ADVERTISEMENT

One thing that sucks about 2016...

Egregious Error

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 6, 2009
Is that we will have what can pretty much objectively be considered our best receiving corps in school history and have either a turnover machine or true freshman at QB. Makes me a bit nauseous just thinking about it.

How nice would it be to have either Zac Taylor as a sophomore or Joe Ganz as a junior (i.e., not even in their prime). Sure, it's within the realm of theoretical possibility that the light will suddenly come on for Tommy or Patrick O'Brien will be the second coming of Dan Marino and light it up as a true freshman, but either scenario is unlikely.

Reactions: timnsun
Is that we will have what can pretty much objectively be considered our best receiving corps in school history and have either a turnover machine or true freshman at QB. Makes me a bit nauseous just thinking about it.

How nice would it be to have either Zac Taylor as a sophomore or Joe Ganz as a junior (i.e., not even in their prime). Sure, it's within the realm of theoretical possibility that the light will suddenly come on for Tommy or Patrick O'Brien will be the second coming of Dan Marino and light it up as a true freshman, but either scenario is unlikely.

I'm glad you posted this. I've felt the same way for the last 8 years. To have the weapons we've had at WR and not a capable QB to throw to them is criminal. I'm really hoping that we're checking out JUCO QBs. I asked about Zach Martin in another thread yesterday. Where the heck does Washington State and Texas Tech find all these QBs?? We should start looking there lol.

As many have suggested, if Tommy hasn't changed in his first three seasons, it's unlikely he will have the light turn on next year. It will be up to the coaches to make the most out of what he has. This is no easy task, but that's why they are paid what they are paid.

I think the only way POB sees the field is if Tommy is injured. I think for team chemistry sake, you just can't bench the starting QB with 3 years experience. He's a team leader and benching him could have other circumstances. Any chance he would be able to play RB? It seems to be a spot that we're a bit weak at.

As many have suggested, if Tommy hasn't changed in his first three seasons, it's unlikely he will have the light turn on next year. It will be up to the coaches to make the most out of what he has. This is no easy task, but that's why they are paid what they are paid.

I think the only way POB sees the field is if Tommy is injured. I think for team chemistry sake, you just can't bench the starting QB with 3 years experience. He's a team leader and benching him could have other circumstances. Any chance he would be able to play RB? It seems to be a spot that we're a bit weak at.

Damon Benning had some interesting things to say about this yesterday. He wondered if team chemistry may be better if you sit Armstrong. He questioned if TA has bought in to Riley, or if he ever will. Body language between him and Langs was terrible at the Iowa game, Benning said he felt embarrassed by it as an alum. Could TA be one of those players we've heard about with the crappy attitude?

Damon Benning had some interesting things to say about this yesterday. He wondered if team chemistry may be better if you sit Armstrong. He questioned if TA has bought in to Riley, or if he ever will. Body language between him and Langs was terrible at the Iowa game, Benning said he felt embarrassed by it as an alum. Could TA be one of those players we've heard about with the crappy attitude?
Whatever his attitude towards coaches he has a bad one in an important way. He keeps gong back to playground ball; in spite of what two top qb coaches are teaching him. The World Herald covered this well over the weekend. He seems to not learn; we relive his glaring mistakes at least part of every game it seems. He showed signs of better coaching early, but reverts back. Great physical talent; I had high hopes he would take a big leap with these coaches. Bad team attitude for anyone should buy some binch time IMO

The way I see it is the best player plays, and if it isn't that mentality then the coaches/players that look at it differently can look elsewhere. It is not about hurting feelings, it is about winning games. I'm just sick of the 3 year starter bull crap. We are sitting at 5-7, does it really matter if a freshman has blunders it can't be much worse than what we see now!

I was chatting with a friend about this earlier. Next year's schedule is pretty brutal. It certainly can't get worse than it is now. If POB has a good up side after spring ball, then why not.

I was chatting with a friend about this earlier. Next year's schedule is pretty brutal. It certainly can't get worse than it is now. If POB has a good up side after spring ball, then why not.
Tommy looked like he improved at the beginning of the year and then regressed. We can't have a quarterback regress. Tommy is Tommy and no coaching is going to fix what is inside his head. The players that complain that he is not the starter(If he clearly is not better than O'Brien or any other quarterback) they can GTFO! That mindset need to be gone. You play your hardest and let the coaches worry about who plays and who doesn't!

Reactions: Crushinator
My personal opinion is that Tommy has not bought in to the system. I've seen it in multiple games but none so obviously as the Iowa game. At times it just seems like he's not playing very hard at others he seems like a warrior but its the plays he takes off that really hurt us. His decision making is aweful but more importantly he seems so hesitant to run the ball and when he does he frequently doesn't appear to run very hard.

Now who was it that said something just like this about 5-6 games ago? Wait, it'll come to me...Oh yeah, it was me.

We had a corner who graduated last year (Mitchell???) who went off on everyone after he graduated and Bo got the boot, I thought, and said, that's TA, only TA has more eligibility so he won't go all suicide bomber about it like Mitchell did. When TA got into a facebook or twitter war (can't remember which) with a fan hours before our game with USC last year, that was the final straw for me. Nebraska doesn't owe him a damn thing anymore, either get with the program or get on the first bus out of town. I guarantee he has free-lanced this year and flat out ignored coaches orders and it has cost us. BYU game ring any bells? You think he wasn't told multiple times to stop hiking the ball with so much time left? Game where a run was called late, and he passed it and cost us that game as well? These are just two examples, but it seemed painfully obvious to me he's been doing his own thing back there because he isn't fully on board.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Now who was it that said something just like this about 5-6 games ago? Wait, it'll come to me...Oh yeah, it was me.

We had a corner who graduated last year (Mitchell???) who went off on everyone after he graduated and Bo got the boot, I thought, and said, that's TA, only TA has more eligibility so he won't go all suicide bomber about it like Mitchell did. When TA got into a facebook or twitter war (can't remember which) with a fan hours before our game with USC last year, that was the final straw for me. Nebraska doesn't owe him a damn thing anymore, either get with the program or get on the first bus out of town. I guarantee he has free-lanced this year and flat out ignored coaches orders and it has cost us. BYU game ring any bells? You think he wasn't told multiple times to stop hiking the ball with so much time left? Game where a run was called late, and he passed it and cost us that game as well? These are just two examples, but it seemed painfully obvious to me he's been doing his own thing back there because he isn't fully on board.
If this is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, the coaches should have sat him until he changed. Talk about sabotaging your chance to play at the next level...

Reactions: baseball31ne
So basically this thread is saying, since there is no other QB to really challenge TA, he's holding the coaches hostage over what they want to do, vs. what he wants to do, because he's butt hurt over the firing of Bo.

Seems plausible, but it's short sided by TA if that's the case. He can certainly get away with that in year one, but I don't think the coaches will allow that to happen in year two.

I would be more inclined to believe that TA has known for a long time that he doesn't fit with what they want to do, and his play or deviation from what they want, has more to do with acting out of desperation to prove his worth to the staff, which only worsens things in their eyes.

I really think it's TA just being desperate to hold on to his job, so he's taking unnecessary risks, and it's actually working against him.

Feel sorry for the kid, as he didn't ask for all this change, but that's the way life is sometimes.

From the coaches point of view, they are trying to get things done, and they have an important figure on the team seemingly working against them, even if that is not TA's intent. You deal with it to get through the year, but in the back of your mind, you're already thinking of ways to rectify the situation for the future, and that means someone else taking those reigns.

Damon Benning also alluded to the Purdue game as being an attempt by coaches to move to a different QB, even though it was sold to every one as TA having an injury. There is no proof of this, but in his opinion, the injury thing was actually the least likely scenario of several on why TA did not travel with the team.

When you have this kind of relationship between your QB and the coaching staff, even if it's not what was intended by either party, this is how we end up 5-7. The coaches know that this isn't going to fly next year.

Reactions: timnsun and jteten
ThIs thread is loaded with conjecture. I, like everyone else, have seen the incredible inconsistency on the field by Tommy. It's maddening. Now, all of the sudden, the narrative is shifting to his attitude and relationship with the coaching staff? We don't know anything about his attitude. You what we do know? Tommy plays his tail off. Doesn't appear to pout about poor play on the sideline. Never throws up his arms and gives up. Took the blame for that Iowa loss.

If we are going to work over our QB, let's go ahead and stick with what we know and that is his inconsistency behind center.

Last edited:
ThIs thread is loaded with conjecture. I, like everyone else, has seen the incredible inconsistency on the field by Tommy. It's maddening. Now, all of the sudden, the narrative is shifting to his attitude and relationship with the coaching staff? We don't know anything about his attitude. You what we do know? Tommy plays his tail off. Doesn't appear to pout about poor play on the sideline. Never throws up his arms and gives up. Took the blame for that Iowa loss.

If we are going to work over our QB, let's go ahead and stick with what we know and that is his inconsistency behind center.

This. Hope it's fixable. I think our offense and TA by extension would benefit from a stouter running game.

If POB has a terrific spring, then you have a talk with TA about moving to the slot (worked out for OSU). There is no way TA is going to QB in the NFL, so if he wants to play at that level it is going to be as a slot receiver anyway. If he is truly a team player and if he wants to improve his chances of getting to the NFL, it is a no brainer. It can be sold as giving him what is best for a shot in the NFL. Heck if DPE can't make it back on the field, maybe TA will turn out to be a great returner. Of course, if neither POB or the kid from IWCC is ready yet, then you really don't have any choice but to take another go around with TA on the old Zambezi Zinger.

I don't think Tommy has maxed out. He can get better. I almost viewed him as a true freshman this past season. He had to learn basics like throwing a screen pass (and he still needs work there...) and throwing timing routes. I think he's made a lot of progress in his passing, but the interceptions overwhelm that. He could still make another leap this next season and turn into a top QB. I hold out hope.
My biggest concern about Tommy (besides the turnovers) is his accuracy. Hopefully POB comes in and challenges him, and Tommy rises to the challenge. I'd like to see him succeed. If he can't fix the turnovers, then we may have to suffer the growing pains of a true freshman QB.

You're onto something here. There's swagger and there is undeserved arrogance--two different things.
Benning is accurate...it wouldn't hurt team chemistry.

I think if anyone believes TA can be a top notch QB in 2016, u r suffering from battered wife syndrome.

All good relationships r based on trust & respect, TA has made double sure this won't ever happen.

I really believe he will be elsewhere in 2016, I will be shocked & highly disappointed if he is back?

Foreman this morning reiterated what everyone knows but doesn't admit in his interview with Benning, TA is likely to start all 12 game next season.

Doesn't mean POB won't play Foreman reiterated, but he's just saying POB is likely not Marino.

I think if anyone believes TA can be a top notch QB in 2016, u r suffering from battered wife syndrome.

All good relationships r based on trust & respect, TA has made double sure this won't ever happen.

I really believe he will be elsewhere in 2016, I will be shocked & highly disappointed if he is back?
There is zero reason to believe that statement. Regardless of what you think about TA, he is a returning senior that has shown signs of getting it. TA will have a great receiving corp, a full camp and a year of experience under the new system, and an incredible lead in any possible QB competition. Not to mention that he is also human being with friends, teammates, school and a life in Lincoln. You can be disappointed all you want, but there is little to no reason to believe that TA will not be under center next year. Frankly, I shutter at the thought of handing the keys over to a freshman or any other backup that has no skins on the wall. I assure you, the backs and receivers feel the same way.

Foreman this morning reiterated what everyone knows but doesn't admit in his interview with Benning, TA is likely to start all 12 game next season.

Doesn't mean POB won't play Foreman reiterated, but he's just saying POB is likely not Marino.

Ugggh. Hello 5-7 again, and questions about MR's ability to turn this thing around if it happens....but I agree, that is the most likely scenario.

Ugggh. Hello 5-7 again, and questions about MR's ability to turn this thing around if it happens....but I agree, that is the most likely scenario.

Well, even if O'Brien were to start half the year or later in the year, depending on how the season goes, its not like he'd give us a chance at a playoff with a couple of losses on the docket before he takes the helm.

Well, even if O'Brien were to start half the year or later in the year, depending on how the season goes, its not like he'd give us a chance at a playoff with a couple of losses on the docket before he takes the helm.

Who in their right mind thinks this is a playoff team anyway? Seriously. It's a given it's going to be tough sledding next year because of that all important QB position anyway, but I would feel like we're at least building for the future if somebody could beat TA out. What do we gain letting him start another 12 or 13 games? Then we'd just be starting over again the following year.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Who in their right mind thinks this is a playoff team anyway? Seriously. It's a given it's going to be tough sledding next year because of that all important QB position anyway, but I would feel like we're at least building for the future if somebody could beat TA out. What do we gain letting him start another 12 or 13 games? Then we'd just be starting over again the following year.

100% agree with this. If POB is the future, and he beats out TA then why not start him and build from there. I'm not at practice, so I don't know how backs and receivers feel. But if a new QB is better and turns it over less, I'm guessing that their attitudes will turn around pretty quickly.

100% agree with this. If POB is the future, and he beats out TA then why not start him and build from there. I'm not at practice, so I don't know how backs and receivers feel. But if a new QB is better and turns it over less, I'm guessing that their attitudes will turn around pretty quickly.
Rido.

If POB (or a Juco) in on par with TA next year, let them start instead and build for the future.

I mentioned before, and I'm not sure what thread, but the difference between a little near term security and next season as a "make or break" in terms of the QB decisions would seem to play a big role in how folks are evaluated.

If Riley has to do something big next year to keep his job, I'm not sure he just tells Husker nation he's going to O'Brien on a complete rebuild and take his chances. He might hope that this offseason TA gets a few plays better a game.

If Riley knows that a third or fourth year is in the bag, I think he'll be more inclined to take more chances at a complete rebuild instead of a half cocked "win now" hybrid type of deal.

It is possible that O'Brien is really dang good and wins 8 games for us if he starts 12, but its also possible that just throwing O'Brien to the lions may net us a worse year than this year. Riley's got a lot riding on that proposition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT