ADVERTISEMENT

OPS no fall sports

You guys are going to need to do more than pipe up on these message boards

From what I have been hearing, teachers lounges will be pretty much closed up at schools.

But the lounges after school on Friday will be open :)
Saw some of our high school teachers and coaches out at a bar and grill last night. No masks and no social distancing. There's a LOT of fat 50 something teachers who I'm sure are wearing masks everywhere they go if they go anywhere at all. Might be time for them to retire or find another line of work. I know our district has a medical leave policy which I think they could probably use for a semester until they get vaccinated.

New York's early inaction sure didn't help anything. Then Fauci lying to the American public about masks 'FOR WEEKS, was a killer. Yet he gets a pass. The media, Twitter and Facebook all trumpet every odd ball case fatality but fail to mention the hundreds of thousands of elderly who have gotten this with mild to no symptoms. IF we're going to set the bar at "no kid or teacher will get sick" we may as well permanently cancel school. Lay off most teachers. After all, one teacher can teach an unlimited number of kids in an online setting. If a kid isn't motivated or smart enough to do online classes then they can go get a job. Clearly in class teaching isn't important for outcomes so what does it matter.Winking
My experience in my household is you probably need more teachers for online. Kids have way more questions plus I don't think kids are retaining curriculum as well.

Online school sucks. I think parents should have the option. If you want to keep your kid home, have at it. Not me.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My experience in my household is you probably need more teachers for online. Kids have way more questions plus I don't think kids are retaining curriculum as well.

Online school sucks. I think parents should have the option. If you want to keep your kid home, have at it. Not me.

Online sucks ass....and all my kid learned last year is he doesn't have to do the work and he'll get passed anyway. What amazing values we're teaching our kids by telling them to stay home if there is any danger that you might run into on the real world, and homework is optional.

Online teaching is like trying to communicate with someone via texts. It actually takes way more time and lends itself to misunderstandings. My point was that I can see a scenario where some school systems would drop teachers and make teachers handle more kids in a section. Talk about saving money. Think about this. How MUCH MONEY does OPS potentially save by not having kids in the classroom? WAY less custodial upkeep. Huge energy savings. Anything I'm missing? Less snow removal costs? That's a big one. Meanwhile revenue stays the same.

Personally, I think they should try to play...and cancel games or teams can end their season early if they have Covid outbreaks.

Comparing Covid to swine flu is a mistake in my opinion. We didn't shut down for the swine flu because the amount of time that pre-symptomatic people are contagious was a small window and the vast majority of people once they had the symptoms of the flu will stay home. If Covid was similar in that you generally only transmit the disease once you have symptoms, we never would have needed to tell everyone to stay home.

Saw some of our high school teachers and coaches out at a bar and grill last night. No masks and no social distancing. There's a LOT of fat 50 something teachers who I'm sure are wearing masks everywhere they go if they go anywhere at all. Might be time for them to retire or find another line of work. I know our district has a medical leave policy which I think they could probably use for a semester until they get vaccinated.

Yeah for sure. And, honestly, I see people wearing masks at the stores but no one is wearing them when they are out to eat or getting a drink. I mean, it is just how it is.

Personally, I think they should try to play...and cancel games or teams can end their season early if they have Covid outbreaks.

Comparing Covid to swine flu is a mistake in my opinion. We didn't shut down for the swine flu because the amount of time that pre-symptomatic people are contagious was a small window and the vast majority of people once they had the symptoms of the flu will stay home. If Covid was similar in that you generally only transmit the disease once you have symptoms, we never would have needed to tell everyone to stay home.
You missed the study that showed that in fact the WHO spokesperson was correct when she said that asymptomatic transmission is extremely rare IF it happens at all. What is actually happening is that people who have very mild symptoms don't stay home because they think they're just tired or have allergic rhinitis. A retrospective study out of Oxford supported that.

Online sucks ass....and all my kid learned last year is he doesn't have to do the work and he'll get passed anyway. What amazing values we're teaching our kids by telling them to stay home if there is any danger that you might run into on the real world, and homework is optional.
Exactly. Not to mention the little kids are going to be the biggest losers in this. They are learning exponentially, not to mention the socialization aspect.

Exactly. Not to mention the little kids are going to be the biggest losers in this. They are learning exponentially, not to mention the socialization aspect.
The youngest kids are the ones who have the greatest capacity to make the most gains in learning. They're also the ones who pose the least risk to their teachers and families and are the most difficult to teach online. At the very least K-5 should be in class full time.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Yeah for sure. And, honestly, I see people wearing masks at the stores but no one is wearing them when they are out to eat or getting a drink. I mean, it is just how it is.

Well for the most part no one is wearing masks eating a handful do.. I admit I don’t when I go out to eat or play golf and have a few beers at the local bar close to the course’s.. The rest of the time I’m wearing a mask..

I'll be tuning in to the Prep, Marian, Skutt, Roncalli, Gross, Mt. Mikes Mercy, Duchesne bubble leauge. My guess is Mercy and Duchesne will struggle with the size and gender of Prep but we'll see. #2020partytime

The youngest kids are the ones who have the greatest capacity to make the most gains in learning. They're also the ones who pose the least risk to their teachers and families and are the most difficult to teach online. At the very least K-5 should be in class full time.
My district at least recognized that and if there is an outbreak then elementary will remain in school while the rest go online. This is a rural school with K-12 in one building.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Doesn't matter who wins, this thing will be pretty much over by the inauguration. IF it's Biden, somehow he'll get credit for the enormous bounce back our economy is going to have when this is behind us. :rolleyes:
Will be the first inauguration ceremony to take place in a basement

Because currently .38% of Nebraska's population has it based on CDC website? Currently 7,300 cases in a state with almost 2M people. Nebraska is averaging about 1.5 deaths a day since July 1st...

i don’t know what the right answer is but diluting omaha by the entire Nebraska
population isn’t valid ... the OPS didnt cancel fall sports for the entire state ... what is happening outside of Douglas county/Omaha is irrelevant

that would be like looking at New York in March-April and dividing New York’s numbers by the entire US population

again - not arguing one or way or another

but clearly things are trending poorly if the cdc director mentioned Nebraska specifically

Because currently .38% of Nebraska's population has it based on CDC website? Currently 7,300 cases in a state with almost 2M people. Nebraska is averaging about 1.5 deaths a day since July 1st...

Lol, what the guy just said above. You have no idea how stats work, I guess.

i don’t know what the right answer is but diluting omaha by the entire Nebraska
population isn’t valid ... the OPS didnt cancel fall sports for the entire state ... what is happening outside of Douglas county/Omaha is irrelevant

that would be like looking at New York in March-April and dividing New York’s numbers by the entire US population

again - not arguing one or way or another

but clearly things are trending poorly if the cdc director mentioned Nebraska specifically

I don't disagree. Do you know a good website by chance that display's numbers for Omaha area? I usually use worldometers to get the stats, but it wouldn't let me drill down into a county level. I'd be actually interested to see the numbers, but still I doubt that number is very high.

Lol, what the guy just said above. You have no idea how stats work, I guess.

Provide something then that backs your claim. If you were to guess, would you say out of the 7,300 NE wide would you say half is Omaha? So 3650 just as a guess? Google tells me Omaha metro population is 974K. Doing the math that means .374% of Omaha population is confirmed infected with the disease. I know it is higher because of asymptomatic cases, but come on.... So Omaha would also be losing .75 a person per day since July 1st in the death rate. Man huge numbers! I'm all for hearing an argument, but numbers are numbers....

I don't disagree. Do you know a good website by chance that display's numbers for Omaha area? I usually use worldometers to get the stats, but it wouldn't let me drill down into a county level. I'd be actually interested to see the numbers, but still I doubt that number is very high.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/ece0db09da4d4ca68252c3967aa1e9dd

27000+ total cases in Nebraska
11000+ cases in Douglas county

over 1800 cases the last 14 day in douglas county

The CDC Director specifically called out Nebraska as concerning - over 40% of the cases in Nebraska come from Douglas County

more specific douglas county data - 11% positive rate is quite high

https://dogis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/21bec056a9a6449abcca89a329868fd6

for what it is worth the WHO recommends 5% or less for opening

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity

Last edited:
Italy and NYC saw first hand what happens if you treat COVID likes it's just the flu. This is a world pandemic and this has nothing to do with the politics in a nation that makes up only 4% of the world population.

When NYC put sick people in the nursing homes, yes they had a problem... Look at the ages and illnesses that the people who died. Ignorance is bliss

As of this morning, 11,036 cases in Douglas County. 135 deaths so far. Spread is unmitigated because Nebraskans are not understanding the severity of this.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Doesn't matter who wins, this thing will be pretty much over by the inauguration. IF it's Biden, somehow he'll get credit for the enormous bounce back our economy is going to have when this is behind us. :rolleyes:
the virus will be over by January? that would be awesome. You need to let the rest of the world know so everybody can plan. It doesn't matter who wins political office they ALWAYS take credit for everything. That applies to both parties and all politicians. So please dont act like that is a bad thing. its going to happen no matter what. and it has always been that way. and it will always be that way. it has nothing to do with individuals or parties.
i dont blame trump for the stock market crash but then he tried to take credit for the economic rise that occurred after the crash. the economic rise was going to happen no matter what after a crash like that. it was just a matter of when. so they all do it

I have spent the last 20+ years working in secondary public schools in South Carolina and Idaho. I work primarily with students with special needs and/or students at risk. During that time I have been threatened, screamed at, cursed at, spat at, hit, and had objects thrown at me. I've assisted students with toileting (yes, diapers), pushed wheel chairs, put on braces, tube fed students and given students oxygen.

Having said that, I, along with my colleagues, miss our students. People don't get into public education for the $$. Schools not only educate but provide some students with their only meals. Schools provide shelter and clothing. We are all concerned about the health of the students as well as our own.

the virus will be over by January? that would be awesome. You need to let the rest of the world know so everybody can plan. It doesn't matter who wins political office they ALWAYS take credit for everything. That applies to both parties and all politicians. So please dont act like that is a bad thing. its going to happen no matter what. and it has always been that way. and it will always be that way. it has nothing to do with individuals or parties.
i dont blame trump for the stock market crash but then he tried to take credit for the economic rise that occurred after the crash. the economic rise was going to happen no matter what after a crash like that. it was just a matter of when. so they all do it
There will be a vaccine by January. After that anybody getting COVID will have only themselves to blame. Multiple companies are on track with their trials to have vaccine available before Thanksgiving regardless of what they publicly state. We'll have more than enough vaccine to vaccinate at risk citizens, teachers and law enforcement before Christmas. In the mean time we're causing horrible permanent damage to millions of k-12 and college kids. The death toll from suicide will end up dwarfing the number of kids who die from COVID.

Reactions: bshirt73
There will be a vaccine by January. After that anybody getting COVID will have only themselves to blame. Multiple companies are on track with their trials to have vaccine available before Thanksgiving regardless of what they publicly state. We'll have more than enough vaccine to vaccinate at risk citizens, teachers and law enforcement before Christmas. In the mean time we're causing horrible permanent damage to millions of k-12 and college kids. The death toll from suicide will end up dwarfing the number of kids who die from COVID.

Ahhhh no. That last part is all bunk.

However, I would like to ask you a question you would actually know about: to reach herd-immunity, at least, according to the Netflix episodes on COVID-19, you need to hit a certain percentage of the population having the antibodies and that number is never 100%. They indicate in the show that it would likely be 40-60%. The idea being, you don't have to have everyone be immune to close off enough vectors for the virus to basically be ineffective at spreading very far. That all checks out, right?

I bring that up because, while I think a vaccine is coming soon too, I don't think it will be readily available until Q1 2021 at the earliest, but when it is, we're talking about needing roughly 200 million shots for the U.S., if those percentages are correct, which sounds like a lot but actually isn't really that bad for one or a number of drug manufacturers to hit once the vaccine is proven and manufacturing can be gone after full bore.

I have spent the last 20+ years working in secondary public schools in South Carolina and Idaho. I work primarily with students with special needs and/or students at risk. During that time I have been threatened, screamed at, cursed at, spat at, hit, and had objects thrown at me. I've assisted students with toileting (yes, diapers), pushed wheel chairs, put on braces, tube fed students and given students oxygen.

Having said that, I, along with my colleagues, miss our students. People don't get into public education for the $$. Schools not only educate but provide some students with their only meals. Schools provide shelter and clothing. We are all concerned about the health of the students as well as our own.

I have thought about moving to SC, how do you like it?

How do we know the COVID vaccine will work 100%..

They have trouble getting the flu vaccine right every flu season..

As of this morning, 11,036 cases in Douglas County. 135 deaths so far. Spread is unmitigated because Nebraskans are not understanding the severity of this.
Whats the population of Douglas County? 500k? 135 deaths out of 500,000 people.

How do we know the COVID vaccine will work 100%..

They have trouble getting the flu vaccine right every flu season..

We don't, but the flu is a different type of virus. The current coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is novel, meaning new, and it hasn't undergone a seasonal, significant mutation yet (though apparently there are at least two known strains of it right now that indicate that it can and will mutate). We're getting the vaccine ready to treat it as it is. If this thing sticks around forever like the flu does, you will see vaccines annually that will be much more akin to the flu vaccine, where assumptions are made about the characteristics of the mutation in an effort to try to vaccinate before the virus really starts to spread. Those, as you correctly point out, range between 25% and 60% efficacy in any given year, depending on how close the assumptions were to reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT