ADVERTISEMENT

One week after season ends & no coaching news....

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
Its been a week since the season ends and a lot of the P5 teams have let go the coaches they feel are not living up to their desired results. Here in Nebraska no news of any staff changes. Does that mean Frost is sticking with his entire staff?

I'll be very surprised if anyone is fired or leaves. Every coach has reasons to give them the benefit of the doubt this year

Seems likely they will roll with the same staff next year, and hope for better results.

Looking at the 2021 schedule, that’s gonna be a difficult task. Not impossible, but difficult.

Only so called a rumor I heard was maybe Greg Austin being replaced...

Again it’s a so called rumor..
Had not heard that. Did hear Mario may be riding off into the sunset.

It is still pretty early. Usually a big rush on coaching changes and transfers after the Holiday/Bowl season.

Last edited:

It is still pretty early. Usually a big rush on coaching changes and transfers after the Holiday/Bowl season.
How dare you post unsubstantiated rumors on this message board! You’re obviously looking to just rile people up!! And it doesn’t matter that you both reiterated multiple times in your posts that this was just a rumor you had heard, it’s still completely irresponsible and you should be ashamed of yourselves for doing such a thing!!! I think I did that right...

I’m obviously being sarcastic :)

Merry Christmas

Its been a week since the season ends and a lot of the P5 teams have let go the coaches they feel are not living up to their desired results. Here in Nebraska no news of any staff changes. Does that mean Frost is sticking with his entire staff?
That's how the big boy programs do it. Nope, not here at Nebraska. We're too good for that apparently. Now that we're in the Big 10, we have to fit in and run our program like Purdue.

I would be surprised if someone on the staff doesn't leave. Just because no one on the staff has been laid off, doesn't mean someone might be trying to catch on at another program.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Acceptance of losing is confirmed. What's the definition of insanity? This staff is a charitable organization.

Reactions: ssmill777
This thread is so funny to me. Because no one has been fired yet:

1 next year will be a losing season
2 we have accepted losing and are fine with it
3 any coaching changes that might happen aren’t firings; they are coaches looking for other opportunities

Merry Christmas everyone.

1) HCSF (and the current staff) would probably be fine without this offense that doesn't work here.
2) Speak for yourself. I and most other posters am not even close to accepting losing.

1) HCSF (and the current staff) would probably be fine without this offense that doesn't work here.
2) Speak for yourself. I and most other posters am not even close to accepting losing.
I’m not the one who said I was. Read the posts. Westcoastcornhusker2 added that gem.

Reactions: Catch50
This thread is so funny to me. Because no one has been fired yet:

1 next year will be a losing season
2 we have accepted losing and are fine with it
3 any coaching changes that might happen aren’t firings; they are coaches looking for other opportunities

Merry Christmas everyone.

Yep, I think the other opportunities and maybe retiring will happen. I don't believe coach Frost is unaware.

Reactions: timnsun

Time will tell but you're right. If it isn't a head coach, there's no need to get in rush to make a change if any is coming. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Most overused phrase.

1) What you’re referring to is not even the definition of insanity.

2) Just because you can’t see changes being made from the outside doesn’t mean they aren’t being made. You can change things without changing coaches.

It is an overused phrase, but what actions have been taken to lead Nebraska to wins?

We can find new ways to lose. If that’s the change you’re looking for then you should be a happy fan. Frost needs to make drastic changes and it starts with him giving up play calling.

Hire someone from Penn State strength and conditioning. They combine old and new school and produce very good results relative to talent. Replace Duval with their number 2 guy

My guess...after signing day. Hoping to see at least 3 coaching changes.

Holla

My guess...after signing day. Hoping to see at least 3 coaching changes.

Holla
You're probably right on the normal timing of coaching changes.

I'm not one to lobby for coaching changes. I do wonder sometime if Mario is bringing the right things to the table. IMO, it appears he may be causing too much paralysis by analysis. IMO, Frost is a smart man with a good football guy for his AD. They can make those decisions. I do think some really smart former players (not Davison) are in their ears about what is going on so IF Frost can't see what might need tweaking, others who he would listen to can.

Hire someone from Penn State strength and conditioning. They combine old and new school and produce very good results relative to talent. Replace Duval with their number 2 guy

I actually like War Daddy. Our offensive (in the run game) and defensive lineman held up well this past year. We no longer get pushed around. I’d say the offensive identity/scheme and special teams has got to get straightened out.

It is an overused phrase, but what actions have been taken to lead Nebraska to wins?

We can find new ways to lose. If that’s the change you’re looking for then you should be a happy fan. Frost needs to make drastic changes and it starts with him giving up play calling.

Frost is getting paid huge sums for the expectations of competing for championships. His coaching performance is just unacceptable. Why is Nebraska always too naive and nice when dealing with bad job performances?

You're probably right on the normal timing of coaching changes.

I'm not one to lobby for coaching changes. I do wonder sometime if Mario is bringing the right things to the table. IMO, it appears he may be causing too much paralysis by analysis. IMO, Frost is a smart man with a good football guy for his AD. They can make those decisions. I do think some really smart former players (not Davison) are in their ears about what is going on so IF Frost can't see what might need tweaking, others who he would listen to can.
Which players specifically are in Frost’s ear about making coaching changes and what are they saying to him?

Frost is getting paid huge sums for the expectations of competing for championships. His coaching performance is just unacceptable. Why is Nebraska always too naive and nice when dealing with bad job performances?
What do you mean by too naive and nice. Were Riley, Pelini, Callahan, Miles, etc not all fired for poor performance?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
How did all the previous assistant firings work out for us under Solich, Pelini, Riley? Produce a lot of titles did they?
There were a few improvements. Bo coming to be a DC helped Solich for a while. And Parella replacing the worthless predecessor on the DL was an improvement. Not necessarily titles.

Fired after giving extensions when everyone knew what was inevitable.
Who does that apply to? Callahan is the only one I can think of. And I still can’t see how Nebraska is naive or nice when it comes to coaches who has fired more football or basketball coaches than us in recent years?

Question:

If you have to pick one, which is the best option for the Huskers right now?

1. An elite recruiter but below average coach/developer of talent.

2. An average recruiter and an average coach/developer of talent.

3. A below average recruiter but an elite coach/developer of talent.

I know everyone wants an elite recruiter/elite coach, but let’s be realistic that we’re not Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State and those guys are not coming here.

Question:

I know everyone wants an elite recruiter/elite coach, but let’s be realistic that we’re not Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State and those guys are not coming here.

Give me the elite developer. We have enough coaches to get us top 20 recruiting classes. We don’t have enough coaches to get us a top 20 team on the field.

Question:

Why not an elite recruiter who is an average coach? Or an above average recruiter and an above average coach? They don’t all fall in the 3 categories you posted here...

Last edited:
Why not an elite recruiter who is an average coach? Or an above average recruiter and an above average coach? They don’t all fall in the 4 categories you posted here...
I never said they did - t’s a theoretical question, nothing more, nothing less.

Sweet Jesus.

I never said they did - t’s a theoretical question, nothing more, nothing less.

Sweet Jesus.
I get it... I’m just saying those choices are incomplete. No offense. I would prefer the best we can possibly get, and I don’t believe it’s fair to say we have to have an average to below average coach in any way.

Sorry I upset you.

Reactions: egaRdeR
I get it... I’m just saying those choices are incomplete. No offense. I would prefer the best we can possibly get, and I don’t believe it’s fair to say we have to have an average to below average coach in any way.

Sorry I upset you.
I’m not upset at all, but sometimes it’s impossible to post anything about Husker football on this Husker football message board without people having to chime-in with negativity that exemplifies the current state of their lives. And that’s not a dig at you, just a blanket response.

Maybe when this team improves this board will improve as well.

ADVERTISEMENT