ADVERTISEMENT

OPS no fall sports

And had she made the “difficult decision” of letting sports get played? She is only a good leader because you agree with the decision.
As I said earlier, I do not agree with this decision. But I do think it was a tough call.

High school football in the states of WA and CA will be played in spring.

(Excuse me if this has already been mentioned. I got tired of reading all the arguing about education from folks who may or may not know what they are talking about.)

Reactions: Yossarian23
hey, mr know-it-all, you might want to read this before once again plowing ahead with agenda-based assumptions, this time about the lack of rise in suicides due to covid response:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1472694/shadow-deaths-of-the-virus.html

NM has reported a nearly equal rise in suicides as deaths from covid.

extremely sad to just wave a hand at this, calling it bunk, because those you worship haven't told you it's so.
i read that whole article. nowhere does it say suicides exceed covid deaths. in fact, it doesn't even put a number on the suicides. it speculates there are a variety of guesses for the rise in unexplained deaths. and says most are still under investigation. that story is mostly asking questions not giving answers.

The largest number of new cases are in less vulnerable people. Testing has ramped up dramatically over the past several weeks in our area. Perhaps Nebraskans do in fact "understand the severity" and are acting accordingly. My 89 year old mother-in-law says "I've only got a year or two left at most anyway. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend one of them holed up in my house." I know ONE guy who died after having COVID and he was dying of stage 4 cancer. ALL of the other people I know who have had it from their 50s to 70s have either had no symptoms or were over a flu like illness and back to work in less than 2 weeks. The only young patients (30s) we've seen die from this in my area have been morbidly obese diabetics. Even the rate of hospitalization from this virus is ridiculously low compared to what we were led to believe. When you've been lied to and misled by the CDC, it's tough for many people to heed their warnings.
are you saying the numbers are wrong? because the numbers show a fairly low incidence of death and hospitalization. is the CDC saying those numbers are high? i haven't seen that anywhere

i read that whole article. nowhere does it say suicides exceed covid deaths. in fact, it doesn't even put a number on the suicides. it speculates there are a variety of guesses for the rise in unexplained deaths. and says most are still under investigation. that story is mostly asking questions not giving answers.
360 more unexpected deaths vs 510 from covid.

so sad that people are willing to pass off one death in favor of another due to dogmatic alignment.

pathetic, really.

I tend to agree with you, it's a tough call and I understand their decision. Some would say that the kids could get the virus anyway at school or social gatherings, etc. But on the other hand, there were reportedly 20 teams that had outbreaks this summer. Some teams and fans clearly did not follow the safety protocols. And this is an example of the bad spoiling it for the good. That's why public policy is what it is. They have to acknowledge that some people aren't disciplined enough to follow those guidelines day in day out while others simply do not care. So the next step is cancelling activities.

I admire the OPS leadership for making tough, unpopular decisions that they think is best. Sometimes the unpopular decision is the best decision and that is an inherent weakness in democracies. Too many politicians are not good leaders and are unwilling to make tough decisions especially if it will affect their political future.

And yet not a single kid died. It's highly likely none of them were hospitalized. You know how I know none died? Because if one had it would have been the lead stories on all the newscasts locally and nationally.

Since when is it okay to rob kids of their peace and take away what for most of them will be their best opportunity to participate in competitive athletics, speech, etc? And don't tell me they can do intramurals or town leagues when they are older. Not even close to the same experience.

It's sickening what we are doing to our youth due to a virus that is less harmful to them than the flu. This obviously isn't for their safety. If you want to protect vulnerable adult teachers, they need to find another profession or retire like some have. If I'm a teacher and so worried about my well-being that I will support depriving kids of going to school, doing extra-curricular activities, and JUST BEING KIDS, I better re-evaluate if teaching is the right profession for me, anyway.

Have to think by Oct 1 or earlier all high school sports at least in the non rural parts will be shut down

360 more unexpected deaths vs 510 from covid.

so sad that people are willing to pass off one death in favor of another due to dogmatic alignment.

pathetic, really.
you must be referring to a different article. the article you linked does not attribute the unexpected deaths to anything related to covid. it is asking the question and speculating whether they might be related. why do you insist on stating something the story does not?

And yet not a single kid died. It's highly likely none of them were hospitalized. You know how I know none died? Because if one had it would have been the lead stories on all the newscasts locally and nationally.

Since when is it okay to rob kids of their peace and take away what for most of them will be their best opportunity to participate in competitive athletics, speech, etc? And don't tell me they can do intramurals or town leagues when they are older. Not even close to the same experience.

It's sickening what we are doing to our youth due to a virus that is less harmful to them than the flu. This obviously isn't for their safety. If you want to protect vulnerable adult teachers, they need to find another profession or retire like some have. If I'm a teacher and so worried about my well-being that I will support depriving kids of going to school, doing extra-curricular activities, and JUST BEING KIDS, I better re-evaluate if teaching is the right profession for me, anyway.
its a tough call either way. i agree we have not heard much serious complications in young people. we do absolutely nothing to protect them from the flu. in fact, most parents will order their kids to school at the first moment their fever subsides despite the fact they may still be contagious. So there is a lot of contradictory behavior. I have to chalk that up to the unknown nature of covid. It does seem more easily spread and does not have a vaccine for older people. i think each district should try having school and activities and see where it goes. If a big percentage of kids and or teachers test positive then we slow things down. I actually see both sides and dont blame either side for their opinion

KiDs DoN't DiE

Reactions: OzzyLvr
its a tough call either way. i agree we have not heard much serious complications in young people. we do absolutely nothing to protect them from the flu. in fact, most parents will order their kids to school at the first moment their fever subsides despite the fact they may still be contagious. So there is a lot of contradictory behavior. I have to chalk that up to the unknown nature of covid. It does seem more easily spread and does not have a vaccine for older people. i think each district should try having school and activities and see where it goes. If a big percentage of kids and or teachers test positive then we slow things down. I actually see both sides and dont blame either side for their opinion
"we do absolutely nothing to protect them from the flu. in fact, most parents will order their kids to school at the first moment their fever subsides despite the fact they may still be contagious."

100% spot on. Can't miss the big game, so they have to send their kids to school on game day. My previous school shut down for 4 days in early February of 2017 because we had an absentee rate of about 35%-40%. Kids would be gone for 2-3 days before the big game, then come to school on game day...and then be gone the next 2. They usually wouldn't even end up playing, but they would manage to get others sick.

But, I get it...we need to have a school that the sports teams can be proud of.

Last edited:
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
you must be referring to a different article. the article you linked does not attribute the unexpected deaths to anything related to covid. it is asking the question and speculating whether they might be related. why do you insist on stating something the story does not?
allow me to quote the article you claim to have read:

Dr. Heather Jarrell, the interim director of OMI, attributed the increase to “indirect causes of COVID.”

once again the loudest & dumbest guy in the room. perhaps you need a break from all this. you're losing what little mind you have left.

allow me to quote the article you claim to have read:

Dr. Heather Jarrell, the interim director of OMI, attributed the increase to “indirect causes of COVID.”

once again the loudest & dumbest guy in the room. perhaps you need a break from all this. you're losing what little mind you have left.

Can you lose what you don't have?

This is all about the teachers and their union. I guess IF I were a 50+ year old teacher just hanging on so I can retire and then go double dip, that I might be reluctant to go in to a classroom as well with a bunch of 17-18 year olds. Younger kids? Almost zero risk to the teachers. They're more at risk from hanging out in the teacher's lounge.

As a side note, I just found out that a friend in her 70s with at least one comorbidity, tested positive back in late March. Her and her immunosuppressed older husband got tested because they had been flying a lot back and forth to Vegas and Houston. She thought she had a few chills one night. Turns out she had Covid and that's all the symptoms she got, one night of chills. He never got sick and wasn't positive at least at that time. We saw them last night sitting at a bar having supper.

This is fake news.

I listen to the real news. MSNBC and such.

Don't they know we're in a pandemic? Everyone who gets it dies. And it's the most contagious thing ever. If you don't wear a mask you automatically get it.

ADVERTISEMENT