ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 30th Anniversary of Desert Storm/Desert Shield

I went from Operation Just Cause or as we referred to it Just Cuz in December to Operation Desert Shield almost 8 mos later in Aug 1990 then Desert Storm/Desert Sabre 17 January1991 - 24 February 1991 24-28 February 1991 Operation Desert Sabre

Last edited:
Man, has it really been that long ago? Stationed on USS ORION a sub tender based in Sardinia. Didn't get see much action at all, one of the big reason is that sub tender was vintage ww2 ship. We were more like a floating dry dock for submarines.

I was on a supply ship, but we were part of the task force. That's why I was able to get pics of all those ships. We would pull up to them underway. I know we stopped in La Maddalena at some point.

I went from Operation Just Cause or as we referred to it Just Cuz in December to Operation Desert Shield almost 8 mos later in Aug 1990 then Desert Storm/Desert Sabre 17 January1991 - 24 February 1991 24-28 February 1991 Operation Desert Sabre
Just_Cause_3_cover_art.jpg

I was just watching battle summary videos of Desert Storm on YouTube today. Pretty amazing stuff the way it all came together and what an overwhelming force the coalition had.

I had no idea the naval action that went on sinking the Iraqi navy. Sounded about like the US Navy and Royal Navy taking turns sinking ships with the latest in guided anti-ship weapons.

Big contrast from the Battle of Midway recaps I was watching Monday.

My brother was in Turkey with USAF during Desert Storm.

Reactions: bigboxes
My father and I owned a body shop at the time and we'd listen to daily war reports on the radio while we worked on wrecked cars then ate lunch in a room we had built over the office and litened to Paul Harvey Rest Of The Story....hard to believe it's been that long ago...and thanks for your service!!!

Reactions: tpmcg and bigboxes
i was visiting jacksonville when iraq invaded kuwait and we watched supply plane after supply plane taking off and heading out of the naval base while boating on the st johns river one afternoon and it was apparent we were not sitting this one out.

I never knew they flew B52s round trip from Louisiana to be part of the opening bombing campaign. Something like 36+ hours of flight time.

Seems like a big "because we can" moment in warfare if ever there was one. You'd think they would park them somewhere closer but nope.

Reactions: bigboxes
If I've learned anything from American Cinema its that Marines were really bored during Desert Storm:

1x8uEJ.gif

I was on a supply ship, but we were part of the task force. That's why I was able to get pics of all those ships. We would pull up to them underway. I know we stopped in La Maddalena at some point.
I was stationed for two years. I had great time traveling Europe on uncle Sam's dime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT