ADVERTISEMENT

One man's theory on staff hires...and Arkansas

For you sunshine pumpers, because Alvy played at Nebraska in a long ago era-

Record 119-74-4
Big Ten Record 64-61-3

For you sunshine pumpers, because Alvy played at Nebraska in a long ago era-

Record 119-74-4
Big Ten Record 64-61-3
I don't doubt that Wisconsin could end up with 2 conference losses by the time it's over this year including the title game. With the split divisions it makes it a bunch easier for them to get through the regular season than it used to be with only a couple of losses. They were picked to win the west and a lot of that is the continuity in system they've had since Alvarez. Alvarez laid the foundation with those 3 and 4 conference loss seasons and their administration was smart enough to let him ride with that. I'm hoping long term for better than that for NU. We'll see.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
PREFACE...I have no hard intel on this, just an interesting connect-the-dots idea.

Allegedly there are SEC ADs interested in the Husker job.

Searching "Nebraska AD" on twitter today yielded the name Jeff Long at Arkansas. He looks to be well connected and has a pretty strong bio.

If Jeff Long is hired at Nebraska, how would fans feel about him bringing Boss Hog with him? More pragmatically, would you prefer Riley over Bielema at this point? Could we overlook Bielema's personality for a return to physical, run-based football? Conventional wisdom suggests BB was on Eichorst's short list the last go-around. Did BB want to be here then only to have negotiations get messed up?

Another twist to this theory is that there's probably a good chance Bielema would retain Diaco since Arkansas was going after him too. Ideally that then keeps Donte Williams and his recruits.

Thoughts???
Bielema can come be our OL coach other wise we don't need Arkansas trash including the AD.

Reactions: Wasker77
Football Scoop again mentioning Jeff Long from Arkansas - along with Pollard from ISU and Mullens from Oregon. Not sure why Mullens would leave Oregon but that would seem to be a good hire. I just don't see the appeal of Jeff Long, though....he's the one that gave Bert a big contract and Arkansas fans want him gone.

Football Scoop again mentioning Jeff Long from Arkansas - along with Pollard from ISU and Mullens from Oregon. Not sure why Mullens would leave Oregon but that would seem to be a good hire. I just don't see the appeal of Jeff Long, though....he's the one that gave Bert a big contract and Arkansas fans want him gone.

Pollard is a former assistant at Wisconsin. Hope we are not relying on Barry for endorsement. Pollard basically drove the Mayor out of ISU the way he micromanaged. On a cyclone trip to Hawaii, Pollard over ruled a hotel stay after a late game on the islands and instead had the team go to the airport and stretch out on the floor.

If this happens you heard it here first! :cool: All quiet on the UCF AD at this point...

Pollard is a former assistant at Wisconsin. Hope we are not relying on Barry for endorsement. Pollard basically drove the Mayor out of ISU the way he micromanaged. On a cyclone trip to Hawaii, Pollard over ruled a hotel stay after a late game on the islands and instead had the team go to the airport and stretch out on the floor.

Pollard already came out and said he's not a candidate. I'm guessing Football Scoop is just throwing darts here - didn't they say Bielema was interested in our coaching job the day before we hired Riley? The Arkansas athletic department must be leaking these rumors to make it seem like they are in high demand.

Actually our state newspaper did some digging and the reported $15 million buyout for Bielema is false...it's only $6 million. So not as crazy of a contract as we first thought. Think he'll be gone after this year after hearing that.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Actually our state newspaper did some digging and the reported $15 million buyout for Bielema is false...it's only $6 million. So not as crazy of a contract as we first thought. Think he'll be gone after this year after hearing that.

Interesting. Who do you think would be the top candidates to replace Bielema?

I would hope if Long gets hired he would be smart enough not to bring Bielema with him considering he would have to fire him more likely if he stays at Arkansas.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Interesting. Who do you think would be the top candidates to replace Bielema?

Well I think the fans want a spread coach with more connections to the south this time. Won't happen but I've seen some mention Leach. If long is still here making the hire then it will probably come out of nowhere, he seems to like the splashy hires like Petrino and Bielema were. Jeff Brohm is a Petrino disciple so he's pretty popular with fans too.

Mike Norvell is a guy with Arkansas connections that I could see being a good fit but he's still pretty early into his career at Memphis. Justin Fuente is from just down the road in Tulsa but I can't see him leaving VT.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the coaching carousel

Well I think the fans want a spread coach with more connections to the south this time.

Pretty sure B. Cally's first game (spring game?) got a huge roar from the crowd after the first pre-snap shift/motion pass play. This makes me think that Husker fans were tired of the run (to a point) and wanted to a good passing offense at that point in time.

I completely agree that this fan base would want a spread offense coach, seeing how the two pro-style coaches haven't done great. An offense that uses a lot of RPO seems to work well for some schools.

I am on the band wagon for trying a spread attack, as it seems to be what the majority of colleges are running nowadays and it can be difficult to stop when it is physical and/or fast. Who knows if it would work at Nebraska but I bet we see it work tomorrow night in Lincoln, even with the chance of high winds and rain.

Pretty sure B. Cally's first game (spring game?) got a huge roar from the crowd after the first pre-snap shift/motion pass play. This makes me think that Husker fans were tired of the run (to a point) and wanted to a good passing offense at that point in time.

I completely agree that this fan base would want a spread offense coach, seeing how the two pro-style coaches haven't done great. An offense that uses a lot of RPO seems to work well for some schools.

I am on the band wagon for trying a spread attack, as it seems to be what the majority of colleges are running nowadays and it can be difficult to stop when it is physical and/or fast. Who knows if it would work at Nebraska but I bet we see it work tomorrow night in Lincoln, even with the chance of high winds and rain.
I absolutely HATE the look at me QB getting play signaled in pre-snap from the sideline crap. I like an offense that can move the ball with a drop back passer when it needs to but even some of the pros are going to some spread option. I love a mobile QB who can create, but without that give me a guy that makes good decisions and is accurate with the pass and can get us in the right play at the LOS. We have to hope we can stop OSU's run game because Barrett is terrible in drop back situations.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT