ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon VS Frost offense

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I saw a post last night during the Oregon game that mentioned what Frosts offense will look like with talent. Implying that Frost and Oregon run similar styles of offense and Oregon offense was struggling vs Wisc. They had 200 yards offense, had the ball for almost half the time as Wisc and scored 28. . I believe 21 of those points came off turnovers. They tried those bubble screens and they failed almost every time, just like they did for us. Big10 Ds are to quick and fast to the edge. What kept Oregon in this game was their D. Frost teams have not been know for top level D to this point.
So is this correct? Will a Frost offense, with talent look like how Oregon looked last night? If so that will never cut it in the BIG.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskredO1
Oregon ran the “pistol offense” so I don’t know why anyone would be lead to believe that SF going to the pistol..

Oregon ran the “pistol offense” so I don’t know why anyone would be lead to believe that SF going to the pistol..
Isn't Pistol just another way to run Spread/ RPO offense. Don't think pistol is an offense system merely a formation within an offensive system. Just like Shot gun or under center. While Oregon uses the pistol formation, I believe they still run an RPO, spread, up tempo style offense, similar to what Frost runs. Im no expert however. So someone educate me if Im wrong.

Last edited:
I saw a post last night during the Oregon game that mentioned what Frosts offense will look like with talent. Implying that Oregon offense was struggling vs Wisc. They had 200 yards offense, had the ball for almost half the time as Wisc and scored 28. . I believe 21 of those points came off turnovers. They tried those bubble screens and they failed almost every time, just like they did for us. Big10 Ds are to quick and fast to the edge. What kept Oregon in this game was their D. Frost teams have not been know for top level D to this point.
So is this correct? Will a Frost offense, with talent look like how Oregon looked last night? If so that will never cut it in the BIG.

I don't know this as a fact but my guess is those 800,000 horizontal passes were about the only chance we had for at least 2/3 of last season. Our running game was supremely inept, our qbs all beat up....what else could we do?

My guess is that HSCF knows full well that playing in the Big10 we simply "must" be able to run the damn ball. Of course, to do that we need the vicious big uglies ready to roll. They started to come around the last 3 games or so......and they all return. We just might see very few horizontal passes next year (I hope!).

This is an example of why I hate when people constantly complain about play calling, without taking consideration of numerous other factors.

For instance, I saw many times, either here or elsewhere, where someone would complain about a terrible play call on a play that didn't work; but if you actually go back and watch the play, it was a great play call that had other factors that made it not work. Sometimes, especially early in the season, it was a bad snap that would mess up the timing of the play just enough to turn what might have been a decent gain into no gain. Sometimes it was one missed block on the perimeter that turned a quick screen pass from a big gain to a loss.

I also don't like it because you often don't know what's going on behind the running of that play. Maybe that quick screen that goes for no gain is actually an RPO play where the QB should have seen the defense had the numbers over there to stop the play, and checked off either to a different receiever, or maybe handed the ball off or run it himself. Maybe that play was just run to see how the defense would react, and you use that information to setup other plays later. Maybe, like already mentioned, the OL is just not creating holes for the run game, so you run those plays because you think you have a better chance to gain a few yards that way than running the ball.

Talking about the quick screen plays specifically; there were many times this season that either a bad snap messing up timing or a missed block (like mentioned above), or a poor throw from the QB; turned a chance for a gain into no gain, incomplete pass or a loss.

I'm also not saying there are never times to complain about play calling. Every coach, no matter how good, will make bad play calls. Maybe they get too clever, maybe they have too little confidence in their running game to get short yards, etc... I just think far too often people go to complaining about play calling when other factors are at play.

I saw a post last night during the Oregon game that mentioned what Frosts offense will look like with talent. Implying that Oregon offense was struggling vs Wisc. They had 200 yards offense, had the ball for almost half the time as Wisc and scored 28. . I believe 21 of those points came off turnovers. They tried those bubble screens and they failed almost every time, just like they did for us. Big10 Ds are to quick and fast to the edge. What kept Oregon in this game was their D. Frost teams have not been know for top level D to this point.
The two offenses are not that similar. Also, we had almost 500 yards of offense against Wisconsin this year.

Last edited:
The Oregon offense has gone thru some changes since Frost was there. Marcus Arroyo had his own variation of the Oregon spread under Taggert/Cristobal. Cristobal wanted more power running components implemented based on his time at Alabama. Moving the ball against Wisconsin has not been the issue. Slowing their running game enough get get extra possessions had been the bigger issue.

They two offenses are not that similar. Also, we had almost 500 yards of offense against Wisconsin this year.

came to post this. Not that similar. Oregon is a zone run, vertical passing offense with much more complex route running. They did add a wrinkle lately vs Utah and Wisconsin and give Herbert some read option.

Oregon finished 51st in rushing in a conf not known for smashmouth defense.
We finished 29th with a wounded qb, one true rb, etc etc.

What wrs were we throwing too? Do we have those guys yet? Oregon looked good because wiscy made sure they did. Wiscy has the fifth best defense in cfb, so, take all the preceding and change up everything except possibly wiscys defense, its worked wonders against auburn, who had a 14th ranked D when they lost to ucf.
Yes, it will get better.

Oregon offense isn't the same now as it was under Kelly/Frost. And I think the Frost offense is still evolving for the B1G.

I’ll add that Oregon is one of the more physical teams in the PAC. They are used to pushing people around and they couldn’t do that against Wisconsin. The fact that Crisbol was so determined to keep running between the tackles really hurt Oregon and all their success was found getting Wisconsin is space.

I’ll add that Oregon is one of the more physical teams in the PAC. They are used to pushing people around and they couldn’t do that against Wisconsin. The fact that Crisbol was so determined to keep running between the tackles really hurt Oregon and all their success was found getting Wisconsin is space.
Wisc was the far more dominant team. The only reason Oregon stayed in the game and eventually won is because of their defense and creating turnovers. Wisc shut down their offense for the most part, besides a few plays.

Would seem that there are a lot of flavors of Spread/RPO. Wisconsin beats teams by playing solid team D and controlling the ball on O. The Badgers won last night's game in terms of stats, nearly doubling the Ducks in TOP, but lost on the score board because of turnovers.
Seems there are two ways to win against Wisconsin: overwhelm them with talent (see tOSU) or take advantage of mistakes and hope they beat themselves.
Uptempo against the Badgers is a recipe to get behind in terms of TOP and the scoreboard. In order to win the West, NU will need to beat Wisconsin. And to do that, they will need line up and get yards running the old fashioned way. NU did that this year to a large extent. Both Mills and AMart had a decent game running the FB. Run the ball, limit the Badger's offensive possessions. Make them defend the run and then the perimeter and deep ball game opens up. Maybe figure out how to defense a kick return, or get a kid who can kick a ball out of the endzone. A better kicking game overall substantially ups NU's chances of winning a game against them. It would also help in J Taylor went to the NFL.
And if NU can beat Wisconsin, they can beat Iowa and most teams on their schedule in any given year.

^^^ This. I’d also add, the sooner Barry A. has retired, the better. If you don’t think he still has input on that culture they’ve created, than ask Gary Anderson his thoughts.

This is an example of why I hate when people constantly complain about play calling, without taking consideration of numerous other factors.

For instance, I saw many times, either here or elsewhere, where someone would complain about a terrible play call on a play that didn't work; but if you actually go back and watch the play, it was a great play call that had other factors that made it not work. Sometimes, especially early in the season, it was a bad snap that would mess up the timing of the play just enough to turn what might have been a decent gain into no gain. Sometimes it was one missed block on the perimeter that turned a quick screen pass from a big gain to a loss.

I also don't like it because you often don't know what's going on behind the running of that play. Maybe that quick screen that goes for no gain is actually an RPO play where the QB should have seen the defense had the numbers over there to stop the play, and checked off either to a different receiever, or maybe handed the ball off or run it himself. Maybe that play was just run to see how the defense would react, and you use that information to setup other plays later. Maybe, like already mentioned, the OL is just not creating holes for the run game, so you run those plays because you think you have a better chance to gain a few yards that way than running the ball.

Talking about the quick screen plays specifically; there were many times this season that either a bad snap messing up timing or a missed block (like mentioned above), or a poor throw from the QB; turned a chance for a gain into no gain, incomplete pass or a loss.

I'm also not saying there are never times to complain about play calling. Every coach, no matter how good, will make bad play calls. Maybe they get too clever, maybe they have too little confidence in their running game to get short yards, etc... I just think far too often people go to complaining about play calling when other factors are at play.
#4 paragraph very true. Was talking with a buddy of mine this morning about or lack of ability to successfully run screen pass. VERY little touch put on those balls.

One thing that I noticed Minn QB, and a couple others yesterday do quite well, on zone read they really followed through with the pass fake to freeze lbs and dbs. Don't recall AM doing that much. Am I mistakenly remembering this incorrectly?

Would seem that there are a lot of flavors of Spread/RPO. Wisconsin beats teams by playing solid team D and controlling the ball on O. The Badgers won last night's game in terms of stats, nearly doubling the Ducks in TOP, but lost on the score board because of turnovers.
Seems there are two ways to win against Wisconsin: overwhelm them with talent (see tOSU) or take advantage of mistakes and hope they beat themselves.
Uptempo against the Badgers is a recipe to get behind in terms of TOP and the scoreboard. In order to win the West, NU will need to beat Wisconsin. And to do that, they will need line up and get yards running the old fashioned way. NU did that this year to a large extent. Both Mills and AMart had a decent game running the FB. Run the ball, limit the Badger's offensive possessions. Make them defend the run and then the perimeter and deep ball game opens up. Maybe figure out how to defense a kick return, or get a kid who can kick a ball out of the endzone. A better kicking game overall substantially ups NU's chances of winning a game against them. It would also help in J Taylor went to the NFL.
And if NU can beat Wisconsin, they can beat Iowa and most teams on their schedule in any given year.
Good post. I think Frost is realizing he is going to have to adjust his system a bit. Less swing passes, short yardage, uptempo. More power run game, deep passes, grind it out. That style of play works well in conferences like the PAC12 and AAC where D is usually an after thought. (Except Oregon this year) In those leagues it is about figuring out how to outscore your opponents and creating turnovers to score even more. In the BIG it is too D oriented to be able to out score your opponent consistently.
Also agree that Wisc will be our only threat going forward. Wisc will do what they do, until BA retires. At that point I see them falling off. As far as the rest of the West, just look at how bad we have been and we still have been right on par with all other teams in the West. MN will be a wild card. Are they the real deal under Fleck, or was this a fluke year? Also if Fleck is the real deal, how long does he stay in MN. They aren't exactly a destination school for top level coaches.

Good post. I think Frost is realizing he is going to have to adjust his system a bit. Less swing passes, short yardage, uptempo. More power run game, deep passes, grind it out. That style of play works well in conferences like the PAC12 and AAC where D is usually an after thought. (Except Oregon this year) In those leagues it is about figuring out how to outscore your opponents and creating turnovers to score even more. In the BIG it is too D oriented to be able to out score your opponent consistently.
Also agree that Wisc will be our only threat going forward. Wisc will do what they do, until BA retires. At that point I see them falling off. As far as the rest of the West, just look at how bad we have been and we still have been right on par with all other teams in the West. MN will be a wild card. Are they the real deal under Fleck, or was this a fluke year? Also if Fleck is the real deal, how long does he stay in MN. They aren't exactly a destination school for top level coaches.

Minnesota is a good team. That OL is amazing. They do lose some studs but I think they'll be good with Fleck. They can run the ball, they have good WRs and they play enough D to be competitive.

Reactions: husker2612
The only teams that outrushed NU this year from the B1G were tOSU and Wisc. The Oline gelled in the back half of the season and Mills got going. But the West is getting more competitive. MN, Iowa and Wiscy will be tough games, Purdue has talent on offense and Lovie's boys will not be a pushover. MN, Iowa and the Badgers were in the top 25 in time of possession. Nebraska? 92.
Nebraska's rushing stats were good, but contained a fair number of "pop" runs that didn't yield any points. The biggest thing that could help in terms of D would be for the O to extend drives, limit mistakes and get the ball in the endzone.
Hopefully there will be competition on the Oline and that group can get their act together Game 1. And pray to the deity of you choice that Mills stays healthy for the balance of the season and that a couple of young backs emerge to platoon RB with Dedrick.

^^^ This. I’d also add, the sooner Barry A. has retired, the better. If you don’t think he still has input on that culture they’ve created, than ask Gary Anderson his thoughts.

The better for whom? Nebraska?

When wiscy loses BA, its only a matter of time to see changes away from his steadying hand.
Unless they go more the way of iowa, I see two things happening, one, it'll be a huge transition for them something they and iowa haven't a clue about, and they have to nail their trasition.

Same for iowa, to a lesser extent.

Reactions: HuskerPam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT