ADVERTISEMENT

OSU halts voluntary workouts

following guidelines, wearing masks, test, track, trace. done with success in lots of places. just not here.

the proof has been in the pudding.
us shutdown was casual vs rigorous in other parts of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: regionsdoc
Ha...No kidding.

The good news is...it will all be better come November! Ha

I have a friend and his sister is a Nurse Practitioner in Houston...where the hospitals are at 97%...she was like "Yeah, we are normally operating at 95%, so it isn't that big of a deal"
This shit is so false... quit being a idiot

Texas Medical Center is the largest hospital campus in the world
Normal ICU capacity if 1330. -- 615 of those ICU beds are COVID - 46%

l-Overview-Of-TMC-ICU-Bed-Capacity-And-Occupancy-7-8-2020.png

Providers and retirees around the country are getting this request for help from the Texas Medical Board

EccCCySWoAQj7Vp

Last edited:
lots we don't know and lots yet to figure out but a paper just published in Lancet from a high COVID area in Spain showed that seropositivity was no where near herd immunity levels. .. herd immunity likely won't be a reality outside of a vaccine

the accompanying commentary had this to say about the concept of herd immunity

"In light of these findings, any proposed approach to achieve herd immunity through natural infection is not only highly unethical, but also unachievable.:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31483-5/fulltext
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31482-3/fulltext

This and all the rest of governnent models and studies are only good for wiping yourself after a healthy crap... just saying

This and all the rest of governnent models and studies are only good for wiping yourself after a healthy crap... just saying

those aren’t government models ... they are scientific studies

My daughter works one of the big 4 hospitals down here too. Says the same thing. 15-18% of ICU is Covid.
I mean, hospitals are a business, they want to be as close to capacity as possible and they are built for that. I have never been in a hospital that wasn't "busy"

Reactions: bluenrg
I mean, hospitals are a business, they want to be as close to capacity as possible and they are built for that. I have never been in a hospital that wasn't "busy"

If you take Texas medical center as an example - 1330 ICU beds - normal capacity 95%

so last year at this time they were at 95% capacity

fast forward to now - they now have an additional 615 COVID pneumonia patients to find room for - you don’t see where that might be a problem?

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
If you take Texas medical center as an example - 1330 ICU beds - normal capacity 95%

so last year at this time they were at 95% capacity

fast forward to now - they now have an additional 615 COVID pneumonia patients to find room for - you don’t see where that might be a problem?

I feel like the people that were in the ICU last year are either out of it or dead.

I feel like the people that were in the ICU last year are either out of it or dead.

im sure that is satire (I certainly hope so)- when an ICU normally runs at 95% capacity it doesn’t mean the same patients are there the entire time

Last edited:
the interesting thing is it's starting to spread again, in the summer, where the virus Is supposed to spread less because heat makes it heavier and not supposed to travel as far. I would say make playing voluntary, and not many people in the stands...so you can still have games and tv money. seems like a reasonable middle ground....between asking for trouble and being a shut-in and the economy fall apart

People wont like this but the best thing to do is keep those sick home and getting treatment and just continue on. Young people are very safe from this, playing football itself is more dangerous, and they are the only hope for herd immunity, which is really what we need.
Its just the truth. You aint stopping a virus, and the virus has shown to be less dangerous than previously thought.
most ID experts already said natural herd immunity is unreachable and should not be considered an option or potential end of the virus.

Everyone is gonna die. Lock yourselves in your homes and just wait for the government to send your monthly stimulus
so why doesn't everyone just commit suicide at the age of 50? i dont think most people want to die from a preventable cause.

The economy and our way of life are equally as important. People need to work and go to school and better themselves and stay moving. People who want to shut everything down are out of touch with the reality of the consequences that go with shutting things down.
actually sweden didn't shut anything down and their economy has been hit worse than any of their neighboring countries who all shut down entirely very early and stayed shut down for a long time. so i think you might be wrong in your relationship between the economy and shutting things down. the problem with the economy is not shutting down. the problem with the economy is the virus. it is present in both scenarios

actually sweden didn't shut anything down and their economy has been hit worse than any of their neighboring countries who all shut down entirely very early and stayed shut down for a long time. so i think you might be wrong in your relationship between the economy and shutting things down. the problem with the economy is not shutting down. the problem with the economy is the virus. it is present in both scenarios

I don't really care about Sweden, and you're comparing apples to oranges between the two countries, and I am not wrong.

how about we don’t shut everything down but in return everyone wears a mask - that seems to have been effective in other countries

do you see that as a reasonable compromise?

Last edited:
how about we don’t shut everything down but in return everyone wears a mask - that seems to have been effective in other countries

I think it would work...but we still have thousands and thousands of people out in the streets protesting every single day.

I don’t think herd immunity exists from covid. Recent studies showed no anti bodies in those who recovered months ago
Antibodies have a finite life span. Normally that is a matter of weeks. When you've eliminated the virus from you system their level may taper off pretty quickly. Your longer term immunity is due largely to T cell memory. When you get exposed at a later date to the virus the T cells kick in rapidly and mount an anamnestic response to the virus. The idea that you don't have protective immunity if you don't have circulating antibodies is not necessarily correct. Cell mediated immunity (CMI) is a big deal with this virus.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
Why aren't we worried about tuberculosis? 10 million cases per year, 1.5 million deaths, highly, highly contagious
The dirty little secret is that most of it is coming across our southern border with illegal immigration. We had an outbreak in our school system a couple of years ago.

One of the all-time posts on this board was the contention that if Americans wear masks, we are succumbing to communism.

Of course masks are almost universally worn in Taiwan, a country of 24 million people that has somehow managed to limit COVID-19 cases to less than 500 and COVID-related deaths to seven. (Not a typo - 7.)

But what in tarnation would them there Taiwanese people know about opposing communism, compared to the cold warriors we have here on this board?

You do understand that vaccines typically takes six to seven years to develop right? Time to move on
Not this one. Under pressure from the administration, the CDC and FDA adapted their guidelines. Fauci says by early January there will be vaccine available. This is not a new technique and some of the leg work for this was done years ago for SARS. The main issue other than safety testing is determining the proper antigen load of the final product. This will work but this may peter out before the vaccine is widely available.

You seem knowledgeable Fritz. Are you following treatment with Budesonide, an inhaled steroid? It prevents the cytokine storm which is when this virus gets deadly for people due to inflammation. A doctor in West Texas has had good results (but a very small sample size granted) He alleges that the Taiwanese, with extensive SARS experience, use this drug which has been around for a long time and is perfectly safe, along with a very strict mask policy. Their mortality rate is extremely low for a country of 23 million.

How do you see it “petering out”. Seem we will either have to accept cases and spread or wait for a vaccine. I’m not seeing any signs this is just going to Peter out on it’s own. As for college football, it doesn’t seem like they can make up their minds, either.

most ID experts already said natural herd immunity is unreachable and should not be considered an option or potential end of the virus.
That's interesting. I haven't read a single one that believes that. One at Oxford in the UK thinks we'll be at a population immunity level of only roughly 20% and the virus will peter out. Personally I think it will probably be necessary for people to get an annual Corona vaccination in conjunction with your flu immunization.

You seem knowledgeable Fritz. Are you following treatment with Budesonide, an inhaled steroid? It prevents the cytokine storm which is when this virus gets deadly for people due to inflammation. A doctor in West Texas has had good results (but a very small sample size granted) He alleges that the Taiwanese, with extensive SARS experience, use this drug which has been around for a long time and is perfectly safe, along with a very strict mask policy. Their mortality rate is extremely low for a country of 23 million.
Millions of Americans are on Budesonide for their asthma. I haven't read any scientific articles supporting that as a treatment for COVID. I know it's often prescribed to influenza patients who are having problems with reactive airways from the inflammation caused by the virus. The administration of Dexamethasone that they're doing now would be a much more potent systemic steroid and have a multi-organ effect versus the local pulmonary effect you would get after several days of Budesonide. The inhaled steroid does tend to dry up your airways fairly quickly I believe by preventing goblet cells from releasing their mucus.

What I’m hearing; “The mean average age for new cases is 19yo. Only 10% are symptomatic.”
That 10% level I believe is for all cases. 19 year olds have a much lower rate of being symptomatic than that.

That's interesting. I haven't read a single one that believes that. One at Oxford in the UK thinks we'll be at a population immunity level of only roughly 20% and the virus will peter out. Personally I think it will probably be necessary for people to get an annual Corona vaccination in conjunction with your flu immunization.
There are some medical epidemiologists who think millions of people have some natural immunity to this due to previous exposure to other Corona viruses. That's called cross protection when that happens. One guy at Oxford University in the UK thinks that when we reach a population immunity of roughly 20% the virus will find it difficult to find new people to infect. That's what I mean by petering out. I don't know if that will happen or not. I do know that Worldometer had at one point a graphic prediction up that had this thing pretty well dying out as far as fatalities by September 1st. If you look at the curve for fatalities man it's on a pretty darned rapid decline. We were at roughly 1500 deaths per day a little over a month ago and now we're at about 300 deaths per day nationally. That's statistically VERY significant.

so why doesn't everyone just commit suicide at the age of 50? i dont think most people want to die from a preventable cause.

but it isn't preventable now is it. No matter what we do the virus still lives. It is so contagious that everyone will get it and we will all die soon. Just deal with it.

Fauci says by early January there will be vaccine available.
No he did not.

He said he was "cautiously optimistic" that a vaccine "with some degree of effectiveness" will be available in early 2021.

No he did not.

He said he was "cautiously optimistic" that a vaccine "with some degree of effectiveness" will be available in early 2021.

Fauci also said that cities in hot spots need to go back to lockdowns, then walked it back 2 hours later. He says something than retracts or revises it all the time. In January masks were bad, now they are the end all be all and the only thing keeping the virus from total infestation of all living things. Wait 20 minutes and he will change his mind

Fauci also said that cities in hot spots need to go back to lockdowns, then walked it back 2 hours later. He says something than retracts or revises it all the time. In January masks were bad, now they are the end all be all and the only thing keeping the virus from total infestation of all living things. Wait 20 minutes and he will change his mind
Fauci said masks were bad? I never heard him say that.

Fauci said masks were bad? I never heard him say that.

Straight up said it. It may have been March and not January but he said "there is no reason people in the US should wear a mask".

That leaves 2 scenarios in my eyes, he believed people in the US needed to be wearing masks, but they were in short supply and he wanted first responders and hospital employees to get the masks, so he lied. Or he truly didn't believe people needed a mask, but changed his mind later.

Straight up said it. It may have been March and not January but he said "there is no reason people in the US should wear a mask".

That leaves 2 scenarios in my eyes, he believed people in the US needed to be wearing masks, but they were in short supply and he wanted first responders and hospital employees to get the masks, so he lied. Or he truly didn't believe people needed a mask, but changed his mind later.
Sorry, that quote does not in any way imply that masks were "bad" as you originally claimed he stated.

….. which leads me to wonder which occurs more frequently: how often Fauci revises his pronouncements or how frequently people misquote or otherwise attribute false statements to him.

Sorry, that quote does not in any way imply that masks were "bad" as you originally claimed he stated.

….. which leads me to wonder which occurs more frequently: how often Fauci revises his pronouncements or how frequently people misquote or otherwise attribute false statements to him.

People who who are dismayed that scientists don’t have a novel viral disease all figured out in the 8 months or so it has existed in humans and are at all surprised that recommendations are rapidly changing don’t understand science nor do they likely have the capacity to do so

EcFshYfXkAAYXLh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT