ADVERTISEMENT

OT-4k tv opinions....

Sports wise until they start showing games in 4K ( cameras) your not going to notice the difference that you want when purchasing one....I'd wait a bit for them to come down in price too.

4K is overkill at this point due to the lack of 4k content out there. I'm not switching to a 4K set until 4K is standard for streaming services and new Blu-Rays.

Reactions: blackbones
I have one but would be lying if I said I can see a difference, nothing like the difference between SD and HD. I'm anxious to see if 4k blu-rays will be noticeably better. I have Amazon Prime but bandwidth often means 4k content is in 1080 but even when in 4k, I don't see a difference.

4K is overkill at this point due to the lack of 4k content out there. I'm not switching to a 4K set until 4K is standard for streaming services and new Blu-Rays.

Me too... What the hell and I'm going to do with my 55 LED Samsung when they do.

I have one but would be lying if I said I can see a difference, nothing like the difference between SD and HD. I'm anxious to see if 4k blu-rays will be noticeably better. I have Amazon Prime but bandwidth often means 4k content is in 1080 but even when in 4k, I don't see a difference.

Yeah, the effects will be more subtle. The newer 4K models will likely have the TV companies' best internals. Couple that with the better color representation found in 4K video and we'll see a more subtle improvement over an older set.

But like you said, the jump from 720/1080p to 4K won't be as noticeable as the jump from 480i to 720/1080p was to your average viewer.

Side note, my parents can't tell the difference between SD and HD

Me too... What the hell and I'm going to do with my 55 LED Samsung when they do.

I think we have a few more years before a change is warranted. Heck, most HDTV channels are still broadcasted in 720. I would like to see the biggest games (national championships, Super Bowl, etc.) in 4k someday.

Reactions: huxsker
Wait for the prices to come down as the content becomes available. Then, 4K OLED. Looks damn nice.

Also until gigabit internet is widely available streaming of true 4k will be iffy.

What kind of time frame we talking about?
I know there was a news article about gigabit coming to Lincoln. Believe entire city to have it by 2019 IIRC. No mention of price though. With gigabit would definitely want a bad ass AC router etc.

Thinking of upgrading from 55 inch LED to 65 inch 4k. Are they that much better? Better picture? What else? Opinions ....??
I'm hearing a lot of posters that don't have 4K TVs tell you that they are not worth it. I currently have both a 55" Samsung 4K and a 65" Samsung 4K and everyone that comes to our house and watches TV comments on how amazing the picture is. It takes a little tweeking but the picture even on non 4K programming is so superior to anything we have ever had that its amazing. As reference we previously had high end Mitsubishi and Panasonic plasma televisions.

You sound like the only one who sees a significant difference. I am looking for a 55, and was going to get a 4k, but based on what I'm hearing, I may just go standard HD and wait a few years (and save several hundred bucks)

Go at least 65" for 4k television. HDR (high dynamic range) is even a bigger deal than the 4k resolution. Don't get me wrong, 4k content looks amazing on my 4k tv, but watching material graded in HDR is even a step higher in quality. Amazon Prime has a couple of shows (original programming and some movies) you can watch in HDR right now (need a 4k television that is capable of higher nits). If you're looking to stream 4k content, I'd suggest getting a download speed of 25mbps minimum. Netflix, Ultraflix, M-Go, and Amazon Prime are a few of the options where you can watch 4k programming. 4k Blu rays should be showing up around February or March of this year.

I'm hearing a lot of posters that don't have 4K TVs tell you that they are not worth it. I currently have both a 55" Samsung 4K and a 65" Samsung 4K and everyone that comes to our house and watches TV comments on how amazing the picture is. It takes a little tweeking but the picture even on non 4K programming is so superior to anything we have ever had that its amazing. As reference we previously had high end Mitsubishi and Panasonic plasma televisions.
What kind of tweaking? Thanks for the input.

What kind of tweaking? Thanks for the input.
Out of the box the picture was good but not great. In fact we were really disappointed with our 65" 4K straight out of the box. Wife got on the Internet and found a site listing some experts ideal picture settings for our set and it made a world of difference. Picture went from pretty mediocre to outstanding. Took her about 10 minutes and a little trial and error but like I said.....a world of difference.

I wouldn't worry about 4k as there isn't currently enough content to get a tv just for the sake of having a 4k tv.

If you want the best picture available though, get a flat OLED.

Wife got on the Internet and found a site listing some experts ideal picture settings for our set and it made a world of difference. Picture went from pretty mediocre to outstanding. Took her about 10 minutes and a little trial and error but like I said.....a world of difference.

Am I understanding correctly that your wife fine tuned your 4K TV? Were you sitting there watching?

If so, please turn in your man card at the front door on the way out... Winking

wait............................Dolby Vision is right around the corner;)[/
Am I understanding correctly that your wife fine tuned your 4K TV? Were you sitting there watching?

If so, please turn in your man card at the front door on the way out... Winking
I know right? When it comes to technology I'm a complete embarrassment. Fortunately my wife is a Tech genius so I let her borrow my man card when tech solutions are required.

there is a chart out there that explains at what distance you will notice the change in resolution, it's pretty shocking actually. Most people could get away with 720p at their viewing distance & screen size.

found it, here you go
optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

Streaming and digital/hard copy are really the only content for the next 3-4 years that will have much 4k. Cable/Satellite rely on the broadcast companies and what they send out which is currently 0% 4k and as of December '15 the plans were 2019-2020 for broadcast in 4k.

I have plasma's for all my TV's tuned to 720. I have a Galaxy S3 I have no plans on changing as I am still learning about all it's features. My 16 y/o daughter once asked me to do something on my calendar for a reminder and I said "I don't have the calendar app", everyone is still giving me grief over that one. I cancelled my Facebook account when 7 people wanted to be my "friend". Seriously, who needs 7 whole friends?

I don't have a 4K but am thinking about acquiring one too. Asked around, heard some feedback like:
-Actually have to shut off the 4K feature on old sitcom's/movies (makes the sets look too fake)
-Content shortage (addressed above)
-Sports look amazing (even if it's not a 4K stream)

GBR

I watched some movie on a friend's friend's set. The picture quality was amazing, but it was a bit distracting. You could really see clearly everything going on in the background and everything just looked kind of fake. I imagine it's something you would get used to and appreciate the picture more.

-Actually have to shut off the 4K feature on old sitcom's/movies (makes the sets look too fake)

GBR

4k is the native resolution of the tv. There is no way to turn this off. No matter what signal you feed it (480i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p), the television will be showing an upscaled picture for all material not shot in 4k.

4k is the native resolution of the tv. There is no way to turn this off. No matter what signal you feed it (480i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p), the television will be showing an upscaled picture for all material not shot in 4k.
Correct. If you can't see the difference between 4K and 1080p then not sure what to tell you. I have a 65" Samsung 4K and its sweet. Watched Narcos on it and it was amazing. 4K then 8K. That's where we're headed. Not sure why you would want to invest in anything but a 4K now. It would be like getting a vcr/dvd combo player when blu ray is the way to go.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
If you are going to upgrade tvs right now regardless then get a 4k. If you are just wanting to upgrade to 4k to have it I'd say wait till holiday 2016. I switched to 4k as my tv was dying and 4k is great but they are just coming out with players in march and I'm guessing more non streaming content will trickle in throughout the year so if you can wait till prices drop and more content comes out do it. If not def still get a 4k it's pretty nice.

from everything i have read, it sounds like 2016 will be the year of the 4k---in other words, more and more 4k will be available. so, if you are in the market for a new tv, i would definitely consider going 4k---if your budget allows it---i imagine you will see some drop in $ as 2016 goes by.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeartMan
from everything i have read, it sounds like 2016 will be the year of the 4k---in other words, more and more 4k will be available. so, if you are in the market for a new tv, i would definitely consider going 4k---if your budget allows it---i imagine you will see some drop in $ as 2016 goes by.

Better hurry, I saw LG just announced an 8K TV...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT