ADVERTISEMENT

One more time... Lake Ashland

Hey the Democrats love to blow money. Have the Dems include the cost of the Reservoir in the next stimulus package.

Lol. In all seriousness, I think the reservoir would be a no brainer from a financial perspective. Just the 19 flood had an estimated 2 billion in damages.

If they really went big, you’d have people coming from Omaha, Lincoln, KC, Iowa... Place would be an absolute cash cow from a tourism/entertainment perspective. I understand that’s not everyone’s scene, but there are plenty of other spots in Nebraska for a more laid back atmosphere.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Lol. In all seriousness, I think the reservoir would be a no brainer from a financial perspective. Just the 19 flood had an estimated 2 billion in damages.

If they really went big, you’d have people coming from Omaha, Lincoln, KC, Iowa... Place would be an absolute cash cow from a tourism/entertainment perspective. I understand that’s not everyone’s scene, but there are plenty of other spots in Nebraska for a more laid back atmosphere.

And as a result not do dick to mitigate flooding. Half the reason that these floods have done so much damage in the last 10+ years is that projects completed in the name of flood control have been hijacked by recreation and environmental interests. Call it what it is and go get a loan if it’s such a cash cow.

The damn thing would be so crowded I'd never use it. But I'm all for it from an economic standpoint. It would draw people from using some of the other places that I'd continue to use. So win-win. It would be astronomically expensive from a land acquisition perspective.

Do you have any idea what it would cost to pay off the owners of all the condemned land, including all the existing high $$$$$ houses on Ashland area lakes? And then you still have to build the dam.

Reactions: bomber89
And as a result not do dick to mitigate flooding. Half the reason that these floods have done so much damage in the last 10+ years is that projects completed in the name of flood control have been hijacked by recreation and environmental interests. Call it what it is and go get a loan if it’s such a cash cow.

Can you give an example? I haven’t heard of anything like that happening but haven’t followed too closely. Admittedly I’m more invested in the recreational side of things, but I’d think there would be no reason you couldn’t combine the two.

Do you have any idea what it would cost to pay off the owners of all the condemned land, including all the existing high $$$$$ houses on Ashland area lakes? And then you still have to build the dam.

Sometimes you’ve got to spend money to make money my friend. But yes, would be a multi-billion dollar project. Still think you’d be profiting rather quickly off it even so.

I think the big example of flood control reservoirs not serving their purpose is the Missouri river reservoir system. Pretty obvious failures there over the last decade or more. Spring flood control has seemed to fall below commercial navigation, protected species management and recreational uses on the scale of priorities.

Sometimes you’ve got to spend money to make money my friend. But yes, would be a multi-billion dollar project. Still think you’d be profiting rather quickly off it even so.
Who’s money? Very few new dams are built in the US due to total cost and all the environmental hurdles. Priority needs to be better management of present dams and River systems. Poor forecasting of snowmelt by Army Corp of Engineers on upper Missouri system has cost billions of dollars. Bomba cyclone in 2019 was a terrible tragedy due to the entire River system still frozen. Not sure a lake as far southeast as Ashland would have helped much.

Reactions: Kenny Fin Powers
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Hell yeah. I’m pretty sure my house would end up being lake front. Of course, if they approved it today, I’d be 80 before it was done.

Then let some private developer pony it up. Then when it goes 4x over budget the public isn’t stuck with the bill

This should have been done 10 years ago when it was brought up the first time. I feel like TO waved his hand and said something to get it stopped but I could be wrong.

This would be a brilliant idea, bring in tons of money, be a great time for so many people.

Plus, girls love boats and water :)

This should have been done 10 years ago when it was brought up the first time. I feel like TO waved his hand and said something to get it stopped but I could be wrong.

Actually, this idea was first floated in the 60s, if not before that, and again halfway seriously considered after the ice jams and flooding in 1972. But, there was simply no political will to take it on - particularly given it would have required Lincoln to relocate its city wells around Ashland. Although MUD did not have wells in the Platte Valley at that time, it had its sights on the stretch of Southwestern Douglas County for city water even then. Now, with both Lincoln and MUD having extensive wells that would be flooded by the lake, it will never happen.

As a weather geek I will say you will never see flooding like we saw last year. It was the perfect storm with snow depth, frozen ground, warm temps, high winds, and inches of rainfall on top of that. As for the dam, I've been saying for decades that instead of rebuilding after ever major flood since 93 that they should build a reservoir instead of paying out billions every time. My thought was more about the Missouri near Rulo to act as another flood control lake much like what South Dakota has. As someone who has a place at Lake McConaughy, I'd love a big lake in Eastern Nebraska too seeing what it would bring to the economy. Interstates could be rerouted to on top of the ridges and those with million dollar homes by Ashland on the sand pits could be guaranteed prime lots ($200-250k lots) on the new lake and throw them money of top of it to build too. Get r done.

As a weather geek I will say you will never see flooding like we saw last year. It was the perfect storm with snow depth, frozen ground, warm temps, high winds, and inches of rainfall on top of that. As for the dam, I've been saying for decades that instead of rebuilding after ever major flood since 93 that they should build a reservoir instead of paying out billions every time. My thought was more about the Missouri near Rulo to act as another flood control lake much like what South Dakota has. As someone who has a place at Lake McConaughy, I'd love a big lake in Eastern Nebraska too seeing what it would bring to the economy. Interstates could be rerouted to on top of the ridges and those with million dollar homes by Ashland on the sand pits could be guaranteed prime lots ($200-250k lots) on the new lake and throw them money of top of it to build too. Get r done.

Who is paying out the billions when it floods?

Who is paying out the billions when it floods?

I'm sure insurance for personal property. When you have cities completely submerged for months and highways/interstates completely ruined and needing to be replaced, that has to fall on government funding to repair the mess of rebuilding the infrastructure. I'm sure FEMA plays a huge role too.

It's kinda like New Orleans. Every time this city that is partially below sea level floods, the local politicians come out and say "we will rebuild stronger than ever". Did you ever think about just giving in to mother nature, and maybe looking elsewhere? Uphill?

ADVERTISEMENT