ADVERTISEMENT

OL offer

Current Rhode Island player, just entered the portal. Don't think Riola would have been in contact earlier.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yep, I'm not sure whats going on here. Gonna be tough for Rhule to win half the games at Neb. if Raiola is retained. Raiola produced one of the worst Olines this season I've ever seen. Didn't see much improvement from Dennis Wagner's lines
Dennis Wagner? His lines were always dang good at Nebraska, especially compared to anything lately.

I’ve been saying for several days that I won’t be shocked if he keeps Raiola. Meltdown in5,4,3,2…..
IF Raiola is retained, the offense will be no better than this past season...maybe even worse. The ONE position group that held back the entire offense in every single game was the offensive line. That offense with Whipple showed instances of brilliance when the Oline would occasionally do its job, but the problem was....it was only done sporadically. Combine that with the hiring of Satterfield as OC and the offense at least will be a dumpster fire

• Haha
Reactions: bshirt73 and WHCSC
IF Raiola is retained, the offense will be no better than this past season...maybe even worse. The ONE position group that held back the entire offense in every single game was the offensive line. That offense with Whipple showed instances of brilliance when the Oline would occasionally do its job, but the problem was....it was only done sporadically. Combine that with the hiring of Satterfield as OC and the offense at least will be a dumpster fire
Stop it. You don’t know anything.

Yep, I'm not sure whats going on here. Gonna be tough for Rhule to win half the games at Neb. if Raiola is retained. Raiola produced one of the worst Olines this season I've ever seen. Didn't see much improvement from Dennis Wagner's lines
Bill Callahan had a lot to do with coaching the O-line & he's one of the best O-line coaches around. If Rhule keeps Riaola it will be because he's a good coach.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Bill Callahan had a lot to do with coaching the O-line & he's one of the best O-line coaches around. If Rhule keeps Riaola it will be because he's a good coach.
You think Raiola all of a sudden is gonna figure out how to coach Oline at this pt. in his career? Highly doubtful. Raiola was a good player but terrible position coach

You think Raiola all of a sudden is gonna figure out how to coach Oline at this pt. in his career? Highly doubtful. Raiola was a good player but terrible position coach

I agree it's doubtful but Matt Rhule is said to be a good developer of young coaches as well as players. I don't think any of us have much patience left so if Rhule sees something in Raiola hopefully he brings it out of him quickly.

This is neither an endorsement or indictment of Raiola, but it's extremely unfair to assess any Oline coach under the circumstances Raiola inherited. And I would also note that the Oline generally improved as the season went on and did quite well against I_wa's vaunted defense. If Rhule retains Raiola I'm going to give the guy a chance with a better surrounding cast of coaches and players.

This is neither an endorsement or indictment of Raiola, but it's extremely unfair to assess any Oline coach under the circumstances Raiola inherited. And I would also note that the Oline generally improved as the season went on and did quite well against I_wa's vaunted defense. If Rhule retains Raiola I'm going to give the guy a chance with a better surrounding cast of coaches and players.
Expecting Raiola to all of a sudden become a good Oline coach i guess is possible, but not likely. This years offensive line was by far the worst position group on the offense this yr.

Reactions: oldjar07
Expecting Raiola to all of a sudden become a good Oline coach i guess is possible, but not likely. This years offensive line was by far the worst position group on the offense this yr.
but they might have got better towards the end? I was fearing iowa's d to maybe end thompson's career early.
how much was in the cupboard to start with?

We'll see what Rhule decides - supposedly he knows a thing or two about the OL.

I am a bit surprised that so far Rhule has neither rehired nor fired Raiola.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We'll see what Rhule decides - supposedly he knows a thing or two about the OL.

I am a bit surprised that so far Rhule has neither rehired nor fired Raiola.
Raiola is under contract so he doesn’t have to rehire him. It may be nothing more than the guy he wants is still coaching OR it could be that the board geniuses don’t know as much as they think

I find it hard to judge Raiola at this point. The players hes been working with have been so poorly developed. In fact I think most actually regressed under Austin. Whoever ends up as the O line coach needs some major talent upgrades.

I find it hard to judge Raiola at this point. The players hes been working with have been so poorly developed. In fact I think most actually regressed under Austin. Whoever ends up as the O line coach needs some major talent upgrades.
Hard to judge Raiola after an entire season of work? How many seasons should Raiola be allotted before showing improvement? There was zero improvement throughout the season

Hard to judge Raiola after an entire season of work? How many seasons should Raiola be allotted before showing improvement? There was zero improvement throughout the season
You're an idiot. There was definitely improvement throughout the season.. Stop with your charade and leave.. He's also the primary on the 2 instate OL everyone likes to nut over

You're an idiot. There was definitely improvement throughout the season.. Stop with your charade and leave.. He's also the primary on the 2 instate OL everyone likes to nut over
The in-state Oline kids would have gone to school here if Mickey Mouse was coach. You're a joke and so is Brock Knutson. A new version of Chris Walker. Waste of a scholarship. He should go to ISU and have a nice career there. I think Gottula and Sledge can be multi-yr. starters, esp. on the interior OL, but not without good coaching. Only a complete moron like yourself would think the Oline got better at any pt. during the season. I like Donovan Raiola as a person - he's a straightedge no-nonsense guy and I've enjoyed our conversations but he's a terrible developer of talent along the Oline. Anyone without rocks in their head like you can see that. There's a reason why the offense struggled this season and it started and ended with the offensive line.

You're the same idiot that thought Mike Cavanaugh was excellent as well.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
The in-state Oline kids would have gone to school here if Mickey Mouse was coach. You're a joke and so is Brock Knutson. A new version of Chris Walker. Waste of a scholarship. He should go to ISU and have a nice career there. I think Gottula and Sledge can be multi-yr. starters, esp. on the interior OL, but not without good coaching. Only a complete moron like yourself would think the Oline got better at any pt. during the season. I like Donovan Raiola as a person - he's a straightedge no-nonsense guy and I've enjoyed our conversations but he's a terrible developer of talent along the Oline. Anyone without rocks in their head like you can see that. There's a reason why the offense struggled this season and it started and ended with the offensive line.

Cavs name never came out of my mouth, nice try dummy..

I never said the offensive line didn't struggle did I? I said there was improvement from 1st to last game.. Big difference

Cavs name never came out of my mouth, nice try dummy..

I never said the offensive line didn't struggle did I? I said there was improvement from 1st to last game.. Big difference
No improvement throughout the yr. Raiola is just the newest version of Greg Austin and Mike Cavanaugh and whoever before that and whoever before that. Neb. will never be competitive in the Big 10 until an elite offensive line coach is hired - it's that simple. Raiola isn't that guy - no matter how much you or anyone else wants him to be successful. Is it possible there's a complete turnaround next season? Sure, anything in this world is possible but his performance history wouldn't indicate so

You're a moron. Garrison was the o-line coach before Cavanaugh and our o-line was top 20 nationally in rushing and very close to top 20 in sacks allowed. Literally nothing you say is ever correct. Can't wait for your next statement of fact that we can all laugh at.
Wasn't it a combo of Stai and Garrison that had us looking decent?

You're a moron. Garrison was the o-line coach before Cavanaugh and our o-line was top 20 nationally in rushing and very close to top 20 in sacks allowed. Literally nothing you say is ever correct. Can't wait for your next statement of fact that we can all laugh at.
I'm extremely educated and experienced. Garrison was a very average offensive line coach as well. This program has had terrible offensive line coaching for so many years - under multiple head coaches. And the win/loss records for the program overall reflects that. You're one of those idiots that always thinks terrible coaching just needs one more year to prove themselves - just one more yr. - I'm sure it'll get better next yr.

Except good coaching changes a units performance immediately and indisputably - no greater example than Bill Busch taking over the defense after Chinander was let go just this season. Mickey Joseph, a straight-shooter, corroborated my assessment multiple times this yr.

And now an important message from Recruiting Analyst’s mom

MV5BNWFhNzU1ZGUtMjUwNi00ZjFjLWFkYzYtZTU0NjQ3MmJkZGYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDY3OTcyOQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Last edited:
I'm extremely educated and experienced. Garrison was a very average offensive line coach as well. This program has had terrible offensive line coaching for so many years - under multiple head coaches. And the win/loss records for the program overall reflects that. You're one of those idiots that always thinks terrible coaching just needs one more year to prove themselves - just one more yr. - I'm sure it'll get better next yr.

Except good coaching changes a units performance immediately and indisputably - no greater example than Bill Busch taking over the defense after Chinander was let go just this season. Mickey Joseph, a straight-shooter, corroborated my assessment multiple times this yr.
We all know who the idiot is. You should save everyone time and make your next board name "I'mAn_Idiot"

ADVERTISEMENT