ADVERTISEMENT

Opening with Ohio State

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Ok, it is established that the B1G establishment is pissed at us.
However... if you have to play Ohio State (and they WERE on our original schedule) it is better to play them in the opening game after a spring and fall of total ****ing weirdness. Weirdness and discombobulation can be a great equalizer.
Also, it is very important to remember something here. NU was a long shot anyway to win the B1G. What this season was going to be about was a return to respectability and playing competitive, winning, football.
Therefore, we do NOT have to win this game to achieve that goal. All we have to do is play OSU tough, make them sweat, keep it close, and don’t get blown out. Then after the national media take note of how well we played at OSU, to come home and upset Wisconsin. And we can do that. Wisconsin does not scare me. I think we beat them this year. In fact, barring injury or mass Covid infections, I think we go 7-2.

All the players should be healthy. Will be interesting to see the offense production and hopefully can play with speed. AM needs his head clear and blinkers working. If the offense can't play with pace that will speak volumes of AM's capabilities.

However... if you have to play Ohio State (and they WERE on our original schedule) it is better to play them in the opening game after a spring and fall of total ****ing weirdness. Weirdness and discombobulation can be a great equalizer.
Also, it is very important to remember something here. NU was a long shot anyway to win the B1G. What this season was going to be about was a return to respectability and playing competitive, winning, football.
Therefore, we do NOT have to win this game to achieve that goal. All we have to do is play OSU tough, make them sweat, keep it close, and don’t get blown out. Then after the national media take note of how well we played at OSU, to come home and upset Wisconsin. And we can do that. Wisconsin does not scare me. I think we beat them this year. In fact, barring injury or mass Covid infections, I think we go 7-2.
i-like-the-5c61fa.jpg

All the players should be healthy. Will be interesting to see the offense production and hopefully can play with speed. AM needs his head clear and blinkers working. If the offense can't play with pace that will speak volumes of AM's capabilities.
That is assuming AM is the starter.

I have a list of early season Nebraska unknowns that we could discuss, specifically the partially positive impact of losing six starters on defense, but there are surprisingly some serious Ohio State unknowns.

Are there three 2021 first-round picks starting on the 2020 OSU defense like on last year's Buckeyes team?

Will losing defensive coaches Greg Schiano (2019) and Jeff Hafley to P5 teams as head coaches impact their defensive continuity early in the season?

Will Justin Fields regress early from his unreal 2019 41/3 TD/INT ratio and 180+ Passer Efficiency Rating?

Is J.K. Dobbins really going to be replaced like a plug and play RB?

Is Ohio State better in early season games under Ryan Day than they were under Urban Meyer (another improbable Stoops to Riley-esque transition)?

These questions exemplify the biggest difference between the Ohio State and Nebraska programs right now - that being that the only hope for catching Ohio State is hoping for regression while every hope relating to Nebraska is hoping for progression; neither of which are guarenteed.

Regardless, I have a tepid sense of optimism about 2020 Nebraska, but I think the roughly 96% FPI prediction in favor of Ohio State is fair at this point. That being said, I do believe that it's advantageous for Nebraska to get them in Week 1 in an empty stadium and there's no chance Nebraska is looking past the Buckeyes (even with Wiscy lurking), but anyone think Ohio State might be taking a peek at their Week 2 opponent?

Last edited:
It’s honestly the best time for Nebraska to play OSU. Playing them later in the season would be much worse. We have nothing to lose and they have everything to lose. We hopefully will be fresh with all our players available. I believe our offense can be very dangerous this year.

I have a list of early season Nebraska unknowns that we could discuss, specifically the partially positive impact of losing six starters on defense, but there are surprisingly some serious Ohio State unknowns.

Are there three 2021 first-round picks starting on the 2020 OSU defense like on last year's Buckeyes team?

Will losing defensive coaches Greg Schiano and Jeff Hafley to P5 teams as head coaches impact their defensive continuity early in the season?

Will Justin Fields regress early from his unreal 2019 41/3 TD/INT ratio and 180+ Passer Efficiency Rating?

Is J.K. Dobbins really going to be replaced like a plug and play RB?

Is Ohio State better in early season games under Ryan Day than they were under Urban Meyer (another improbable Stoops to Riley-esque transition)?

These questions exemplify the biggest difference between the Ohio State and Nebraska programs right now - that being that every question relating to Ohio State is asking about regression while every question relating to Nebraska is asking about progression.

Regardless, I have a tepid sense of optimism about 2020 Nebraska, but I think the roughly 96% FPI prediction in favor of Ohio State is fair at this point. That being said, I do believe that it's advantageous for Nebraska to get them in Week 1 in an empty stadium and there's no chance Nebraska is looking past the Buckeyes (even with Wiscy lurking), but anyone think Ohio State might be taking a peak at their Week 2 opponent?
As an OSU fan, let me address some of the "unknowns".

No there are not 3 first round draft picks on this years' defense. Shawn Wade is a first round pick. He is also the only returning starter in our secondary. You don't replace a Chase Young. We have an experienced linebacking group coming back. The good thing is a lot of our 2nd and 3rd string defensive players played a lot of snaps last year in our blowout wins. Now they have to step up in starting roles.

Kerry Coombs is the new DB coach and defensive coordinator. He was Urban's DB coach before he left to coach DBs for the Tennessee Titans. Jeff Hafley did a great job as DB coach last year. He also was co-defensive coordinator with Greg Mattison. Schiano was not part of the coaching staff last year. I'm sure Coombes will rely on Mattison and the other defensive coaches in devising game plans. Personally I don't think the D can be as good as last year but I expect it to be a solid group.

I don't know if Fields can replicate the 41-3 TD/interception ratio he had last year. I do expect him to have another outstanding season. I think the offense can be just as good or even better than last year. We return 3 offensive starters on the line and like the defense our back-up OL played a lot of minutes last year. What I am really excited about is the receiving corp. Day, in some of his recent comments, has raved about the group which includes 4 stand-out freshmen. . It is never easy to replace a J K Dobbins but we have Master Teague coming back who rushed for close to 800 yards last year. He will split time with Trey Sermon, transfer from Oklahoma.

I don't expect us to "regress" too much from last year. The big question I have for Nebraska fans is will your defensive be better than last year? I thought you're linebacking corp. was average at best and the D-line didn't match up well against the better teams in the Big Ten.

Agree, we had them already. We have them every year. Playing them first where they have no game film from the year, in an empty horseshoe. Is better than most other options. Everyone assumes this will be a blowout. We don't need to win, we need to keep it close. We need the players to gain confidence. Confidence that they are able to hang with the best in the country. Do that and yes I think we upset Wisc. Do that and now the confidence and momentum start rolling. Im predicting 5-4 for the year. I really think 7-2 is not insane to think. Ohio St is the only team I feel we have no chance to beat.

Reactions: BleedRed78
As an OSU fan, let me address some of the "unknowns".

No there are not 3 first round draft picks on this years' defense. Shawn Wade is a first round pick. He is also the only returning starter in our secondary. You don't replace a Chase Young. We have an experienced linebacking group coming back. The good thing is a lot of our 2nd and 3rd string defensive players played a lot of snaps last year in our blowout wins. Now they have to step up in starting roles.

Kerry Coombs is the new DB coach and defensive coordinator. He was Urban's DB coach before he left to coach DBs for the Tennessee Titans. Jeff Hafley did a great job as DB coach last year. He also was co-defensive coordinator with Greg Mattison. Schiano was not part of the coaching staff last year. I'm sure Coombes will rely on Mattison and the other defensive coaches in devising game plans. Personally I don't think the D can be as good as last year but I expect it to be a solid group.

I don't know if Fields can replicate the 41-3 TD/interception ratio he had last year. I do expect him to have another outstanding season. I think the offense can be just as good or even better than last year. We return 3 offensive starters on the line and like the defense our back-up OL played a lot of minutes last year. What I am really excited about is the receiving corp. Day, in some of his recent comments, has raved about the group which includes 4 stand-out freshmen. . It is never easy to replace a J K Dobbins but we have Master Teague coming back who rushed for close to 800 yards last year. He will split time with Trey Sermon, transfer from Oklahoma.

I don't expect us to "regress" too much from last year. The big question I have for Nebraska fans is will your defensive be better than last year? I thought you're linebacking corp. was average at best and the D-line didn't match up well against the better teams in the Big Ten.
Thanks for this informative and respectful post. And I think you nailed one of the three areas of concern for Husker fans. Our defense has a lot of new faces on the line. They will be raw and need to play much better than last year’s line did. And yes, our linebackers were lacking last year but we have some young talent there. Time will tell, but we need to be better on defense for sure. Our second area of concern is at QB. Will Martinez return to his Freshman form or will he continue to struggle like last year? The difference this year is we have two excellent back up QB’s who will give him some real competition. Finally, wide receiver. We have two standout guys but nobody proven after that. Some really great incoming talent there but, once again, untested and raw.

We are all just happy to be playing! A big thank you to everyone at OSU for joining with Nebraska to fight for this. Here is to a great game and a Covid free Fall!

Better teams lose better players - always happens with Ohio St. They recruit better than anyone in the B10 so they will be fine. With that said...

Losing both Wade and Arnette is huge blow to their secondary, Fuller as well. Losing the best DE in the nation is a big blow. Harrison was a stud for them and he is gone. I still like their LBs ....either way week 1 their defense will be no where what we saw last year in Lincoln. We should be able to move the ball.

Now, can we stop them? I doubt it but we have enough veteran defensive guys to not get rolled over.

The 2 crossover games are killers however other teams have played both Penn St and Ohio State in the same year.

Bigger question is in year 3 with his scheme and players is anything less than 6 wins a disappointment season?

The 2 crossover games are killers however other teams have played both Penn St and Ohio State in the same year.

Bigger question is in year 3 with his scheme and players is anything less than 6 wins a disappointment season?
That is a good question... Please tell me, how do you do it? When Iowa doesn’t meet your expectations year after year, how do you deal with the disappointment? I gotta tell you, I’ve been struggling these last several years.

Maybe someone like yourself, who has endured a lifetime of disappointment can speak wisdom for us husker fans who are new to this...

TIA.

It's good. I like it. What happens if Nebraska wins? What if Nebraska beats Wisconsin or Penn St. ? It hurts the B1G, and I'm for that right now.
If Nebraska wins one of those three games the BIG is getting what it originally saw and wanted in Nebraska, a team that has swagger and brings up the level of play in BIG West. So far we Huskers have not gotten off the pot.

That is a good question... Please tell me, how do you do it? When Iowa doesn’t meet your expectations year after year, how do you deal with the disappointment? I gotta tell you, I’ve been struggling these last several years.

Maybe someone like yourself, who has endured a lifetime of disappointment can speak wisdom for us husker fans who are new to this...

TIA.

Not sure if you are serious? However as an Iowa fan I go into the season hopefully to win every game, then realistically go game by game. We avoid doing things like saying by such and such a game we should be 6 -0 going into Wisconsin or Penn St. You should try it as it will take the sting out of your 0 - 4 type starts.

Reactions: Hawks56huskers14
Not sure if you are serious? However as an Iowa fan I go into the season hopefully to win every game, then realistically go game by game. We avoid doing things like saying by such and such a game we should be 6 -0 going into Wisconsin or Penn St. You should try it as it will take the sting out of your 0 - 4 type starts.
So as an Iowa fan you don’t look ahead because you’ve been bitten year after year, is that it? You can’t ever expect 6-0 because it’s a pipe dream, huh?

I guess I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. It may hurt from time to time, but darn it, I can’t help but expect to start the season 6-0 or better... we’ve just done it so damn many times. In fact, if memory serves correctly, we’ve started 6-0 more recently than iowa, in 2016... Iowa’s last 6-0 start was 2015, correct? Going on memory here...

So as an Iowa fan you don’t look ahead because you’ve been bitten year after year, is that it? You can’t ever expect 6-0 because it’s a pipe dream, huh?

I guess I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. It may hurt from time to time, but darn it, I can’t help but expect to start the season 6-0 or better... we’ve just done it so damn many times. In fact, if memory serves correctly, we’ve started 6-0 more recently than iowa, in 2016... Iowa’s last 6-0 start was 2015, correct? Going on memory here...
Sad, your constant disappointment must be overwhelming.

Nebraska has one very minor advantage vs. Ohio State and its in the interior of the line of scrimmage when the Huskers have the ball.

Wilson, Jurgens, and Farniok (2 former US All-American 4 Stars, and a 3 Star) will walk onto the field with with 69 combined career starts vs the interior D-line of Ohio State with new projected starters Taron Vincent and Tommy Togiai. Now both those dudes are DUDES. They will be great players at Ohio State. Hell, by mid season, they will even be stars.

But, Nebraska has some interior offensive line talent, and more experience there than any other program Ohio State will face in the regular season.

I also like the matchup for Brendan Jaimes vs. Johnathan Cooper or Tyreke Smith. Brendan will be an NFL player, and Cooper's injury history will likely make him a FA NFL player at best.

Ohio State's best advantage along the line of scrimmage will take place with Bryce Benhart vs. Zach Harrison. Talk about being thrown to the fire. On one hand, Nebraska gets to counter former 5-Star and top 10 National HS recruit with top 100 player Benhart who chose the Huskers over Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. However, this will literally be his first action ever vs. arguably the most talented pass rusher he will see all season.

So.... Nebraska's offensive line will likely have some success opening up holes in the running game vs. Ohio State.

but... that's where everything will end. The only thing that will stop Ohio State's offense is Ohio State. if they execute to their potential, they will drop 45 to 55 on Nebraska. I do think Ryan Day will probably call off the dogs a little early because he likes Frost.

However, if nebraska is moving the ball well on offense, don't expect Ohio State to relent.

Oh.. and Fvck Iowa.

Nebraska has one very minor advantage vs. Ohio State and its in the interior of the line of scrimmage when the Huskers have the ball.

Wilson, Jurgens, and Farniok (2 former US All-American 4 Stars, and a 3 Star) will walk onto the field with with 69 combined career starts vs the interior D-line of Ohio State with new projected starters Taron Vincent and Tommy Togiai. Now both those dudes are DUDES. They will be great players at Ohio State. Hell, by mid season, they will even be stars.

But, Nebraska has some interior offensive line talent, and more experience there than any other program Ohio State will face in the regular season.

I also like the matchup for Brendan Jaimes vs. Johnathan Cooper or Tyreke Smith. Brendan will be an NFL player, and Cooper's injury history will likely make him a FA NFL player at best.

Ohio State's best advantage along the line of scrimmage will take place with Bryce Benhart vs. Zach Harrison. Talk about being thrown to the fire. On one hand, Nebraska gets to counter former 5-Star and top 10 National HS recruit with top 100 player Benhart who chose the Huskers over Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. However, this will literally be his first action ever vs. arguably the most talented pass rusher he will see all season.

So.... Nebraska's offensive line will likely have some success opening up holes in the running game vs. Ohio State.

but... that's where everything will end. The only thing that will stop Ohio State's offense is Ohio State. if they execute to their potential, they will drop 45 to 55 on Nebraska. I do think Ryan Day will probably call off the dogs a little early because he likes Frost.

However, if nebraska is moving the ball well on offense, don't expect Ohio State to relent.

Oh.. and Fvck Iowa.

Well sir, you could be totally correct. However, I most respectfully disagree regarding the blackshirts. They've been actually improving the last couple of years which is something our offense & special teams can't even dream of stating.

Yes, I know the vast majority of posters here always blames Chin for essentially everything......but oh well.....again I disagree. We'll see partner, if we can somehow bring in a vicious Olb or two.....we just might be happy campers. ;)

Reactions: ADV1
Here are my initial positives on playing Ohio State first.
1) It’s a road game but there will be no one in the stands. Will not feel like a road game.
2) Early start, maybe we can catch them still asleep. Just like 2 years ago.
3) We have 5 weeks to prepare for them.
4) We return the majority of our offense, their defense won’t be as strong as last year.
5) Our guys will be going into the game with a chip on their shoulders.

This game could be canceled. Many games have been canceled so far because of covid outbreaks within the team or the visitor's team. All this "chatter" could be a moot point...

if that’s the case I hope we see a little of the power I/Veer look again this year

Reactions: BleedRed78
I love the optimism Penny! But until I see some spark, some reason to be this optimistic, I'm going to settle for reality. Their is always HOPE though! And I HOPE Nebraska goes 9-0 this season and returns to the top!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Buckeyes and Huskers will BOTH be rusty. Fans or not, it is their home. Mighty huskers lose this one. Too much talent top to bottom for the Bucks. :(

Buckeyes and Huskers will BOTH be rusty. Fans or not, it is their home. Mighty huskers lose this one. Too much talent top to bottom for the Bucks. :(

I think we know the Bucks win, but just by how much. IF we keep it real close I think most fans would be thrilled and would love the progress (ALthough this will be a weird season). Just can't get absolutely manhandled. If for some reason we won? I might have a perma-chubby for the year.

My question is - does anyone here think Frost pulls AM if he's struggling (unreasonably) well into the game? Say, by halftime?

I'm personally confident he's going to bounce back like no other. However, if he proves otherwise then I'd love to see McCaffrey get his chance.

Or will Frost stick with his starter loyal to a fault?

Oh.. and Fvck Iowa.

Nice analysis, but all you really needed was the last sentence. ;)

Play them early and without masks. If they are Liberals it's a straight lane to the endzone.

• Haha
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
My question is - does anyone here think Frost pulls AM if he's struggling (unreasonably) well into the game? Say, by halftime?

I'm personally confident he's going to bounce back like no other. However, if he proves otherwise then I'd love to see McCaffrey get his chance.

Or will Frost stick with his starter loyal to a fault?

I agree on this, but for me it can't just be a one game scenario. We as fans think we know what is going on, but there is a lot that happens behind close doors. I think if AM struggles again for 2-3 games, give him the yank, but I don't think it is a one game deal where we yank him unless he is just so god awful you have to 3+ picks or something.

At the end of the day I want to see progress. Not getting blown out by Ohio St. will be the first big step.

ADVERTISEMENT