ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A/C units

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Thinking about replacing my 16 year old Rheem does anyone have any suggestions about A/C units..

Good or Bad I would like to hear any positive or negative issues with certain brands..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Thinking about replacing my 16 year old Rheem does anyone have any suggestions about A/C units..

Good or Bad I would like to hear any positive or negative issues with certain brands..
I would stick with Rheem, still a very high quality A/C unit. American Standard, Carrier solid as well. A cheaper but very good unit is Goodman. Is your current system not working well anymore, or are you just looking for a newer, more efficient one?

Reactions: cidsports and tpmcg
I would stick with Rheem, still a very high quality A/C unit. American Standard, Carrier solid as well. A cheaper but very good unit is Goodman. Is your current system not working well anymore, or are you just looking for a newer, more efficient one?

Looking to replace the old one.. Figured I’ll have to bite the bullet sometime and I don’t want it to conch out on me when it’s 94 and humid..

Ruud is basically the same as Rheem from what this one estimate guy told me and he sells ruud’s not Rheem’s..

Also looking into a Trane

My personal preference is towards Carrier and Trane, but to be honest pretty much every manufacturer is making good equipment now. It's not like it was in the 90s.

Reactions: scarletred
By the responses, how many of you leave in apartments and can’t afford a house?

Looking to replace the old one.. Figured I’ll have to bite the bullet sometime and I don’t want it to conch out on me when it’s 94 and humid..

Ruud is basically the same as Rheem from what this one estimate guy told me and he sells ruud’s not Rheem’s..

Also looking into a Trane
Back in the 80s I was told ruud and Rheem were owned by the same company and sold through different dealers much the same as general motors with Chevy AND GMC. Basically the same but one is/might be better. But I forget which one was which and take in mind that was back in the 80s

Back in the 80s I was told ruud and Rheem were owned by the same company and sold through different dealers much the same as general motors with Chevy AND GMC. Basically the same but one is/might be better. But I forget which one was which and take in mind that was back in the 80s

Today they are the same and your right who ever the owner of the company prefers to sale one over the other..

They had 4 or 5 names that they put on the same equipment. The same thing went for Amana/Goodman/Heil for quite a long time and some of them sold the rights to branding back and forth. It was weird. It isn't exactly the same now, but you still have Carrier that also produces Payne, and American Standard that produces Trane. It's all the same stuff, but they just throw a different sticker on it. Lennox has an off-brand too but I can't remember the name of it.

They had 4 or 5 names that they put on the same equipment. The same thing went for Amana/Goodman/Heil for quite a long time and some of them sold the rights to branding back and forth. It was weird. It isn't exactly the same now, but you still have Carrier that also produces Payne, and American Standard that produces Trane. It's all the same stuff, but they just throw a different sticker on it. Lennox has an off-brand too but I can't remember the name of it.

Explains why Trane is more expensive compared to Rudd or Rheem if they have America Standard produce their A/C..

I have a Carrier that was installed 4-5 yrs at the home prior to being purchased, and I love it!

Last edited:
Pretty much all the same. Shop around and find an installer you trust/like. I went with the smaller guy who's been around forever instead of the big outfit with the slick marketing brochures and salesmanship.

I’ve heard Fred’s heating and cooling is very good outfit and very dependable if you have any problems..

Explains why Trane is more expensive compared to Rudd or Rheem if they have America Standard produce their A/C..
American Standard is actually the higher priced label for Trane. I don't know who makes Ruud equipment at this point, but at one point Bryant had it. Now Bryant is a part of Carrier, so maybe those are all part of the same brand. It's so weird how they sell these things back and forth.

I've had a Trane for approximately 10 years. It works great and I've had no issues at all with it.
I love my Trane unit, went with a new single stage 4 years ago. Only thing is that it's hard to clean those spine coils. Have any good suggestions on how you clean those?
I usually end up renting a torch and burning all of the cotton off of it that I can, then using a coil cleaner to get the rest. It's time consuming to go rent the propane torch but it ends up looking new

Replaced a 31 y/o Carrier kast year cause I figured I was pushung my luck .... went Amana. Works fine but doesn't do anything my 31 y/o Carrier didn't already do.

Been in the hvac business for almost 25 yrs. One thing for sure is the equipment is only as good as the installation. Make sure you get someone reputable and is willing to do a load calc on your house and a commissioning report after the installation showing it meets the equipment parameters. Also have them give you a copy of the AHRI certificate as well.

Something to ponder as well. The manufacturers are in the process of changing equipment design and performance due to government refrigerant regulations and most if not all are going to A2L refrigerants which are slightly flammable. We have a couple of years before it goes into effect so if you're thinking of changing systems now may be the time to do it if you have any concerns regarding the new refrigerants. Though they have been used in other countries for years.

If you want to spend money then Trane is the way to go, if not, go with Goodman. Most importantly make sure the installation guy knows his stuff.

Had a Trane for 20 years and will never do that again. Condensors are typically made in China and are a POS. Replace four of them. Got a h/s buddy who has a Master's HVAC license and he recently replaced the Trane with a unit made side-byside with Carrier on the assembly line, but is cheaper(Armstrong?). It's only been in for 8 months so I can't speak for its longevity, but I know I'll sh!t on a Trane before buying one again.

Had a Trane for 20 years and will never do that again. Condensors are typically made in China and are a POS. Replace four of them. Got a h/s buddy who has a Master's HVAC license and he recently replaced the Trane with a unit made side-byside with Carrier on the assembly line, but is cheaper(Armstrong?). It's only been in for 8 months so I can't speak for its longevity, but I know I'll sh!t on a Trane before buying one again.
If you had it for 20 years I’d you got your money worth..
Most units don’t last 20 years for Pete”s sake..

Where do you live that your running your a A/C the last 8 months in the winter and fall..

I love my Trane unit, went with a new single stage 4 years ago. Only thing is that it's hard to clean those spine coils. Have any good suggestions on how you clean those?
I usually end up renting a torch and burning all of the cotton off of it that I can, then using a coil cleaner to get the rest. It's time consuming to go rent the propane torch but it ends up looking new
Get a couple of cans of foaming carpet cleaner, douse the thing up with it, then hose it down about a half hour later.

Reactions: BroskiRed
If you had it for 20 years I’d you got your money worth..
Most units don’t last 20 years for Pete”s sake..

Where do you live that your running your a A/C the last 8 months in the winter and fall..
Should have noted that the entire friggin unit was replaced under warranty within two years (new construction>>heat pump, curse you, OPPD). Then like clockwork the damned condensing units were replaced every three or four years.

Should have noted that the entire friggin unit was replaced under warranty within two years (new construction>>heat pump, curse you, OPPD). Then like clockwork the damned condensing units were replaced every three or four years.

I will not be getting a heat pump.. Don’t believe in them.. too me it waste of money..

Reactions: Laner2 and BigO4WYO

Had a furnace fire a while back. Goodman replaced old Rheem. Agree with above recommendations, as well.

We recently replaced our furnace and A/C, went with Trane as that is what our trusted HVAC company sells. They actually came in under what I had budgeted based on some online research, and we've been very happy.

As long as you can afford it and your furnace isn't almost new, would probably be worth it to replace the furnace and A/C together. Matched systems tend to be more efficient and just work better overall. If your furnace is new, might not be a bad idea to match brands.

My business deals exclusively with Rheem.

IMO, the install is the most important factor. A shi**y brand, great install > A great brand, shi**y install.

Are you saying that Goodman is a better buy?
I had a Goodman heating unit.. biggest POS.. I had to buy new motherboards for it off Amazon every 3 years. Maybe not the same as the AC units, but I think that company's products are absolute junk.

My business deals exclusively with Rheem.

IMO, the install is the most important factor. A shi**y brand, great install > A great brand, shi**y install.

My understanding is that if you install a Trane you go through some course to be certified to install their product...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT