ADVERTISEMENT

Once the outrage settles...

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
Once the outrage cools, I think it will be clear what the realities are:
1. Frost is our man for the long term. He needs to mature and gain wisdom.
2. Frost needs to give up play calling, and we need to bring in assistants who can help mold Frost. When you surround yourself with buddies as Frost has done, you lack the kind of critical and honest assessment needed to fix problems.
3. Behind-the-scenes guys are detrimental to the program. A prime example is Frost's buddy from Wood River who I hear is a real negative influence on the team. A real jerk. I know Fidone's parents can't stand him, and it could lead to him de-committing. Change starts here.
4. The Big 10 doesn't hate Nebraska. For one, "the Big 10" is not a single mind. If you believe all the administrators, coaches, and referees in the Big 10 hate Nebraska, then you should be asking yourself why. People who are hated by everyone are called villains.
5. We have a deficit at the skill positions, and no relief in the 2021 class (not talking TE). We need to hit the transfer market hard. Wan'Dale and Betts are legit, Mills is serviceable, Luke, Alante and Martin are possible, but the rest do not inspire much hope once you ignore all the recruiting and spring practice hype. In fact, it seems to be a steep drop off.
6. We are not terrible. AM is above average. The defense is above average, or at least no worse than average. Kicking is more-or-less fixed. Now for a running game, a smarter game, a better plan of attack, better play calls, better culture, and better development.

2. Frost needs to give up play calling, and we need to bring in assistants who can help mold Frost. When you surround yourself with buddies as Frost has done, you lack the kind of critical and honest assessment needed to fix problems.
3. Behind-the-scenes guys are detrimental to the program. A prime example is Frost's buddy from Wood River who I hear is a real negative influence on the team. A real jerk. I know Fidone's parents can't stand him, and it could lead to him de-committing. Change starts here.
4. The Big 10 doesn't hate Nebraska. For one, "the Big 10" is not a single mind. If you believe all the administrators, coaches, and referees in the Big 10 hate Nebraska, then you should be asking yourself why. People who are hated by everyone are called villains.
5. We have a deficit at the skill positions, and no relief in the 2021 class (not talking TE). We need to hit the transfer market hard. Wan'Dale and Betts are legit, Mills is serviceable, Luke, Alante and Martin are possible, but the rest do not inspire much hope once you ignore all the recruiting and spring practice hype. In fact, it seems to be a steep drop off.
6. We are not terrible. AM is above average. The defense is above average, or at least no worse than average. Kicking is more-or-less fixed. Now for a running game, a smarter game, a better plan of attack, better play calls, better culture, and better development.
If things don’t change, Frost is not our coach for the long term...no chance. Unless you’re talking long term as in one (“possibly two”) more years.

Reactions: blackbones
I somewhat agree with a lot of this, and appreciate the take.
1. Everyone talks about Frost’s play-calling, but I thought the HOL guys were saying Lubick’s been calling plays.
2. I think “some” of the skill position deficit is not skill but development (coaching).
3. AM is not above average. He’s simply a kid with a good attitude who had potential but has become a total disappointment. He can run pretty well, but his QBR is ranked #60, his throws are awful, etc etc.

I actually just went back and did cut ups of the Minnesota game focusing on his missed throws, and it’s not pretty... and typical on the year.

A lot of blame for today’s result, but I’m convinced a different QB (like 59+ others) win the game.

Your last sentence is telling and I agree ... you could have been more brief though and say we need better coaching in all areas with the University of Nebraska football program. Maybe Frost can do it but it would be a miracle given his body of work over 31 games in Lincoln.

1. Probably
2. Absolutely
3. What? And Fidone isn’t going anywhere, he’s signing Wednesday.
4. LOL. Yes, yes they do Big Time. How much more evidence could you possibly need?
5. Yes
6. We always find a way to lose and AM is a terrible passer.

But really just tell us more about #3

Reactions: SkerInCo
Let me understand your post here....we are paying a guy $5 mil per year who needs to mature and gain wisdom? I agree with the the assistants....and if Frost has a jerk buddy who has any influence at all and any contact with the team...that is another reason to fire Frost because he obviously has no control....and I thought that the superior recruiting that we are supposedly getting would have sort of fixed the talent gap that is such a crutch excuse and has been ever since Frost arrived (that and "culture"). It all boils down to what the hell are we paying an elite coach salary to a high school coach he can't seem to run a team at this level...and also his buddies?

Regarding # 4, if the Big 10 does hate Nebraska it’s because we have done nothing for the conference other than help make it the best volleyball conference, & give good attendance for the Baseball tournament when it is in Omaha.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u and nwflcock
All fine enough points. Up to this point I have been incredibly frustrated, but not outraged. Today was an outrage. I’m not personally outraged, but the preparation, game plan and coaching in the game.....this one game, might be the worst that I have ever seen. Ever. Nebraska should’ve rushed for 400 yards and kept that defense off balance all game. But from play 1, it was obvious that we try force our ‘system’ and offense into every situation and opponent, without any consideration of what might be the opponents weakness or our best opportunity on that Saturday. Bringing in Luke to immediately throw 2 passes is so mind numbingly stupid that I almost can’t even complain about it. Defies all logic. If this was a defense ready to defend the run and what Luke brings to the table, then by all means, get cute and tricky. But this was a defense that wouldn’t have been able to contain Luke. But did we do that? Hell no. Whatever. This is as so unacceptably bad in every way offensively that I don’t know how Scott and company sleep tonight. The players on this team, especially the seniors should be outraged. I mean red assed, Bo peeing his pants outraged. Our scheme, and playcalling took this opportunity away from the team. It was a football crime. F it.

I wouldn’t be so sure that Frost is in it for the long term. Best case scenario we go 4-8 next year and that won’t be good enough.

Now who is this Wood River whacko you’re referring to?

Does he have an RV?
tenor.gif

Elaborate more on the inside problems with frosts buddy? This is the first I’ve heard about but I’m a nobody
Frost prioritizes his buddies over the well-being of the program. Not really hanging out with the best crowd from what I've heard.

Frost prioritizes his buddies over the well-being of the program. Not really hanging out with the best crowd from what I've heard.
You sound like old lady Gladys from across the street.

From what I've heard.

It’s year three dude. If a coach is going to turn a program around, he would’ve done it or at the very least shown signs that it will happen. Frost is a lost cause, no sense in dragging this out any longer. Show him the door and go find a coach that will do better than this putrid record. I mean, right now to be a successful coach in Lincoln you just have to be able win just a few games and you are doing better than this clown car staff.

You sound like old lady Gladys from across the street.

From what I've heard.
Gerrod is one I've heard but there's probably more. Heck Chinander was really nothing more than a drinking buddy and look how far that's gone. He's more loyal to his drinking buddies than he is to the program, and it's sad a grown man can't figure out priorities or surrounding himself with people who will help him succeed rather than fail.

Reactions: artguy68 and Fed-Up
We've played 7 games. 3 of them have had questionable (at best) game changing holds on us. 2 TDs and a huge run by Martinez vs Iowa.

We've played 7 games. 3 of them have had questionable (at best) game changing holds on us. 2 TDs and a huge run by Martinez vs Iowa.

It’s year 3, excuses no longer work. We are oh so close to being a .500 team. That’s not good enough for year 3. We lost at home to a team that was Covid plagued.. think about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT