ADVERTISEMENT

OSU NIL $

Oct 12, 2016
This is from another source not mine. 50/50 on wether it's true IMO.

"
So I was in smart and final this morning across the street from mater dei high school. Some guy in front of me is decked out in osu gear. I get to talking with him and I share about Malachi selecting Oklahoma. He told me he was here at a camp for mater dei but had talked with Malachi on Friday night. He said osu had offered a guaranteed 500k plus performance bonuses if he chose osu. His thoughts were Oklahoma must have had a much better offer.
I am friends with his dad, he is a pastor friend of mine. I told the osu guy it wasn’t about the money. He said it’s always about the money. It made me think about what do we have to offer and how much our big time boosters are really ready to kick down.
Now I know Malachi chose Oklahoma because of his relationship with coach Riley. We were never in it, cuz we suck lol those are Malachi’s words not mine.
Anyway we can be at the forefront of NIL but unless we have ppl putting up the money, it don’t matter. This is why I believe we went with trev as the AD over klassy."

wow!
have dudes been getting paid like that all along and ive been naive to think its a car here or gold chain here and some 100 dollar bills to go with it...?
Well one of the reasons Ed Orgeron is “on the hot seat” is getting caught paying players, of which ~$200k alone was for a single o-lineman.

It’s amazing how many of you on here were so incredibly wrong about NIL and how it was going to impact college athletics as we knew it. Pretty sure the common saying was ‘NIL isn’t going to move the needle much’.

Martinez, whether we want to admit it or not, is a bottom half of the B10 QB and he’s going to make over $100k/year.

Alabama’s QB, who has never even started a game, is set to make over $1M/year.

Last edited:
This is probably an unpopular take, but if a kid is offered $500k to play for a team, that kid should deserve to be paid that money. Any system that stops him is unlawful and frankly the opposite of capitalism.

Of course it will suck to hear “oh Alabama outbid Nebraska to get that kid” but that’s the ultimate conclusion of a purely capitalistic system.

Will it change things as we know it? 100%. Change or become extinct.

Is there a certain dollar amount that if they pass it then they are responsible for their own tuition?
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't pay for their tuition if they're making an amount determined by the "rule makers" to do so. I think it would be fair for players that are on scholarship and make a decent amount of cash, to pitch in a bit for their education.

***EDIT***
I should have inserted an "like that is going to happen" line in my first paragraph! ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
This is probably an unpopular take, but if a kid is offered $500k to play for a team, that kid should deserve to be paid that money. Any system that stops him is unlawful and frankly the opposite of capitalism.

Of course it will suck to hear “oh Alabama outbid Nebraska to get that kid” but that’s the ultimate conclusion of a purely capitalistic system.

I have no problem paying players but it's the cheating and breaking of the rules by SEC, OU, Clemson and Ohio States. Hopefully, this erases the cheating and rule breaking.

It’s amazing how many of you on here were so incredibly wrong about NIL and how it was going to impact college athletics as we knew it. Pretty sure the common saying was ‘NIL isn’t going to move the needle much’.

Martinez, whether we want to admit it or not, is a bottom half of the B10 QB and he’s going to make over $100k/year.

Lol..it just started.

None of us know the effect.

1. I don't believe the story the OP is posting from the other site.

2. Martinez is not bottom half in the Big Ten.

3. I think Saban is speaking out of his ass. The QB from Bama has only ended up with about 100k at the moment.

"
So I was in smart and final this morning across the street from mater dei high school. Some guy in front of me is decked out in osu gear. I get to talking with him and I share about Malachi selecting Oklahoma. He told me he was here at a camp for mater dei but had talked with Malachi on Friday night. He said osu had offered a guaranteed 500k plus performance bonuses if he chose osu. His thoughts were Oklahoma must have had a much better offer.
I am friends with his dad, he is a pastor friend of mine. I told the osu guy it wasn’t about the money. He said it’s always about the money. It made me think about what do we have to offer and how much our big time boosters are really ready to kick down.
Now I know Malachi chose Oklahoma because of his relationship with coach Riley. We were never in it, cuz we suck lol those are Malachi’s words not mine.
Anyway we can be at the forefront of NIL but unless we have ppl putting up the money, it don’t matter. This is why I believe we went with trev as the AD over klassy."
Sabin talked at a Texas coaches clinic and said next year's Alabama QB is approaching 7 figures in NIL money.

3. I think Saban is speaking out of his ass. The QB from Bama has only ended up with about 100k at the moment.
That's also probably in addition to his already promised bag money. Underachiever

Where are you getting your info that the Bama qb has 100k I have heard multiple sources say close to a mil

1. It doesn’t matter if this particular story is true or not, the premise is what it is.

2. Please show me FACTS to prove otherwise. And no, a high completion percentage for passes under 3 yards does not make a good QB.

3. You should do a little more research because Saban spoke at a coaches clinic in Texas where he specifically talked about NIL and Bryce Young already earning nearly 7-figures without even playing yet.

I have no idea what anyone is making, but why wouldn’t any coach embellish how much his players are making? That’s good for recruiting

I bet the qb has a bunch of contingency offers (if you go to final four and when you do so you blow our company sales team when u are there force etc)

So why doesn't a university form a shell corporation and pay players all they want from that? The whole thing will reduce the competition to just a few teams. Ruination of college football.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
1. It doesn’t matter if this particular story is true or not, the premise is what it is.

2. Please show me FACTS to prove otherwise. And no, a high completion percentage for passes under 3 yards does not make a good QB.

3. You should do a little more research because Saban spoke at a coaches clinic in Texas where he specifically talked about NIL and Bryce Young already earning nearly 7-figures without even playing yet.
Saban is a machine, a relentless machine, always trying to gain edge for the program

I said when this NIL first started that Nebraska boosters, businesses and the school need to get 100 percent behind these players and make sure that they getting endorsements and paid! Now they dropped the ball all these years while the $EC schools and Clemson ran amuck stuffing dollars in athletes pockets "illegally"!

Now they have a chance to do it LEGALLY and they are about to get left at the alter again like 50 year old bridesmaid! They need get their heads out there asses, get in the game and in the frontlines while it's still time!

And no Adrian isn't in the top half half of the Big 10, but that doesn't mean that he can't get PAID like it! BIG BOY programs with BIG BOY coaches and AD's do BIG BOY THINGS!!

Last edited:
i enjoy watching the evolution of things like this.
but its still crazy to see it happen.
I've been talking about this with friends for the last several weeks. It's amazing to see things, like major things, change in real time. Not just meaningless sports crap but the world in general. Wild times we live in.

Do you think that the Universities involved are entitled to a portion of the athlete's NIL money?

The player is profiting true, but is using the university's image/name/uniform to do so.

I realize the University also uses player's image/name.

A University compensates athletes for this use of their likeness already with scholarships.

Thus in the spirit of free enterprise, fairness, opportunity and profit it seems to me that Universities have legitimate skin in the game because of brand and trademark property.

Go Blue!

"
Recruiting is no longer going to be about the kid. Universities need to be recruiting $$$ per starter position. Scholarships will be useless. 85 means nothing.

Hmm, I guess we remember differently. As far as I'm concerned, it was always going to be a big deal, and I got the feeling most agreed w/ me.

since college players are now pro's and not amatures, does their college tuition get taxed ?

Do you think that the Universities involved are entitled to a portion of the athlete's NIL money?

The player is profiting true, but is using the university's image/name/uniform to do so.

I realize the University also uses player's image/name.

A University compensates athletes for this use of their likeness already with scholarships.

Thus in the spirit of free enterprise, fairness, opportunity and profit it seems to me that Universities have legitimate skin in the game because of brand and trademark property.

Go Blue!
if a player damages that brand, can they be sued by the university?
the new contracts will be interesting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT