ADVERTISEMENT

OT - ‘98 harley fatboy

buffbills78

Walk On
Dec 7, 2017
Papillion
Very low mileage (4900ish) and about the last year of the EVO engine, anybody have any experience with the EVO? Had a 99 with the 88 and wasn’t super impressed. Thanks!

Very low mileage (4900ish) and about the last year of the EVO engine, anybody have any experience with the EVO? Had a 99 with the 88 and wasn’t super impressed. Thanks!
What would you like to know? I have over 200K on my Evo I bought new in 1993 (Heritage FLSTC). The stock motor needs a high flow carb, pipes and cam to run right. Screamin Eagle heads (or other after aftermarket ported heads with high lift valves) and a high lift cam make the motor fairly zippy. The motor was more or less reliable except I blew a head gasket at around 60K and again at 120K. At around 180K it wouldn't go but a couple hundred miles without blowing the rear head gasket. The bolt holes in the case had developed spider cracks and wouldn't hold the head bolt studs. I changed out the case and have been good since. The tranny, which is technically not part of the "Evo motor" went to pieces at around 160K. A tranny case bearing failed and the metal chewed up the tranny innards. I bought a Rev Tech 6-speed. Wished I had done it years ago because the motor purrs in 6th gear even at 80 MPH.

Reactions: buffbills78
What would you like to know? I have over 200K on my Evo I bought new in 1993 (Heritage FLSTC). The stock motor needs a high flow carb, pipes and cam to run right. Screamin Eagle heads (or other after aftermarket ported heads with high lift valves) and a high lift cam make the motor fairly zippy. The motor was more or less reliable except I blew a head gasket at around 60K and again at 120K. At around 180K it wouldn't go but a couple hundred miles without blowing the rear head gasket. The bolt holes in the case had developed spider cracks and wouldn't hold the head bolt studs. I changed out the case and have been good since. The tranny, which is technically not part of the "Evo motor" went to pieces at around 160K. A tranny case bearing failed and the metal chewed up the tranny innards. I bought a Rev Tech 6-speed. Wished I had done it years ago because the motor purrs in 6th gear even at 80 MPH.

everything I’ve read is that this motor is legendary and basically saved HD. I bought the bike last Tuesday and it’s currently in the shop getting a once over and some new tires. Wish the rear swing arm would hold a bigger tire but the 160 will do. I paid $4500 for it from the original owner. Feel like I got a pretty good deal. It was certainly zippier than the 88 I had that’s for damn sure. Thank you for the suggestions I’ll certainly look into those add ons. Sounds like I’ll have this bike for the rest of my life. Appreciate the response!

everything I’ve read is that this motor is legendary and basically saved HD. I bought the bike last Tuesday and it’s currently in the shop getting a once over and some new tires. Wish the rear swing arm would hold a bigger tire but the 160 will do. I paid $4500 for it from the original owner. Feel like I got a pretty good deal. It was certainly zippier than the 88 I had that’s for damn sure. Thank you for the suggestions I’ll certainly look into those add ons. Sounds like I’ll have this bike for the rest of my life. Appreciate the response!
Sounds like a good deal. If it was always garaged, 5K on a Harley is nothing, like a brand new bike. If it is zippier than the 88, I suspect the previous owner may have done some motor work, at least a cam. If you can talk to him, you might ask what was done. One more thing. If you ever do any motor work investing $120 on adjustable pushrods is a must. The stock pushrods go down in the holes and then the rocket arm plate goes on and the rest of the top end. Major pain in the behind. Much easier to assemble the entire top end, put the adjustables up from the bottom and twist them out to proper length.

Sounds like a good deal. If it was always garaged, 5K on a Harley is nothing, like a brand new bike. If it is zippier than the 88, I suspect the previous owner may have done some motor work, at least a cam. If you can talk to him, you might ask what was done. One more thing. If you ever do any motor work investing $120 on adjustable pushrods is a must. The stock pushrods go down in the holes and then the rocket arm plate goes on and the rest of the top end. Major pain in the behind. Much easier to assemble the entire top end, put the adjustables up from the bottom and twist them out to proper length.
Yeah...I would totally eff that up lol. It’s not perfect but definitely some extras. Took it to the local Harley shop and they are looking it over, they are going to let me know what I got myself into.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT