ADVERTISEMENT

OPS no fall sports

During the swine flu... there were high schools in Lincoln with over 200 kids out sick... football wasn’t canceled

That was back in the dark ages of 2009. That was before we had CoronaScience which magically makes masks work and staying home forever a viable option. Never mind that fewer kids get sick or die, we still limit their opportunities. Because it's ok if kids die from suicide or drugs, but not a virus that barely kills any of them.

Just for interest’s sake, other than the social/entertainment aspect what benefits do sports bring to the educational experience?

Sorry but wouldn’t it make a lot more sense to have both or neither???
I tend to agree with you, it's a tough call and I understand their decision. Some would say that the kids could get the virus anyway at school or social gatherings, etc. But on the other hand, there were reportedly 20 teams that had outbreaks this summer. Some teams and fans clearly did not follow the safety protocols. And this is an example of the bad spoiling it for the good. That's why public policy is what it is. They have to acknowledge that some people aren't disciplined enough to follow those guidelines day in day out while others simply do not care. So the next step is cancelling activities.

I admire the OPS leadership for making tough, unpopular decisions that they think is best. Sometimes the unpopular decision is the best decision and that is an inherent weakness in democracies. Too many politicians are not good leaders and are unwilling to make tough decisions especially if it will affect their political future.

On Nov 4th everything changes. This is insanity.

Look at Covid deaths in kids compared to the annual flu. Schools don’t shut down every year for the flu.
Italy and NYC saw first hand what happens if you treat COVID likes it's just the flu. This is a world pandemic and this has nothing to do with the politics in a nation that makes up only 4% of the world population.

I tend to agree with you, it's a tough call and I understand their decision. Some would say that the kids could get the virus anyway at school or social gatherings, etc. But on the other hand, there were reportedly 20 teams that had outbreaks this summer. Some teams and fans clearly did not follow the safety protocols. And this is an example of the bad spoiling it for the good. That's why public policy is what it is. They have to acknowledge that some people aren't disciplined enough to follow those guidelines day in day out while others simply do not care. So the next step is cancelling activities.

I admire the OPS leadership for making tough, unpopular decisions that they think is best. Sometimes the unpopular decision is the best decision and that is an inherent weakness in democracies. Too many politicians are not good leaders and are unwilling to make tough decisions especially if it will affect their political future.

And had she made the “difficult decision” of letting sports get played? She is only a good leader because you agree with the decision.

She is just another sheep, and isn't making a tough decision. She's falling in line with all of the other BS sweeping the nation about kids not being in school. I'll post again when I get a chance, but look at the stats of Covid and tell me again why our kids are in so much danger... Protect folks over 60 and move on.

On Nov 4th everything changes. This is insanity.

Look at Covid deaths in kids compared to the annual flu. Schools don’t shut down every year for the flu.

Yep. If Biden wins (not sure he even makes the election) the narrative is going to shift. The funny part is people act like Trump has botched this thing and it is actually pretty comical. I can't stand Trump and when he talks I feel that much more stupid, but the states have pretty much received everything they have asked for and their governors have acknowledged as much. We have a Federalist system and states have taken things on at their level with support from the Federal government and have pretty much received everything they have asked for. Were there mishaps, yes, but acting like Trump is the sole person behind any mishaps is just hilarious.

In the beginning shutting down shop was a good idea since we didn't have much info on the virus, but the goal posts keep being moved. It was let's make sure the hospitals aren't overwhelmed, social distance, and just don't be an idiot. That has all turned into making a massive deal of any case in America. We aren't going to have 0 cases anytime soon people.

And to all the ones who say sports aren't a big deal must have never played them. If I was a SR in high school that couldn't play I would legit be devastated. Worked your whole life to get to state or whatever your goals are...most kids will never play organized sports outside of rec league for the rest of their lives.

She is just another sheep, and isn't making a tough decision. She's falling in line with all of the other BS sweeping the nation about kids not being in school. I'll post again when I get a chance, but look at the stats of Covid and tell me again why our kids are in so much danger... Protect folks over 60 and move on.
Seems like people you disagree with are either idiots, sheep or maybe both. If it were me, I would allow sports and open 50/50. But OPS is indeed making a tough decision. It's much more unpopular in this state to open up at 50/50 hybrid than at 100% (with a crap load of safety measures that will make school less social & beneficial to kids) and it's more unpopular to say no sports. Any school administrator could tell you that. There are no easy decisions with this pandemic. But studies show that kids 10 and over contract and pass along the virus like 20 and 30 year olds. Schools at 100% capacity are much easier to run if the community spread is much lower than it is now in Omaha and Lincoln. The nations in Europe that had success opening up had 10 times fewer cases in their nations than Omaha currently does.

Last edited:
Didn’t the director of the CDC mention Nebraska/douglas county/Omaha just yesterday as being areas that are particularly concerning?

Redfield also said the numbers show school districts need to take a closer look at their plans for safely returning students to class, but he thinks it can still be done.

“CDC director: Nebraskans aren't getting the message”

Last edited:
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Seems like people you disagree with are either idiots, sheep or maybe both. If it were me, I would allow sports and open 50/50. But OPS is indeed making a tough decision. It's much more unpopular in this state to open up at 50/50 hybrid than at 100% (with a crap load of safety measures that will make school less social & beneficial to kids) and it's more unpopular to say no sports. Any school administrator could tell you that. There are no easy decisions with this pandemic. But studies show that kids 10 and over contract and pass along the virus like 20 and 30 year olds. Schools at 100% capacity are much easier to run if the community spread is much lower than it is now in Omaha and Lincoln. The nations in Europe that had success opening up had 10 times fewer cases in their nations than Omaha currently does. I think it's much more unpopular in this state to open up at 50/50 hybrid with no sports.

I'm still searching for the breakdown of age, gender, etc, but Nebraska since July 1st has had 59 deaths. So like 1.5 per day and they are probably the older population based on stats; the new cases are pretty flat and our hospitals are not overwhelmed, yet we are talking kids can't go back to school? There are currently 7,300 active cases which show .38% of the NE population is infected. If you run the numbers on those for school age kids, you are going to find a higher chance of getting hit by a an asteroid than dying of this thing, so tell me again why NE kids shouldn't be in school? This isn't a tough decision, this is a horrible decision. If we were experiencing NY type numbers I might go with your argument, but the silly season is upon us.

Italy and NYC saw first hand what happens if you treat COVID likes it's just the flu. This is a world pandemic and this has nothing to do with the politics in a nation that makes up only 4% of the world population.
our country has made this a political issue because of leadership's stance on it. The virus doesn't care how you vote, and it is a global issue, not just targeting the US.

I'm still searching for the breakdown of age, gender, etc, but Nebraska since July 1st has had 59 deaths. So like 1.5 per day and they are probably the older population based on stats; the new cases are pretty flat and our hospitals are not overwhelmed, yet we are talking kids can't go back to school? There are currently 7,300 active cases which show .38% of the NE population is infected. If you run the numbers on those for school age kids, you are going to find a higher chance of getting hit by a an asteroid than dying of this thing, so tell me again why NE kids shouldn't be in school? This isn't a tough decision, this is a horrible decision. If we were experiencing NY type numbers I might go with your argument, but the silly season is upon us.
The biggest concern is kids getting it and passing it along to others. Packing people together in middle schools and high schools is something that caused the issues in NYC and the surrounding area in the spring (that and mass transit). But we know a lot more now-- with masks and a few other safety measures, fingers crossed, schools may be more safe.

If community levels are low (like some areas in rural Nebraska) and masks & safety measures are in place. Maybe those schools will make it through the entire year at school and with activities being played.

this all goes away magically after nov 3. Just watch

No, it won’t. This is a world changing, human right-stripping agenda plandemic. 9/11 was a drop in the bucket compared to this. I believe we will have a cashless, HEAVILY surveilled society within 10 years. Just like the Rockefeller foundation’s 2010 “Lock Step” paper touts, we will become the “China model”.

Seems like people you disagree with are either idiots, sheep or maybe both. If it were me, I would allow sports and open 50/50. But OPS is indeed making a tough decision. It's much more unpopular in this state to open up at 50/50 hybrid than at 100% (with a crap load of safety measures that will make school less social & beneficial to kids) and it's more unpopular to say no sports. Any school administrator could tell you that. There are no easy decisions with this pandemic. But studies show that kids 10 and over contract and pass along the virus like 20 and 30 year olds. Schools at 100% capacity are much easier to run if the community spread is much lower than it is now in Omaha and Lincoln. The nations in Europe that had success opening up had 10 times fewer cases in their nations than Omaha currently does.

No. That was not a tough decision when she just copied the plans that multiple neighboring states already made. To have sports go on as planned would’ve been the tough decision, going against the grain, not this.

No, it won’t. This is a world changing, human right-stripping agenda plandemic. 9/11 was a drop in the bucket compared to this. I believe we will have a cashless, HEAVILY surveilled society within 10 years. Just like the Rockefeller foundation’s 2010 “Lock Step” paper touts, we will become the “China model”.

No. That was not a tough decision when she just copied the plans that multiple neighboring states already made. To have sports go on as planned would’ve been the tough decision, going against the grain, not this.
Did you watch tucker last night?

The biggest concern is kids getting it and passing it along to others. Packing people together in middle schools and high schools is something that caused the issues in NYC and the surrounding area in the spring (that and mass transit). But we know a lot more now-- with masks and a few other safety measures, fingers crossed, schools may be more safe.

If community levels are low (like some areas in rural Nebraska) and masks & safety measures are in place. Maybe those schools will make it through the entire year at school and with activities being played.

Imagine thinking that classrooms are more safe than a football field. It isn't on the same planet...

Reactions: huskerfan1414

What have the kids been doing all summer? I get the gatherings will be a little larger, but still can't grasp the mass hysteria around such low numbers in Nebraska. For as much shit as Sweden took, they are basically done with the virus and their school age population had no real issue. My stance all along is protect the over 60 crowd and the compromised and move on with life. There is a new article in Science Magazine on T-Cells that actually shows herd immunity may be achievable at much lower infection rates than originally thought. Yes, the virus is no joke and does go after certain groups, but the average age of death is something like 80 years old which is higher than than the US life expectancy.

Just for interest’s sake, other than the social/entertainment aspect what benefits do sports bring to the educational experience?

Good question!

I would say these things

1. School pride and better culture. (Not always but often)
2. Accountability of students to their classwork
3. Socialization
4. Something to do. Practice until 6pm and then getting home is way different than getting home at 3:30pm with nothing to do.
5. Personal pride (not for all but for some)
6. Learning how to deal with adversity
7. Memories, this might tie into #3, but honestly for most HS players the memories about the best part. The bus rides, joking in the locker room, making fun of coaches, joking with coaches, team meals. Not so much wins/losses, but just the fun. You get 4 years of this and then it is gone. But the memories are there forever. That is not just for sports but clubs and activities too. I get kids that want to stop playing all the time and they give some lame excuse and I always tell them "You get 4 years of this, then it is gone"

Good question!

I would say these things

1. School pride and better culture. (Not always but often)
2. Accountability of students to their classwork
3. Socialization
4. Something to do. Practice until 6pm and then getting home is way different than getting home at 3:30pm with nothing to do.
5. Personal pride (not for all but for some)
6. Learning how to deal with adversity
7. Memories, this might tie into #3, but honestly for most HS players the memories about the best part. The bus rides, joking in the locker room, making fun of coaches, joking with coaches, team meals. Not so much wins/losses, but just the fun. You get 4 years of this and then it is gone. But the memories are there forever. That is not just for sports but clubs and activities too. I get kids that want to stop playing all the time and they give some lame excuse and I always tell them "You get 4 years of this, then it is gone"

Yeah and the list goes on. Not only sports, but clubs and bands, etc can all be great for kids. Instead we are pushing being loners and only being in small groups? No wonder suicides are spiking and mental wellness continues to deteriorate.

There are going to be kids who might have gone to college on some type of athletic scholarship drop out of high school this year. This is tragic for some of those kids. Many of the area small colleges get basketball and football players out of the "leftovers" from Omaha high schools. Some of those kids are players who don't show up until they're seniors. It's a carrot for some kids to finish high school. Those kids can go on then and get a degree which helps them tremendously. In addition attendance, classroom behavior, and success are better in kids who participate in athletics.

Athletics for me in high school was a lifesaver. It taught me so much. A few years after I graduated I got a survey from my former high school which said, "we're surveying our most successful graduates to ask them about their high school experience". I don't know what their criteria was for who got surveyed but I had been on the Dean's list my first 2 years of college and had pulled in quite a bit of scholarship money at that point. One of the questions was who was most important to your later success in college. My answer was #1 the head football coach at the time and #2 a choir instructor. Yeah I had a couple of pretty good classroom teachers but they didn't have near the impact on my discipline and desire to succeed that those 2 guys had.

There is no way this is being done for "the sake of the kids".
This is all about the teachers and their union. I guess IF I were a 50+ year old teacher just hanging on so I can retire and then go double dip, that I might be reluctant to go in to a classroom as well with a bunch of 17-18 year olds. Younger kids? Almost zero risk to the teachers. They're more at risk from hanging out in the teacher's lounge.

As a side note, I just found out that a friend in her 70s with at least one comorbidity, tested positive back in late March. Her and her immunosuppressed older husband got tested because they had been flying a lot back and forth to Vegas and Houston. She thought she had a few chills one night. Turns out she had Covid and that's all the symptoms she got, one night of chills. He never got sick and wasn't positive at least at that time. We saw them last night sitting at a bar having supper.

The whole focus of episode was how US is becoming like China.

That’s good he’s saying it at least. Conspiracy folks have been getting laughed at for years for saying this, even as it unfolds before our eyes.

That 2010 Rockefeller paper seemingly manifests this exact situation we’re currently living out. There’s a pandemic, China theoretically “handles it exceptionally well“ because of their extreme government control. They call it the “China model” and the consensus is that everyone should adopt it.

Going on with playing high school sports in Nebraska is "going against the grain?" Who isn't playing high school sports? Nebraska? Iowa?

Reactions: GBRforLife1
This is all about the teachers and their union. I guess IF I were a 50+ year old teacher just hanging on so I can retire and then go double dip, that I might be reluctant to go in to a classroom as well with a bunch of 17-18 year olds. Younger kids? Almost zero risk to the teachers. They're more at risk from hanging out in the teacher's lounge.

As a side note, I just found out that a friend in her 70s with at least one comorbidity, tested positive back in late March. Her and her immunosuppressed older husband got tested because they had been flying a lot back and forth to Vegas and Houston. She thought she had a few chills one night. Turns out she had Covid and that's all the symptoms she got, one night of chills. He never got sick and wasn't positive at least at that time. We saw them last night sitting at a bar having supper.

From what I have been hearing, teachers lounges will be pretty much closed up at schools.

But the lounges after school on Friday will be open :)

ADVERTISEMENT