ADVERTISEMENT

One week after season ends & no coaching news....

I’m not upset at all, but sometimes it’s impossible to post anything about Husker football on this Husker football message board without people having to chime-in with negativity that exemplifies the current state of their lives. And that’s not a dig at you, just a blanket response.

Maybe when this team improves this board will improve as well.
I agree the negativity in general sucks. I was trying to be positive that we can get better coaches... :)

Give me the elite developer. We have enough coaches to get us top 20 recruiting classes. We don’t have enough coaches to get us a top 20 team on the field.
I posed this question because I think it’s a tough response. On one hand you always hears it’s about the Jimmy’s and Joe’s, not the X’s and O’s, but the flip side of that is without coaches who can seriously develop players it doesn’t really matter if you’re bringing-in 4/5 star talent versus 3 star.

Give me the elite developer of talent and I think that will ultimately result in a better performing (and more consistent) team overall.

Reactions: CatColumbia
It all comes down to recruiting. With only 2 4-stars in this class, looks like NU is hitching its wagon to another bunch of 3 stars and hoping for the best. How's that working so far?

It all comes down to recruiting. With only 2 4-stars in this class, looks like NU is hitching its wagon to another bunch of 3 stars and hoping for the best. How's that working so far?
When it comes to recruiting I don’t think stars are the best measurement of quality, but instead a review of which other schools have offered is often a better indicator of the true talent.

I’ll take the 3 star with offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. over the 4 star whose ‘best’ offers are a bunch of middle of the road teams.

Reactions: scarletred
Frost is getting paid huge sums for the expectations of competing for championships. His coaching performance is just unacceptable. Why is Nebraska always too naive and nice when dealing with bad job performances?
You should just stop paying him if you are so concerned with his salary. Oh wait, you don't really have a say.

And as far as insanity goes, wouldn't you say it is a bit insane to not accept reality? That "unacceptable" is such an overused term.

No matter what you say, think or do, you won't change what happens.

I hate that we suck and that Frost is failing, but I also realize there isn't $hit I can do about it.

You should just stop paying him if you are so concerned with his salary. Oh wait, you don't really have a say.

And as far as insanity goes, wouldn't you say it is a bit insane to not accept reality? That "unacceptable" is such an overused term.

I hate that we suck and that Frost is failing, but I also realize there isn't $hit I can do about it.
Actually, Frost is a state employee therefore our state taxes go towards funding his salary.

Actually, Frost is a state employee therefore our state taxes go towards funding his salary.
And tell me just how that helps you to stop paying him?

I get it, we all with we had more influence. The reality is, we don't.

And tell me just how that helps you to stop paying him?

I get it, we all with we had more influence. The reality is, we don't.
Oh I agree we have no control and/or say in what Frost gets paid, simply stating that we do have a right to complain about it tho since we’re technically the ones funding those checks.

Oh I agree we have no control and/or say in what Frost gets paid, simply stating that we do have a right to complain about it tho since we’re technically the ones funding those checks.
I didn't say we don't have a right, just that it doesn't make a bit of difference.

I try to spend my energy on things I can change.

And rereading my last sentence makes me seem like I have a lithp.

It's all good. If people want to bitch they can feel free.

Which players specifically are in Frost’s ear about making coaching changes and what are they saying to him?
Brendan Stai and Jeremiah Sirles for starters. They've openly criticized some of the coaching on the radio. IF they're willing to do that in public, I can only imagine what Frost is getting from some of his other contemporaries.

Fired after giving extensions when everyone knew what was inevitable.
Everyone did not know "what was inevitable" when Callahan was given his extension. They had just come off a very good year and expectations were sky high. They were preseason ranked IF I remember correctly in the top 10. The logic was that they needed to lock Callahan up before he bolted. He had recruited a tremendous amount of talent and the future looked bright. Obviously the meltdown on the defensive side of the ball despite all that talent ruined the logic of the extension.

Miles got little or nothing before he was canned.

Everyone did not know "what was inevitable" when Callahan was given his extension. They had just come off a very good year and expectations were sky high. They were preseason ranked IF I remember correctly in the top 10. The logic was that they needed to lock Callahan up before he bolted. He had recruited a tremendous amount of talent and the future looked bright. Obviously the meltdown on the defensive side of the ball despite all that talent ruined the logic of the extension.

Miles got little or nothing before he was canned.
a whole bunch of 3 stars and a few 4 stars is just fine. NEB is not going to be Bama or Clemson. If they get the right 3 star dudes they can win the division every year. its not a tough division. at all

Reactions: lazysunday
That isn’t accurate is it? Isn’t the athletic department self-sufficient, where they don’t take any money from the general fund? In fact, I think athletics gives back millions to the University every year.

a whole bunch of 3 stars and a few 4 stars is just fine. NEB is not going to be Bama or Clemson. If they get the right 3 star dudes they can win the division every year. its not a tough division. at all
I think we aspire to more than just winning the division. And we should.

What do you mean by too naive and nice. Were Riley, Pelini, Callahan, Miles, etc not all fired for poor performance?

Way too slow to make staff changes and then to be fired. They were here to coach with their friends, not running a professional staff that demands results.

Reactions: Chuck003
That isn’t accurate is it? Isn’t the athletic department self-sufficient, where they don’t take any money from the general fund? In fact, I think athletics gives back millions to the University every year.
Frost is a public/state employee, and his salary is paid via state tax revenue.

I’m not an accountant but am pretty positive that’s how this works.

Well you are wrong. Here is a rivals article about the finances of the athletic department. Like I said above, football makes a profit and does not take a dime of your tax money.

Once again, Nebraska’s athletic department did not rely on any direct state or other government support, nor did it receive funding from the university at large, or from student fees.

“Nebraska athletics is in a healthy financial position today,” said Jentz. “Due to tremendous fan support and full financial membership in the Big Ten Conference, it is one of the few programs to receive no state, university or student fee dollars, while providing a model student-athlete experience and transferring funds for institutional use.”

That is blatantly false. Frost's salary is not paid in any way shape or form by tax dollars. In fact his salary ends up being a net gain for tax revenues as he has to pay state income tax on his salary which is paid out of football revenue either directly or through the Nebraska Foundation. He also contributes a large sum of money to the state with the property taxes he pays.

Exactly. No one thinks we are gonna be a top team anymore, but we are becoming the Kansas of the Big 10. Frosty and Co deserve every bit of criticism and then some until things change, which I just don’t see happening. It’s not only that he’s been subpar, but I’m concerned this team is very close to completely quitting on him.

Exactly. No one thinks we are gonna be a top team anymore, but we are becoming the Kansas of the Big 10. Frosty and Co deserve every bit of criticism and then some until things change, which I just don’t see happening. It’s not only that he’s been subpar, but I’m concerned this team is very close to completely quitting on him.

What makes think that the players are close to quitting on him?

For the most part he has one of the younger teams in the B1G conference this season..

Reactions: timnsun
That is blatantly false. Frost's salary is not paid in any way shape or form by tax dollars. In fact his salary ends up being a net gain for tax revenues as he has to pay state income tax on his salary which is paid out of football revenue either directly or through the Nebraska Foundation. He also contributes a large sum of money to the state with the property taxes he pays.
My apologies if Nebraska is an exception to the rule, but college coaches at state universities are traditionally paid through state tax income.

From the Motley Fool:

The most surprising fact of all: Because all of these schools are public universities, all of these head coaches are actually public employees. Therefore your tax dollars are going to pay their salaries.

My apologies if Nebraska is an exception to the rule, but college coaches at state universities are traditionally paid through state tax income.

From the Motley Fool:

The most surprising fact of all: Because all of these schools are public universities, all of these head coaches are actually public employees. Therefore your tax dollars are going to pay their salaries.
The Motley Fool obviously doesn't know the details of how the Nebraska job is set up. Football generates not only enough income to pay his salary but also cover all of the other sports that lose money at the University. It also gave millions of dollars to the academic side of the University. You're wrong on this one. While Frost might be considered a state employee, the state or the state's tax dollars do NOT pay his salary.

Reactions: headcard
I do not believe the guy you are replying to is actually a Husker fan. Just sayin.
I absolutely am and went to college there. I’m critical because it’s hard to watch our once dominant program reduced to rubbish. If you don’t like my posts, just ignore them. It’s just an opinion.

Reactions: Chuck003
The Motley Fool obviously doesn't know the details of how the Nebraska job is set up. Football generates not only enough income to pay his salary but also cover all of the other sports that lose money at the University. It also gave millions of dollars to the academic side of the University. You're wrong on this one. While Frost might be considered a state employee, the state or the state's tax dollars do NOT pay his salary.
Appreciate the education - I didn’t realize Nebraska operated outside of the norm when it comes to paying staff.

I absolutely am and went to college there. I’m critical because it’s hard to watch our once dominant program reduced to rubbish. If you don’t like my posts, just ignore them. It’s just an opinion.
You are very critical. When you block viewers from viewing your profile you arouse suspicion. Your posting history from what I can remember is very similar to a couple of Iowa trolls who frequent this site.

You are very critical. When you block viewers from viewing your profile you arouse suspicion. Your posting history from what I can remember is very similar to a couple of Iowa trolls who frequent this site.
The coaches deserve the criticism and I haven’t said anything that’s not rather obvious. When we stop being an embarrassment my tune will change. I can’t stand Iowa and have ripped on them as hard as anyone.

The coaches deserve the criticism and I haven’t said anything that’s not rather obvious. When we stop being an embarrassment my tune will change. I can’t stand Iowa and have ripped on them as hard as anyone.
So unblock your history and profile. Until you do that, I'll consider you a troll.

OK. I got in to your posting history and I will concede that you MIGHT not be a troll but damn man you are one negative SOB.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
So unblock your history and profile. Until you do that, I'll consider you a troll.

OK. I got in to your posting history and I will concede that you MIGHT not be a troll but damn man you are one negative SOB.
Most of it is hyperbole or sarcasm from my view. I’ll try to be more positive.

This whole the team is close to quitting nonsense needs to stop. People just keep saying it and it is totally baseless. The team continues to play their balls off. Look at our last game, kids played hard, yet again.

From the Motley Fool:

I gave you link and a quote above, showing that this is not the case at Nebraska.

Most of it is hyperbole or sarcasm from my view. I’ll try to be more positive.
I understand that many people post on here to vent frustrations. The negativity on here can get pretty malignant. I scrolled back a fair way in your posting history. Not one post that I would have considered a positive or complimentary post about anything related to Husker sports. Granted I didn't go back to the start of the season but damn if somebody can't find something good to say about winning the last game of the season....

I understand that many people post on here to vent frustrations. The negativity on here can get pretty malignant. I scrolled back a fair way in your posting history. Not one post that I would have considered a positive or complimentary post about anything related to Husker sports. Granted I didn't go back to the start of the season but damn if somebody can't find something good to say about winning the last game of the season....
I just said a few posts ago how good I thought Mills was and that it hurts losing him because he would’ve had a huge year next year. I also said with a really good qb this team could turn around quickly and I posted recently that the score against Rutgers didn’t tell the story and that we really kicked their ass. Just block me dude, then you don’t have to worry about anymore.

You have control. Don’t show up to the games or show up and boo. Or get on a message board and spread rumors from a “source”.

When it comes to recruiting I don’t think stars are the best measurement of quality, but instead a review of which other schools have offered is often a better indicator of the true talent.

I’ll take the 3 star with offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. over the 4 star whose ‘best’ offers are a bunch of middle of the road teams.

Well, you would be wrong then.

ADVERTISEMENT