ADVERTISEMENT

One week after season ends & no coaching news....

I’ll take the 3 star with offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. over the 4 star whose ‘best’ offers are a bunch of middle of the road teams.

total 3* in Neb 2021 class = 17
total 3* in Alabama 2017-2021 (5 years) classes combined = 18

Well, you would be wrong then.
Seriously?

You really think a 3* with offers from schools like Alabama and Ohio State is not a better player (with higher upside) than a 4* with their best offer being a team like Arizona? If yes, then you sir are the wrong that is wrong.

Pretty sure coaches have a better gauge on the players they recruit to their program than the people who rate them for websites.

I gave you link and a quote above, showing that this is not the case at Nebraska.
Again, I’m so very sorry for not realizing that Nebraska was an outlier here. The article from Motley Fool referenced Clemson, Alabama, Wisconsin, and Ohio State as schools where HC salaries were all paid from state taxes since they were public employees, and I suppose I made the wrong assumption in thinking that Nebraska would align with the biggest and most successful college football programs in the country. Shame on me for not realizing our football program was in such a better place financially than everyone else that we could just absorb those costs internally.

I’m interested to know how many they had in Saban’s first 3 years and how many did Dabo have as well in his first 3.

Nick Saban 1st 3 years at Alabama - 84 total recruits (29 3-stars) —- 34%

Scott Frost year 4 — 19 total recruits (17 3-stars) — 89%

Last edited:
Thanks for the research. You gotta admit that Bama has a huge advantage geographically? And Saban was the hottest coach coming from a natty and nfl tenure.

1st 3 years Dabo 65 total recruits (19 3-stars) — 29%

Frost year 4 19 total recruits (17 3-stars) - 89%

Reactions: CatColumbia
How did all the previous assistant firings work out for us under Solich, Pelini, Riley? Produce a lot of titles did they?
All three coaches had loyalty issues and did very little firing or staff reshuffling compared to their peers. In college football, the average (mean) length of an assistant coaching stay is probably around 3 years. The median stop is probably even shorter than that. 3 years is an eternity for assistant coaches to be able to prove themselves. Most of our assistant coaches have done squat in their three years here.

We know that firing somebody and replacing them with somebody just as bad isn't going to help matters. Sticking with guys who can't get it done for continuity's sake is just as foolish. The head coach needs to do a much better job of surrounding himself with the right guys to begin with. And for once Nebraska needs to stop being the stubborn fiscally conservative state it is and go get the very best assistant coaches we can get and pay them top dollar if that's what they're worth. I don't get why we want to spend truckloads of money on recruiting facilities, but when it comes to assembling a coaching staff, we always want to go cheap. Assembling a great coaching staff is about the most surefire way you can have success in college football and we continually refuse to do it.

Reactions: Red I 73
Everyone did not know "what was inevitable" when Callahan was given his extension. They had just come off a very good year and expectations were sky high. They were preseason ranked IF I remember correctly in the top 10. The logic was that they needed to lock Callahan up before he bolted. He had recruited a tremendous amount of talent and the future looked bright. Obviously the meltdown on the defensive side of the ball despite all that talent ruined the logic of the extension.

Miles got little or nothing before he was canned.
That's still no excuse for giving an extension just because the AD was dumb enough to have believed he turned a corner. AD's make pretty good money and I expect them to be good at one of their few real job duties.

Seriously?

You really think a 3* with offers from schools like Alabama and Ohio State is not a better player (with higher upside) than a 4* with their best offer being a team like Arizona? If yes, then you sir are the wrong that is wrong.

Pretty sure coaches have a better gauge on the players they recruit to their program than the people who rate them for websites.

First, it is well documented that "offers" that are listed may or may not be real offers. There is really no way to know for sure. Is it a committable offer or not? They are reported by the player not the school. Schools can offer, committable or not and later pull the offer for whatever reason - grades, trouble, better players, whatever. The player reports an "offer" whether it is valid or not.

Reactions: dinglefritz
1st 3 years Dabo 65 total recruits (19 3-stars) — 29%

Frost year 4 19 total recruits (17 3-stars) - 89%
I’m a realistic husker fan. Just finish top 25 2/3 years. Win the west 1/3 or 4 years. Win the big ten 1/10 years unless Ohio State is just so just so much better. Play in Major bowl (rose, sugar, orange, fiesta) 1/4 years.

we will never be where Saban or dabo are at those schools. We will never be where we were in the 90s. And that’s okay.

That's still no excuse for giving an extension just because the AD was dumb enough to have believed he turned a corner. AD's make pretty good money and I expect them to be good at one of their few real job duties.
Part of it was the recruiting angle. Schools were using the length of Callahan's contract in recruiting battles. IF you look at the length of extension he got and the money he got, it was chump change compared to what we gave Frost right out of the chute to get him here. People were shocked by it just because of how frugal Tom was and how cheaply we hired Frank. Make no mistake, Callahan's contract was not really that big of a contract and with the ways things were starting to inflate I don't think it was out of line. Given the success the year before and the national expectations for Nebraska that year with what we had coming back for talent, it wasn't all that unreasonable to lock him up. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Last edited:
Part of it was the recruiting angle. Schools were using the length of Callahan's contract in recruiting battles. IF you look at the length of extension he got and the money he got, it was chump change compared to what we gave Frost right out of the chute to get him here. People were shocked by it just because of how frugal Tom was and how cheaply we hired Frank. Make no mistake, Callahan's contract was not really that big of a contract and with the ways things were starting to inflate I don't think it was out of line. Given the success the year before and the national expectations for Nebraska that year with what we had coming back for talent, it wasn't all that unreasonable to lock him up. Hindsight is always 20/20.
More excuses for guys making million dollar salaries who don't know how to do their jobs.

I’m a realistic husker fan. Just finish top 25 2/3 years. Win the west 1/3 or 4 years. Win the big ten 1/10 years unless Ohio State is just so just so much better. Play in Major bowl (rose, sugar, orange, fiesta) 1/4 years.

we will never be where Saban or dabo are at those schools. We will never be where we were in the 90s. And that’s okay.

This is why people dont understand the frustration.

I just want to be a bowl team.

So yeah I'm pissed when we turn one down when we have sucked so bad for 3 years we cant get to one.

Its not about just talent. The mentality of this team is a huge concern.

So yeah I'm pissed when we turn one down when we have sucked so bad for 3 years we cant get to one.

I think that’s a reason some of these players voted the way they did. They have never been to a bowl so they don’t know what they are missing out on. Plus I think there are a few who want to prepare for the next level but are probably long shots at the next level. They may have voted to not play their last game ever without even knowing it.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I think that’s a reason some of these players voted the way they did. They have never been to a bowl so they don’t know what they are missing out on. Plus I think there are a few who want to prepare for the next level but are probably long shots at the next level. They may have voted to not play their last game ever without even knowing it.

What's better than putting your talent on film against competition.

What's better than putting your talent on film against competition.
I agree. That’s why I can’t believe they passed up a game. You would think any senior would want more film if they are on the fringe.
I had some former teammates text me over x mas wishing happy holidays. We played 20 years ago. But we would all love 1 more game. Which why i think these guys passing this up will leave some with regrets. Unless they just don’t care as much about competing anymore.

So you're into participation ribbons because that is what going to a bowl this year would have been.

So you're into participation ribbons because that is what going to a bowl this year would have been.
Why? Most of the people on here who are happy not going to a bowl are the same ones saying we would have won 3 non conference games and been 6-6 so that’s bowl eligible. So not a participation trophy but a great opportunity.

I agree. That’s why I can’t believe they passed up a game. You would think any senior would want more film if they are on the fringe.
I had some former teammates text me over x mas wishing happy holidays. We played 20 years ago. But we would all love 1 more game. Which why i think these guys passing this up will leave some with regrets. Unless they just don’t care as much about competing anymore.

Army cares more about football than Frost's team, and Army players don't even go to the NFL.

Why? Most of the people on here who are happy not going to a bowl are the same ones saying we would have won 3 non conference games and been 6-6 so that’s bowl eligible. So not a participation trophy but a great opportunity.
The one thing I would challenge you a bit on, as one of those potential 6-6 guys, is that I absolutely wanted to go bowling. But it’s not my call, and I am not as upset as you and some others are that the guys decided to pull the plug after everything that has gone on this year. I’m not in there shoes. They may have regrets down the road, but it’s their decision and I respect that.

But I absolutely wanted another game, win or lose.

The one thing I would challenge you a bit on, as one of those potential 6-6 guys, is that I absolutely wanted to go bowling. But it’s not my call, and I am not as upset as you and some others are that the guys decided to pull the plug after everything that has gone on this year. I’m not in there shoes. They may have regrets down the road, but it’s their decision and I respect that.

But I absolutely wanted another game, win or lose.
I just don’t get how it’s okay to take the right away for the guys who wanted to play and Frost gave that okay. It’s not right. People had families pay for lawyers to play this year and fought hard for it and some guys were just able to say no thanks? That’s that fair for the guys on the team who wanted to play. I guarantee there are plenty. I get there were 15-20 teams who opted out but I agree with the others who mention this mentality is what got us in this mess. Being like the rest. We are Nebraska and we don’t want to play football? That’s not out identity and deep down you know it.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I just don’t get how it’s okay to take the right away for the guys who wanted to play and Frost gave that okay. It’s not right. People had families pay for lawyers to play this year and fought hard for it and some guys were just able to say no thanks? That’s that fair for the guys on the team who wanted to play. I guarantee there are plenty. I get there were 15-20 teams who opted out but I agree with the others who mention this mentality is what got us in this mess. Being like the rest. We are Nebraska and we don’t want to play football? That’s not out identity and deep down you know it.
What I don’t know is what the guys are feeling after all this time away from family. I agree they should have played. But to say the minority who wanted to play should be a louder voice doesn’t cut the mustard for me.

Yes, you can argue it shows weakness on the part of the players, and I do want Frost to toughen these kids up. I guess I’m not ready to say this is all Frosts fault like some of you are making it out to be.

Reactions: headcard
What I don’t know is what the guys are feeling after all this time away from family. I agree they should have played. But to say the minority who wanted to play should be a louder voice doesn’t cut the mustard for me.

Yes, you can argue it shows weakness on the part of the players, and I do want Frost to toughen these kids up. I guess I’m not ready to say this is all Frosts fault like some of you are making it out to be.
You don’t think Frost persuaded the players thinking a little bit? Did you listen to the post game after Rutgers? He sounded like a coach who was absolutely ready to be done with the season. Which I understand feeling that way to an extent. But it’s like he pre determined this was the last game regardless.
what bothers some of us is he coached UcF in the bowl when he was our head coach. And now as our head coach is turning down bowls? Yes things change and it’s not the end of the world not playing. I think people are just concerned and upset with what he says and then what he does.

You don’t think Frost persuaded the players thinking a little bit? Did you listen to the post game after Rutgers? He sounded like a coach who was absolutely ready to be done with the season. Which I understand feeling that way to an extent. But it’s like he pre determined this was the last game regardless.
what bothers some of us is he coached UcF in the bowl when he was our head coach. And now as our head coach is turning down bowls? Yes things change and it’s not the end of the world not playing. I think people are just concerned and upset with what he says and then what he does.
I don’t think he persuaded the players at all. That doesn’t sound like Frost. The post game press conference for Rutgers didn’t mean he’s shutting it down for the rest of the season. At least not to me.

If players come out and say he quit, then he deserves to be raked over the coals. If that is the case, I would expect some pissed off players (staters, even) who wanted to play to enter the transfer portal. I know Wilson has announced, but that’s it for now. If there’s an exodus of players, that’ll speak quite loudly.

Reactions: headcard
I don’t think he persuaded the players at all. That doesn’t sound like Frost. The post game press conference for Rutgers didn’t mean he’s shutting it down for the rest of the season. At least not to me.

If players come out and say he quit, then he deserves to be raked over the coals. If that is the case, I would expect some pissed off players (staters, even) who wanted to play to enter the transfer portal. I know Wilson has announced, but that’s it for now. If there’s an exodus of players, that’ll speak quite loudly.
I don’t think they will say he quit. I think that word is too harsh. I think it took a toll as I think he thought we would be better this year. I don’t think we will hear much from any players as most wont burn a bridge for stuff like that. Whenever a player enters the transfer portal from any school they usually say “to be closer to home”. If they want immediate eligibility they will mention an incident and say “unforeseen circumstances”. Also, there hasn’t been the best track record of Nebraska players entering the portal and succeeding at other schools so I don’t imagine many will leave.
Bottom line is Frost has coached in 1
Bowl game as head coach at Nebraska. I just think playing in one this year would have bought him another year after next If they lose.

I don’t think they will say he quit. I think that word is too harsh. I think it took a toll as I think he thought we would be better this year. I don’t think we will hear much from any players as most wont burn a bridge for stuff like that. Whenever a player enters the transfer portal from any school they usually say “to be closer to home”. If they want immediate eligibility they will mention an incident and say “unforeseen circumstances”. Also, there hasn’t been the best track record of Nebraska players entering the portal and succeeding at other schools so I don’t imagine many will leave.
Bottom line is Frost has coached in 1
Bowl game as head coach at Nebraska. I just think playing in one this year would have bought him another year after next If they lose.
I agree, they wouldn’t say he quit. I shouldn’t have put it that way. But I wouldn’t be surprised if some guys left in the portal if they were upset about the outcome of the vote. If they really wanted to play, why play for a coach who doesn’t want to play?

I agree, they wouldn’t say he quit. I shouldn’t have put it that way. But I wouldn’t be surprised if some guys left in the portal if they were upset about the outcome of the vote. If they really wanted to play, why play for a coach who doesn’t want to play?
Bunch of nonsense. The team voted. No one is leaving over that. Get a grip.

That's like the little kid with a smile on his face finding a pile of horse dung under the Christmas tree and asked why he smiling. "There's got to be a pony around here somewhere".
Keep on the optimism.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT