ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: Major Hoops Conf Tiers

Big 10 kind of sucks this year outside of Purdue. And even the Boilermakers have lucked out a few times.

Reactions: king_kong_
The Big Ten will have more teams in the dance than anyone else, but outside of Purdue, they will all be seeded 6 to 12. The Big East is top heavy and is probably 5 deep at best. The Big 12 is better than both, Pac 12 as well. The SEC is even more top heavy than the Big East, they will get 5 or maybe 6 in and have 2 of the top 8 seeds or better.

The Big 10 is 9-3 vs the Big East. Top 5 in standings in Big East today are 1-5 Vs Big 10. The Big 12 is 5-4 Vs Big 10. I don't think the Big 10 is that different from other conferences. College basketball is down everywhere. The Big East is not better than the Big 10. The Big 12 and Pac 10 probably are top to bottom.

The Big 10 is 9-3 vs the Big East. Top 5 in standings in Big East today are 1-5 Vs Big 10. The Big 12 is 5-4 Vs Big 10. I don't think the Big 10 is that different from other conferences. College basketball is down everywhere. The Big East is not better than the Big 10. The Big 12 and Pac 10 probably are top to bottom.
I don't know if the Pac-12 is better top to bottom than the Big Ten, but it's probably pretty close. And yet, the TV talking heads have the Big Ten getting 10 bids while the Pac-12 will get three and might squeeze out a fourth if they're lucky.

Other than the Big 12, I don't really think the Big Ten is worse than other major conferences. But it is the most overhyped league by leaps and bounds.

Marquette barely lost to Purdue on the road but had them beat

Uconn beats purdue more times than not IMO, which is why I put the BE higher

CBB is all about when teams find their stride. UConn looked unreal to start the year. Lots of scoring, great man up D and depth. Right now they’re struggling. I think Purdue would work them at this juncture but that could change.

Houston plays the best defense in the nation and it only gets better in the tourney. Kansas has elite talent but lacks good depth. Gonzaga has poor guard play

I think Uconn and Purdue are the two best teams when playing 💯 but painter chokes somehow in the tourney and has a bad gameplan to an inferior team. And Hurley is a young coach still trying to figure out how to make an elite team get a deep run.

This will be a wide open tournament. Not sold on Alabama

I don't know if the Pac-12 is better top to bottom than the Big Ten, but it's probably pretty close. And yet, the TV talking heads have the Big Ten getting 10 bids while the Pac-12 will get three and might squeeze out a fourth if they're lucky.

Other than the Big 12, I don't really think the Big Ten is worse than other major conferences. But it is the most overhyped league by leaps and bounds.
Agree

Pac 12 should be a 6-7 bid league but will be fighting for 4 while 1 or 2 B1G teams with losing conf records will somehow be shoe-ins

Reactions: schuele
According to Jerry Palm he has 9 B1G teams in his Bracketolgy..
Northwestern is probably in after beating mighty Wisconsin, who conquered Colgate in the home regional they hosted in Milwaukee last year (before bowing out in the next round).

I still think this should be the B1G men's basketball official logo:

d0a8215b-81a5-490e-8e49-612e35e60366-GAN_20220318_add_db4_239.JPG

Northwestern is probably in after beating mighty Wisconsin, who conquered Colgate in the home regional they hosted in Milwaukee last year (before bowing out in the next round).

I still think this should be the B1G men's basketball official logo:

d0a8215b-81a5-490e-8e49-612e35e60366-GAN_20220318_add_db4_239.JPG
I believe it’s still too early, need to wait till the middle of February where we have a much better idea and see where teams seat in the standings..

pennst are 7-point underdogs @ rutgers tonight
Rooting for the Nits tonight. Solely because I work with a lot of Penn State grads and a few Rutgers grads. The Rutgers fans have an inferiority complex with PSU about football and it's always amusing. I'm not sure if any of them care about basketball but the football stuff is comedy gold. So maybe basketball is too LOL

CBB is all about when teams find their stride. UConn looked unreal to start the year. Lots of scoring, great man up D and depth. Right now they’re struggling. I think Purdue would work them at this juncture but that could change.

Houston plays the best defense in the nation and it only gets better in the tourney. Kansas has elite talent but lacks good depth. Gonzaga has poor guard play

I think Uconn and Purdue are the two best teams when playing 💯 but painter chokes somehow in the tourney and has a bad gameplan to an inferior team. And Hurley is a young coach still trying to figure out how to make an elite team get a deep run.

Hurley is 50…. Hardly young

i watched Hurley for several years when UCONN played WSU....a wild man and kind of average, I thought....
He’s def got a short fuse. He did a good job building a roster this year through portal and recruits. Maybe the best in the country. But I believe his “average” side is coming out. We will see how good he has the team by March, when it matters.

Same for Painter. Great team builder but man can he get out coached when it matters. And the one deep run they had where they should have beat Virginia (eventual champs) in elite 8 was all lead by Carson Edwards putting together the best tournament play ever

Purdue plays to their seed more than not. Rarely upset teams. Due for some good tourney luck.

Purdue plays to their seed more than not. Rarely upset teams. Due for some good tourney luck.
I’m a Purdue grad but Nebraska fan. I follow both teams but prefer Nebraska football. However, I favor Purdue basketball. Painter is an awesome coach and I don’t think Purdue can do better. Obviously winning the tournament is done by elite coaches and painter isn’t there yet

Is it my imagination or has college basketball never been more average to below? I don't know how you guys watch some of these games. Absolutely brutal TV.

I’m a Purdue grad but Nebraska fan. I follow both teams but prefer Nebraska football. However, I favor Purdue basketball. Painter is an awesome coach and I don’t think Purdue can do better. Obviously winning the tournament is done by elite coaches and painter isn’t there yet
Ya. The years he's been capable, injuries blow it up or Virginia makes a ridiculous shot. He's still a young coach though. And finally has administration support.

The Big 12 is very good this year.Being interested how many they get in the sweet 16..

3 years ago the B1G was having a similar year like the Big 12 is having this year but only Michigan advanced to the sweet 16..

Do you remember Painter's odd career path? Left the head spot at SIU to be the 'coach in waiting' for Gene Keady....iirc

Is it my imagination or has college basketball never been more average to below? I don't know how you guys watch some of these games. Absolutely brutal TV.
you're not wrong

on the flip side, NBA players are so unbelievably good it's made their sport hard to watch, too. those guys never miss!

A lot of teams absolutely suck at ball movement. It's like everything MUST start with a ball screen at the top of the key, and if the first option gets blown up the whole possession just turns into a dribblefest followed by a bad shot.

A lot of teams absolutely suck at ball movement. It's like everything MUST start with a ball screen at the top of the key, and if the first option gets blown up the whole possession just turns into a dribblefest followed by a bad shot.
I've been impressed with KState ball movement so far....

good time to revisit this. was pretty close, but overrated the B1G (ironic) and underrated the ACC.

here are my updated tiers with 3 games to go:

Big East
Big 12
Conference USA (CBI champ, NIT champ, Final Four team)

SEC
ACC

B1G
Pac 12

Last edited:
Reactions: vighawk
good time to revisit this. was pretty close, but overrated the B1G (ironic) and underrated the ACC.

Big East
Big 12

SEC
ACC

B1G
Who gives a $&it about the CBI tournament..

Big East
Big 12

SEC
ACC

B1G
And Freddy is the worst coach in the worst conference.

Here is an odd fact....the AAC loses Houston, Cincinnati and UCF to the Big 12, BUT the 6 schools coming in are ACTUALLY POTENTIALLY an upgrade....FAU, Final Four....UNT and UAB, finalists in the NIT....and even though the CBI is pointless, if in it, might as well play well....

ADVERTISEMENT