ADVERTISEMENT

OT 46 years ago today

The Tornado of 1975. I lived in South Omaha, so no damage, but we could see the nasty funnel. I always liked the pictures of the people in the stands at Aksarben waiting for racing to resume with the tornado bearing down on them.
Broke the 5 minute mile that day in dual meet against Lincoln high in Lincoln running track for Millard high..

Remember how hot and humid it was that afternoon...

It was my wife's 1st birthday. Her Dad was in the Guard and got called in and missed the party.

Reactions: huskerfan66
The Tornado of 1975. I lived in South Omaha, so no damage, but we could see the nasty funnel. I always liked the pictures of the people in the stands at Aksarben waiting for racing to resume with the tornado bearing down on them.
I recall it so well. Had just gotten back to Nebraska from my first year of college out of state. Was playing basketball outside in Lincoln and could see strange cloud formations toward Omaha. Turns out the twisters missed family members' homes in Westgate by less than a block. I spent most of the next week at Prep (from where I'd graduated the previous year) helping with cleanup. Incredible destruction; amazing that more people did not die.

Reactions: GaRed
we traveled back from salt lake later that summer, so i remember seeing the dude's house on 84th? with just the stairway to the basement left on the first floor.
i think he lived in it waiting for it to be restored.
i was impressed.

Remember it well. Our house escaped damage but ended up with pieces of Prep's roof on our lawn. Got out of Westside to help with clean up. National Guard helicopter flying over at night to prevent looting.

ADVERTISEMENT