ADVERTISEMENT

OL Changes Coming?

My brother used to be involved with the Seward football team. He attended a coaches clinic for Nebraska HS coaches and assistants in Lincoln. My brother helped coach linebackers so he attended a session run by Cosgrove. He told me that of all the clinics he had attended that Cosgrove’s was the best. Said the guy could explain things really well and was unbelievably knowledgeable about how to defense modern offenses. When the defensive implosion happened in 2007 my brother was dumbfounded and told me that only one thing could explain it: player dissension.

Still… Callahan needed to sacrifice Cosgrove. That 2007 defense was historically horrible. And no matter the cause, the buck stops with Cosgrove.
one of the best posts I've read about Cosgrove. My family member who knew Bill also knew Cozgove. Said he also was a really good guy. What a few Husker fans put his family through was criminal. Unfortunately the people who were angry at Pedie for firing Frank were out to burn things down. I could name some names of former players who helped melt things down that last year but it would turn in to a pissing match. I think most people could guess who one of them was. Former players were absolutely the number one reason that Tom didn't keep Callahan.

Banks started at Illinois. Wasn't good
Small sample. First starts can be tough. It sure as hell would be easier I think to play at home for an offensive linemen as far as getting the line calls. Add to it that our O line coach admitted that he hadn't prepared them for the fronts they faced and wasn't able to adapt well during the game.

Sounds like Frost is injecting himself more into the oline at practice this week. Said positions are up for grabs. We'll see if that proves true or not this Saturday...

Reactions: dinglefritz
What have you done with the real Rambo?
unlike some of the other cavemen who post here, I am capable of objective observation & adjustment of opinion based on new info

I honestly think we will run the ball (successfully) 35x+ on Saturday, and only 10 will come from the QB position. the clock may never stop

Three things doomed Callahan. The two you mentioned and his combining the words "flustered" and "frustrated" and making "flustrated". That used to drive me nuts.
Callahan could never get out from under the 'slashing necks, cashin checks' sound bite

Reactions: egaRdeR
I played four years of OL in H.S. Very little as a starter, but I really absorbed what I could in practice.
laughing-lol.gif

Small sample. First starts can be tough. It sure as hell would be easier I think to play at home for an offensive linemen as far as getting the line calls. Add to it that our O line coach admitted that he hadn't prepared them for the fronts they faced and wasn't able to adapt well during the game.

He struggled (at least according to PFF standards which are certainly debated often on RSS) against Fordham and Buffalo as well.

Sounds like Frost is injecting himself more into the oline at practice this week. Said positions are up for grabs. We'll see if that proves true or not this Saturday...
I saw that and kind of thought…. what took you so long coach???
Not saying he was neglecting it before, but it feels a little late to the party to come out and announce you’re going to step in and help fix what has been a problem for 5 weeks (or 5+ years).

one of the best posts I've read about Cosgrove. My family member who knew Bill also knew Cozgove. Said he also was a really good guy. What a few Husker fans put his family through was criminal. Unfortunately the people who were angry at Pedie for firing Frank were out to burn things down. I could name some names of former players who helped melt things down that last year but it would turn in to a pissing match. I think most people could guess who one of them was. Former players were absolutely the number one reason that Tom didn't keep Callahan.
Yeah the "Tradition Coalition" were destroying NU football from the inside and much of the current state of NU football is a result of that internal warfare. When Solich hired Barney Cotton to replace him as OC it was obvious he wasn't serious about improving the playcalling.

He's an under rated OC as well. Like him or not, hate the WCO or not, the guy is a helluva coach. People who knew him well on a personal level in Lincoln really liked him. They said on a personal level he was just a blue collar down to earth nice guy who didn't handle the media, alums and fan relations well. Just what I've heard from a family member and an acquaintance who knew him well. It's interesting for as badly as he was portrayed by fans and alums, the guy could win the living room and recruit.

I don't remember people ever having bad things to say about BCALLahan personally, it was his decision to keep his buddy Coz that was his downfall.
I don't remember any fans or alums speaking bad about BC on. Alderson level, just obout his undying loyalty to Coz..

Reactions: bigredhunter
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think he was invested in being at Nebraska and would have parlayed any success into a different job pretty quickly. People forget he was very much a square peg in a round hole.
Not unless he had other college teams as suitors offering him $ that NU wouldn't match. OR unless an NFL HC gig came calling.

I mean he wouldn't leave to take a 2plus mil paycut to be a position coach or coordinator in the NFL..

I dont understand the square peg in round hole analogy..he came from a small town, recruited reasonably well, just needed to get rid of his DC buddy..

I dont understand the square peg in round hole analogy..he came from a small town, recruited reasonably well, just needed to get rid of his DC buddy..
That's okay, you don't have to understand it because you weren't here and didn't see firsthand how uncomfortable he was here with the college game and Nebraska's traditions. Is it that hard to believe that if he had had success at Nebraska (he didn't, duh) he would have had NFL offers?

Bill C was a terrible fit here. He should have never been hired, and he shouldn't have been kept around any longer than he was. Anything else is revisionist history and doesn't really need to be rehashed.

Reactions: bshirt73
Your posts are becoming insufferable.

A) This isn’t the first time he’s made changes to personnel on the OL. That is a moronic thing to say. Farmer taking over a center, Farniok moving inside to OG, Wilson getting benched, Piper getting benched, etc, etc.

B) You also don’t seem to know much about OL play. You keep talking about “schemes”. But I’m not sure you know what that word actually means. For example we run just as much power stuff as we do zone. Pin and Pull, Belly Down, etc. Yet you seem to believe all we do is “shield” with our OL??

C) You don’t change your system/schemes in the middle of the season, that would be a disaster for even a JH team.

I understand being frustrated, I am as frustrated as anyone, but we really should try to look at things objectively and live in reality.
Your efforts here are admirable, but in case of who you are responding to ….. you can’t fix stupid.

Reactions: headcard
That's okay, you don't have to understand it because you weren't here and didn't see firsthand how uncomfortable he was here with the college game and Nebraska's traditions. Is it that hard to believe that if he had had success at Nebraska (he didn't, duh) he would have had NFL offers?

Ur not being serious here right?

BC was a college coach his first 14years of coaching EVER before getting an NFL gig, and only had coached in the NFL for 8yrs before getting the NU gig.
From 1990-1994 he coached at Wisky..u know a place w tradition that closely resembles NU..?

So to say he was uncomfortable coaching at the college level and about college traditions is actually pretty comical..of u think about it.

Now he "might" have been uncomfortable as a HEAD coach since he had only done that for 2yrs total prior to the NU gig..and that is probably more of where his uneasiness may have been..

But uneasiness about coaching in college or becuz of NU traditions? Ur barking up the wrong tree there..

Sorry..

I would normally say things can't get much worse but I'm not sure that's the right thing to say with a Frost led team.
Yep. The problem is SF and the Offensive staff are just not detailed oriented guys and it shows on the field and the scoreboard. The opposition are likely putting in more work watching film, game planning, etc.

Fitzpatrick is a smart coach. On paper we probably should destroy NW, but I would be surprised if this happens as the OP points out we have SF led team.

Defense is playing great but not good enough to carry a leaky Offensive Line, and a sub pee-wee level Special Teams. I mean seriously…6 year olds could run circles around our Special Teams. If our Offense does hum along with the Defense, Special Teams WILL find a way to lose the game.

Reactions: bshirt73
That is sad. Isn’t it ironic that the side doing the best work coaching on this team are NOT former players?

Post TO, former players on staff haven’t had that great of a track record here and the person we all thought should be able to fix this has failed miserably!

Reactions: BleedRed78
I wonder why it’s taken this long for the staff to look at making changes..

While the board has been screaming about the OL for a month at least, we may be in for a surprise here, with the shuffle of personnel producing even worse results.

Seems this is what happens mid-season, the staff reacts to the fans, makes changes, things don’t go so well, and they end up switching back, after a couple more losses.

At some point, you have to actually COACH these players into being successful.

Take the time to actually teach and explain the details, then rep it.

Telling guys to be more nasty is not coaching.

my .02 anyway

I wonder why it’s taken this long for the staff to look at making changes..

While the board has been screaming about the OL for a month at least, we may be in for a surprise here, with the shuffle of personnel producing even worse results.

Seems this is what happens mid-season, the staff reacts to the fans, makes changes, things don’t go so well, and they end up switching back, after a couple more losses.

At some point, you have to actually COACH these players into being successful.

Take the time to actually teach and explain the details, then rep it.

Telling guys to be more nasty is not coaching.

my .02 anyway

They had already made one change benching Piper and when a player has a zero grade in pass pro, it's probably time to make a change there too.

Do you really think that they aren't coaching the players and are just telling them to be more nasty? You seem to be taking a small quote completely out of context. It's not an either/or situation. They need to play their assignments and play with some aggression.

Personally I think we are overdue for some changes on the OL and I hope it turns out like it did when the shuffled the line in 2018, when they moved Farmer to Center.

I don't remember people ever having bad things to say about BCALLahan personally, it was his decision to keep his buddy Coz that was his downfall.
I don't remember any fans or alums speaking bad about BC on. Alderson level, just obout his undying loyalty to Coz..
I take it you weren't on this board and didn't listen to call in talk radio back then. Of course the same thing is happening to a lesser degree to Frost right now. Two years ago Chinander was getting accused of being gay and Frost's lover on this board.

Reactions: Laner2
That is sad. Isn’t it ironic that the side doing the best work coaching on this team are NOT former players?

Post TO, former players on staff haven’t had that great of a track record here and the person we all thought should be able to fix this has failed miserably!
Well I think Garrison and Barney were better O line coaches than they got credit for when they were here. I also think Barney was probably a better OC than he got credit for given what he walked in to talent wise when he took the job. Barney was hamstrung by Frank's indecision on game day. If you look back, Barney actually recruited and developed some pretty good O linemen for Bo. Just not quite enough of them and his best one was a walk on.

ADVERTISEMENT