ADVERTISEMENT

OL Changes Coming?

He's an under rated OC as well. Like him or not, hate the WCO or not, the guy is a helluva coach. People who knew him well on a personal level in Lincoln really liked him. They said on a personal level he was just a blue collar down to earth nice guy who didn't handle the media, alums and fan relations well. Just what I've heard from a family member and an acquaintance who knew him well. It's interesting for as badly as he was portrayed by fans and alums, the guy could win the living room and recruit.
I liked Callahan. I thought he was a dignified guy. Two things doomed him. His loyalty to Cosgrove and whatever promises he had made to Sam Kellar to get him to come to Lincoln. Ganz was the better QB but did not get a chance until Sam broke his collarbone against Texas.

Ohio State will be up there but I said after the OU game that OSU was no better than OU. I predicted 8 wins before the season. Obviously with the clunker at Illinois and this last minute debacle, that is less likely but I sure as hell think 7 is still possible.
I agree. But damn we have to fix our special teams and get our offensive line playing better.

I liked Callahan. I thought he was a dignified guy. Two things doomed him. His loyalty to Cosgrove and whatever promises he had made to Sam Kellar to get him to come to Lincoln. Ganz was the better QB but did not get a chance until Sam broke his collarbone against Texas.
Well he was handcuffed more by some of the assistants the Pedie suggested he hire on defense. Cosgrove wasn't terrible the next to last year. That last year he had a full on player revolt on defense. I could be wrong but I think Cosgrove was a defensive analyst for LSU the year they won the title with Burrow. We had a player on the team who had an older brother who played for Frank. He literally was telling his younger brother and the other DBs to play different techniques than Coz' was coaching.

Reactions: grote40
He's an under rated OC as well. Like him or not, hate the WCO or not, the guy is a helluva coach. People who knew him well on a personal level in Lincoln really liked him. They said on a personal level he was just a blue collar down to earth nice guy who didn't handle the media, alums and fan relations well. Just what I've heard from a family member and an acquaintance who knew him well. It's interesting for as badly as he was portrayed by fans and alums, the guy could win the living room and recruit.
yep. pretty rare for a guy to have a career like he's had and be basically universally liked.

I've never heard a single bad thing about him in NFL circles, of which I am no part.

Best coach we've had since Osborne, and not really close.

Well he was handcuffed more by some of the assistants the Pedie suggested he hire on defense. Cosgrove wasn't terrible the next to last year. That last year he had a full on player revolt on defense. I could be wrong but I think Cosgrove was a defensive analyst for LSU the year they won the title with Burrow. We had a player on the team who had an older brother who played for Frank. He literally was telling his younger brother and the other DBs to play different techniques than Coz' was coaching.
My brother used to be involved with the Seward football team. He attended a coaches clinic for Nebraska HS coaches and assistants in Lincoln. My brother helped coach linebackers so he attended a session run by Cosgrove. He told me that of all the clinics he had attended that Cosgrove’s was the best. Said the guy could explain things really well and was unbelievably knowledgeable about how to defense modern offenses. When the defensive implosion happened in 2007 my brother was dumbfounded and told me that only one thing could explain it: player dissension.

Still… Callahan needed to sacrifice Cosgrove. That 2007 defense was historically horrible. And no matter the cause, the buck stops with Cosgrove.

Three things doomed Callahan. The two you mentioned and his combining the words "flustered" and "frustrated" and making "flustrated". That used to drive me nuts.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If Billy C. would have replaced his life long buddy Cosgrove at DC he may have been our head coach for many years.

If Billy C. would have replaced his life long buddy Cosgrove at DC he may have been our head coach for many years.
The trouble is that Callahan would have had to fire him in the previous year, but the defense was ok that year. By the time you get to the troubles in 2007, Pederson is fired and Osborne is hired. At that point, even if Callahan had fired Cosgrove mid season, it was too late. Osborne was brought in to fire Callahan and there was nothing Callahan could do at that point anyway.

Reactions: bigredhunter
I’m not an OL coach, but my five cents are:
1. reduce the trinket pulling guys around responsibilities (simplify by 30%)
2. all footwork, all week. It’s about keeping the feet moving, especially laterally. rep it constantly
3. more designed rollouts for AM (he’s gonna do it anyway, better by design)
4. learn at least ONE flipping RB screen to get behind an attacking D!!
5. have to get Adrian’s eyes downfield to take shots and keep safeties from owning our sub-10 yard comfort zone.
Did not realize our next head coach was right here on RSS.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N
The trouble is that Callahan would have had to fire him in the previous year, but the defense was ok that year. By the time you get to the troubles in 2007, Pederson is fired and Osborne is hired. At that point, even if Callahan had fired Cosgrove mid season, it was too late. Osborne was brought in to fire Callahan and there was nothing Callahan could do at that point anyway.
And some are assuming that Alberts was hired to fire Frost.. But there is more to the story behind Moos why he was let go with a nice retirement gift..

Defense ? Seems like OL has been more of the issue at Iowa so far.
You are probably right, I never watch them, it is like watching paint dry and then painting over that dry paint only to watch it dry again. In all my life I have never said "Can't wait for that Iowa game" unless they are playing NU.

I grew up in Illinois and Iowa was the least covered Big Ten football team in the state, well, not counting the Illini and NW, the paper also did not cover them because they were busy covering Michigan and the Irish.

Reactions: headcard
I'm sure it's been discussed and I missed it, but how about Cam running down the guy on the interception in overtime? Total freak. If any NFL scouts were watching they probably creamed themselves.
Busted his ass on the play, but AM made the play not Cam.
Belichick gave Ben Watson a game ball after sprinting 80 yards across field to knock the interceptor out of bounds. Ben's a cool, smart dude. Good friends with my son.

My biggest concern on the play was Cam pulling a hamstring or taking a bad step and having to miss time getting repaired.

Reactions: jsachisler
Keller played well while he was here. He played against the toughest defenses on the schedule that year. Ganz got to played against the weaker ones.

2020 (8 games): We averaged 4.8 ypc rushing and gave up 16 sacks through 8 games.

2021 (5 games): We're averaging 4.3 ypc rushing and have given up 18 sacks.

• Wow
Reactions: Rick.Shaw
I remember him and coach Osborne having a strong mutual admiration of each other too.

So it takes Scott Frost 3 years and 5 games into his 4th season to "possibly make changes to the OL." He's only doing that since he is on the verge of getting fired. he isn't going to change the schemes, just put out a new body since his schemes are not the problem according to him.

My brother used to be involved with the Seward football team. He attended a coaches clinic for Nebraska HS coaches and assistants in Lincoln. My brother helped coach linebackers so he attended a session run by Cosgrove. He told me that of all the clinics he had attended that Cosgrove’s was the best. Said the guy could explain things really well and was unbelievably knowledgeable about how to defense modern offenses. When the defensive implosion happened in 2007 my brother was dumbfounded and told me that only one thing could explain it: player dissension.

Still… Callahan needed to sacrifice Cosgrove. That 2007 defense was historically horrible. And no matter the cause, the buck stops with Cosgrove.
Nothing against your brother, but I also listened to a Cosgrove multiple times and actually got to talk to him about a couple ideas once.

His answer to almost everything was running man-free…which for most coaches is a last resort deal.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
So it takes Scott Frost 3 years and 5 games into his 4th season to "possibly make changes to the OL." He's only doing that since he is on the verge of getting fired. he isn't going to change the schemes, just put out a new body since his schemes are not the problem according to him.

Your posts are becoming insufferable.

A) This isn’t the first time he’s made changes to personnel on the OL. That is a moronic thing to say. Farmer taking over a center, Farniok moving inside to OG, Wilson getting benched, Piper getting benched, etc, etc.

B) You also don’t seem to know much about OL play. You keep talking about “schemes”. But I’m not sure you know what that word actually means. For example we run just as much power stuff as we do zone. Pin and Pull, Belly Down, etc. Yet you seem to believe all we do is “shield” with our OL??

C) You don’t change your system/schemes in the middle of the season, that would be a disaster for even a JH team.

I understand being frustrated, I am as frustrated as anyone, but we really should try to look at things objectively and live in reality.

Last edited:

A) This isn’t the first time he’s made changes to personnel on the OL. That is a moronic thing to say. Farmer taking over a center, Farniok moving inside to OG, Wilson getting benched, Piper getting benched, etc, etc.

B) You also don’t seem to know much about OL play. You keep talking about “schemes”. But I’m not sure you know what means. For example we run just as much power stuff as we do zone. Pin and Pull, Belly Down, etc. Yet you seem to believe all we do is “shield” with our OL??

C) You don’t change your system/schemes in the middle of the season, that would be a disaster for even a JH team.

I understand being frustrated, I am as frustrated as anyone, but we really should try to look at things objectively and live in reality.
not sure what you expect from a minn fan

those people wouldn't know a football if it was lodged in their small intestine

we're 10.5 point favorites at home

nw is awful

our defense will cover that spread by itself

I think the offense will come out firing

we're going 5-2 or 6-1 the rest of the way
Frost has 2 HUGE opportunities that he better take advantage the next 2 weeks.

Back-to-back games under the lights with raucous Husker night crowds. With a losing record, that’s an outlier in the middle of Big Ten play. Plus, these teams aren’t Ohio State 2019 with Justin Fields & Chase Young. Get back to fundamentals on the OL and beat NW soundly, then come up with a sneaky uppercut for Harbaugh. Damn it would good to win!!

The absolutely weirdest, most unbelievable stat I have ever seen.

ℍ𝕦𝕤𝕜𝕖𝕣𝕤 𝕋𝕒𝕝𝕜 | Nebraska Sports

@TalkHuskers

#Huskers ranked 117 out of 130 in SACKS ALLOWED
Upside-down face
Disappointed face
Pouting face
But… still managed to have a top 25 offense!!

9:01 AM · Sep 27, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Retweets

Quote Tweets

B) You also don’t seem to know much about OL play. You keep talking about “schemes”. But I’m not sure you know what that word actually means. For example we run just as much power stuff as we do zone. Pin and Pull, Belly Down, etc. Yet you seem to believe all we do is “shield” with our OL??

Of course the system can't change in the middle of the season. But I have always believed that we should be preparing, from the first day of spring ball, some group of plays using an extra lineman as a FB or a TE.

I played four years of OL in H.S. Very little as a starter, but I really absorbed what I could in practice.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT