
yQaqdhd.gif

Good stuff! The UP rail yards are a major part of the underlying economy of North Platte, as well as the travel industry associated with I-80, and agricultural activities in the region. Lived and worked there during 1980-83, and look back on that experience fondly.

As always, thanks for the great pictures! The only thing I know about North Platte is the location of the Starbucks as it's one of the few stops I make when driving east to west (or vice versa)on I80. When I drove to Omaha this summer I heard someone call my name in the Starbucks parking lot and ran into an Omaha friend of mine. I couldn't believe it!

The HUB Bar!!! I lived above it during the 1970's. It only had one bathroom upstairs for all tenants to share. I had to get up early to be the first one in. Plus it only had a tub, no shower. I only paid $40 a month so I shouldn't complain. I parked my car directly south of the bar and I had 48 plates on.
One time a local wanted to fight me because I was from McCook.
I also worked at Tagge's Family restaurant as a dishwasher, a bowling alley south of I-80 and at a lumber yard south of the tracks next to the viaduct.
Mid-Plains Voc-Tech trained me well and as a result I have built over 100 homes in Nebraska and Texas.
North Platte was a special place for me to grow up and become a man. Thanks so much for posting these pictures.

Love the architecture of the smaller older buildings. Small town business districts are pretty cool in that way.

Reactions: bigboxes
There are a lot of interesting things to see in small town Nebraska. I will be overnighting in North Platte this coming Friday on my way to Estes Park and points on to the west and northwest of there.

Reactions: bigboxes
As always, thanks for the great pictures! The only thing I know about North Platte is the location of the Starbucks as it's one of the few stops I make when driving east to west (or vice versa)on I80. When I drove to Omaha this summer I heard someone call my name in the Starbucks parking lot and ran into an Omaha friend of mine. I couldn't believe it!

Last time I was there I went inside to get me some java and there was a DD bimbo in a fishnet see thru top and no bra.....so I pretty much have to go in everytime now when I get close. Just in case.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Last time I was there I went inside to get me some java and there was a DD bimbo in a fishnet see thru top and no bra.....so I pretty much have to go in everytime now when I get close. Just in case.

I reckon North Platte isn't that far out of the way of a trip to pick up a Coke or an ice cream. If I were to throw in a bottle of have sanitizer I could really justify it. You know, just being safe and all..

ADVERTISEMENT