ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Recruiting

I love your optimism and I hope you're right but it's going to be tough to bring in top 10 classes. Yes I know Callahan did but he signed a huge class the year he did it.

I just don't see us outrecruiting Alabama, Ohio St , Georgia, Florida St, Clemson, Penn St, USC, UCLA, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, LSU, Notre Dame and Auburn on a year to year basis.

Top 15 for sure with an occasional Top 10 every five years or so.
Nebraska may not be able to out recruit those teams, but they should be able to stay with or close to them most years. And we’ve seen what Frostco can do when it comes to coaching. There’s a lot of work to be done the next few years to get Nebraska level up with those you mentioned, but it will happen.

You serious? Bo Pelini almost had a top 10 class and he dreaded recruiting. Frost and his staff enjoy it. Once we get some good wins and good seasons we will be more then fine.
2011? Just because we were ranked 15th doesn't mean we were close to breaking into the Top 10. I think that year we were closer to being ranked #20 than we were #10.

Never said we wouldn't be fine. Just that I find it unlikely we'll be pulling in Top 10 recruiting classes more than once per 5 years. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing

I love your optimism and I hope you're right but it's going to be tough to bring in top 10 classes. Yes I know Callahan did but he signed a huge class the year he did it.

I just don't see us outrecruiting Alabama, Ohio St , Georgia, Florida St, Clemson, Penn St, USC, UCLA, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, LSU, Notre Dame and Auburn on a year to year basis.

Top 15 for sure with an occasional Top 10 every five years or so.
Clemson is an excellent example - they recruited the same as Nebraska for several years and in fact you could tell talent wise we were similar when we played in 2008 - However they then took a step up to around 11-15 or so but they did not recruit top ten until they got into national title range starting in 2015

Reactions: HuskerO
Clemson is an excellent example - they recruited the same as Nebraska for several years and in fact you could tell talent wise we were similar when we played in 2008 - However they then took a step up to around 11-15 or so but they did not recruit top ten until they got into national title range starting in 2015

Just like TO.....top 10 recruiting for his last three years AFTER 1993 & 1994.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Clemson is a good example, but they were right there on the fringe of Top 10 on a year-to-year basis prior to after 2015.

2011: Clemson #8 (signed 29)
2012: Clemson #14 (signed 20)
2013: Clemson #14 (signed 23)
2014: Clemson #13 (signed 22)

Winning will most definitely help recruiting, but so does location (which I know you agree with). Teams like UCLA, USC, Miami, Florida St, Texas, etc can benefit by having down years but still pull in Top 10 recruiting classes.

Again, I'm not too worried about signing Top 10 classes with Frost as he'll coach his players up. But it is important to pull in Top 15 classes year-to-year with players who will stick and to recruit what is needed.

Last edited:
How does OU have two 5 star players and four 4 star players already committed with Lincoln Riley? Do you think NU with Scott Frost momentum from Central Florida will be able to recruit the highly recruited players or will it be tough to reel them in? Like BTN Gerry Dinardo Spring Tour at Nebraska said NU is lacking the depth and quality of the best teams in the conference. So we'll see what Scott can do. Too bad we lost out on Bookie to OU, he's making a case to be their starting CB, a position that we definitely needed.

Lincoln Riley has put a stronger emphasis on recruiting than did Stoops in his later years as the OU coach. Riley has been a lot more intense in the recruiting efforts and has changed some of the recruiting efforts so far. Proximity to recruits is also important and the changes in recruiting over the last 20 or so years has amplified that. But, most of the bigger programs recruit nationally so national reputation of the school and the coaches, facilities, and traditional record also play a huge importance to recruits.

OU has also just opened in the last year and a half elaborate new facilities primarily in the athlete amenities area. The school spent almost 200 million on these new facilities and this was mentioned by commits as playing a part of their decision, along with the family atmosphere they experienced in the football program.

Also, Lincoln Riley has developed a reputation as probably the brightest and most promising young coach in the country. He has shown that he can develop talent at most positions....primarily the offensive positions. In the last three years he has developed a Heisman Trophy winner (and two other top five finalists), a Mackey winner as the top tight end in the country, and a Biletnikoff winner. All within the last three years. Recruits see how he develops talent and take notice.

It is still early in the recruiting process for 2019 so it is impossible to see how things will finally turn out. But, so far Riley has been a refreshing replacement for Stoops who was very good also. Recruits commit and then de-commit during the process so everyone will have to wait til next February to see the final results, but so far Riley looks like he will be successful in his first recruiting class.

Oklahoma has almost always out recruited Nebraska, even during the Osborne years. It wasn't until that ten year span, post Switzer and pre Stoops, that we outrecruited them.

Boom. Osborne did recruit better than Bo or Riley, and Frost remains to be seen after a full year in his system. But my "gut" is we never out-recruit the big dogs for #1 Qbs, WR, or DE. For that matter, we will probably be a solid afterthought to a lot of elite recruits. So what.

It's about the guys that make it to Lincoln, and what they become/accomplish...GBR

P.S. Success in Frost's system will bring in more talent, over time

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The 2019 recruiting class will be the first class signed by both Frost and Riley.
Huh? So Riley did no recruiting for the 2018 class? His team’s performance during the 2017 season had no bearing on the 2018 class? Stoops recruited Bookie?

Come on, at least recognize that Riley had ample opportunities in 2017 to impact recruits on and off the field compared to Frost’s opportunities at Nebraska.

To claim that Riley’s first class at OU will be 2019 is factually correct, in that it is exclusively his recruits being signed. But I don’t buy for a second that 2018 was done mostly by Stoops.

Huh? So Riley did no recruiting for the 2018 class? His team’s performance during the 2017 season had no bearing on the 2018 class? Stoops recruited Bookie?

Come on, at least recognize that Riley had ample opportunities in 2017 to impact recruits on and off the field compared to Frost’s opportunities at Nebraska.

To claim that Riley’s first class at OU will be 2019 is factually correct, in that it is exclusively his recruits being signed. But I don’t buy for a second that 2018 was done mostly by Stoops.

Riley was on staff while many of the 18 recruits were recruited so yes, he did have some impact. But a lot of the recruits were mainly recruited by Stoops and Riley finished up on Stoops efforts. Most of the recruits signed were originated by the Stoops efforts, but Riley finished it up after he took over. But, didn't Frost bring in some of the recruits he recruited while in Florida? Riley's reputation as a developer of talent plays huge with recruits and this class of 2019 will be the first that he had full control over the recruiting efforts....Like Frost will have full control over the entire 2019 recruitment efforts. This is the first full recruiting year for both.....and that was what I was trying to say....both had some effect on the 2018 class but 2019 will be the first full recruiting cycle for both.....there is a whole lot of time left in the recruiting cycle for 2019 so lets see how the classes turn out.

Lincoln Riley also has an entire season at OU under his belt, a season where he led his team to the playoffs.

Agree with you on that.....but each will have a full year of recruiting efforts for the 2019 recruiting class. Yes, Riley had more time on the 2018 class but the 2019 class is where each will have a full year in control of the recruiting efforts.

Reactions: timnsun
I bet most would gladly reverse the situation if we had it to do over again.
You don't get it...he took the top recruiting classes in the country and went 7 and 7...and then he had barely top 40 classes when he was fired and was undersigning because he didn't want to hit the road. Remember that same Frankie had a chance to make another BCS program...nobody hired him. For a reason.

We need to win.

These old and tired arguments from worthless years past are more than tiresome. Who gives a shit who lost more, or why? None of them got it done.

In Frost We Trust.

Reactions: SOHusker11
PlanOUred, you made you're way here? I guess with the Scout collapse, where else would you go? Hopefully your comments don't devolve into condescending remarks about the Huskers, as they did on that board.

We were 4-8 last year, and not even as good as that record would indicate. What this means is that as fans, we are now free to focus less on 5 star talent, and more on seeing a competent team with an overall game plan/strategy. It's as simple as winning games. We have seen coaches that were frankly awful still recruit well to Lincoln. My best advice would be to forget about recruiting rankings. Your peace of mind will skyrocket. No one player will save us. But one coach might.

Our guys for example ... 23 pounds of new muscle in a few months.

Oklahoma has almost always out recruited Nebraska, even during the Osborne years. It wasn't until that ten year span, post Switzer and pre Stoops, that we outrecruited them.

Close proximity to DFW helps mommas see their sons play too... isn’t like 75% of OU roster typically Texans?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
We were 4-8 last year, and not even as good as that record would indicate. What this means is that as fans, we are now free to focus less on 5 star talent, and more on seeing a competent team with an overall game plan/strategy. It's as simple as winning games. We have seen coaches that were frankly awful still recruit well to Lincoln. My best advice would be to forget about recruiting rankings. Your peace of mind will skyrocket. No one player will save us. But one coach might.

Our guys for example ... 23 pounds of new muscle in a few months.
how much is that per person, the average?

It used to be all the top Texas recruits went to Texas and OU first then Texas A&M - over the last 5-7 years that was not the case. However Texas has now stepped back up and is owning the top recruits again, I expect OU will follow suit. This is going to hurt some other schools like OSU who stepped into that void, Alabama also

It used to be all the top Texas recruits went to Texas and OU first then Texas A&M - over the last 5-7 years that was not the case. However Texas has now stepped back up and is owning the top recruits again, I expect OU will follow suit. This is going to hurt some other schools like OSU who stepped into that void, Alabama also

Disagree. Texas A&M is very strong in Houston and South East Texas. With Texas A&M being in the SEC, those SEC schools will pull from Texas just like the big 12 schools used to.

Is getting commitments from 9 4-star players while working part-time in Lincoln for 2 months chopped-liver or something???

Disagree. Texas A&M is very strong in Houston and South East Texas. With Texas A&M being in the SEC, those SEC schools will pull from Texas just like the big 12 schools used to.
You may be right but outside of A&M and maybe Missouri the SEC does not recruit Texas any better than the Big10 does. In fact over the last couple of years I would say the Big10 has done better minus Texas A&M

Nebraska does need to recruit Texas but I do not believe joining the Big10 was the reason for our Texas recruiting to fall off. I think Pelini emphasized Ohio once we joined and Riley stuck with what he knew which was recruiting the West coast. Frost I think will recruit Texas much harder and is off to a good start with two top 50 Texas recruits last year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT