ADVERTISEMENT

One thing to keep in mind as players transfer out ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
they also open up scholarships and now the new rule is no limit to the number of new scholarships granted in any one year as long as the total is 85 or less. So the more transfers out, the more transfers in there can be from the portal.

they also open up scholarships and now the new rule is no limit to the number of new scholarships granted in any one year as long as the total is 85 or less. So the more transfers out, the more transfers in there can be from the portal.
All I know is our 3 best players from this year were portal guys. QB, RB, WR. Get N or get out. Build it back up.

It is in fact a free for all. I have no doubt that bag men will be very busy over the next few weeks. Hell I would bet money that “recruiting” of high profile players started a few weeks ago.

Correct. It's possible that the scholarship Banks was on is replaced by a 3* offensive lineman that can actually develop into a really good player in a year or two.

Yes, but we brought in about 20 transfers this year. By my calculations, if we can bring in 88 more transfers this year we should be in damn shape next season.
The key of course is being able to evaluate the available players and get the ones that fit your system best. We'll see how good this new staff is at that.

That Linebacker Hausmann was a good player. I wish him well but that one hurts.
Couldn't agree more. Some people will underrate a kid solely because he's an in-state kid, but I'll predict that he'll pretty much have his choice of anywhere he wants to transfer to. The kid can do it all.

Reactions: c3o
It won't be a quick fix. But with the portal you can plug and play some guys quicker than in the old days.
Plug and play if you have the core around you, which there isn’t and it’s not close. Plus, we lose a lot this year and over half the starters next year with very little depth.

Reactions: HBK4life
In general, starters and big-time contributors don't transfer out

He made some athletic plays but was also out of position A LOT. He did very well, especially as a true freshman in the B1G.. however we have to get out of this mindset of loyalty in college football anymore. There is none.

Didn't we just agree to a $74MM, 8 year new head coach? Better get his ass to work.

The coaching change was made, then the former interim who was tight with a lot of players apparently choked his wife. Things are weird and we’re just watching it play out. Slow the roll on assigning motives to the actions.

Every offseason is going to be wild from now on. Players are going to leave but we can get some good players in the portal too. Plenty to sell and a good NIL program of our own.
The current NIL setup is untenable in the long run. It may go on like this for a few years but something has to change due to the chaos. Somewhere there's a middle ground between the NCAA and colleges ripping student athletes off on NIL and the student athletes becoming free agents. The opportunities for abuse are just so glaring.

The current NIL setup is untenable in the long run. It may go on like this for a few years but something has to change due to the chaos. Somewhere there's a middle ground between the NCAA and colleges ripping student athletes off on NIL and the student athletes becoming free agents. The opportunities for abuse are just so glaring.
That genie is out of the bottle, and she's not going back in. It's just going to be continued portal/NIL craziness until the "college football" farce eventually morphs into a developmental/minor league to the NFL.

Seems current players may have incentive to go portaling in an attempt to lure NIL money to keep them here (a transfer blackmail threat of sorts).
The NIL groups may not be focusing on retention of the current roster, when really that needs to be a big part of the new equation.

Guessing the Garrett Nelsons out there are going to be more embittered when they outperform the hot shots that transferred in making a hefty salary compared to their relative pennies.
Are the NIL handlers taking for granted what they think they already have?
Hausmann isn’t that likely to get bigger deals out of most schools that would be interested in him (based on my naive opinion) compared to what Nebraska NIL could offer if they felt they needed to pony up.

Strange times.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT